Universal Cultist Simulator (by Weather Factory & Playdigious)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 1, 2019.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hate to chime in with more negativity, but yep...I'm another person who could never get into this. I don't think I've deleted and reinstalled a game as much as I have this. It's especially overwhelming having no clue what you're doing on a smaller iPhone screen.

ste86uk likes this.
  2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    As a counterpoint, I love the hell out of this game. It’s not for everyone, clearly, but the storytelling that comes about from how you choose to approach things is spectacular.

One of my favourite moments was from a run, where I was dabbling with painting and lucked upon some exotic pigments - so of course I used them and painted one of my occult sponsors.

Naturally, I was immediately investigated and as the evidence kept mounting against me, in desperation I used what limited arcane knowledge I had to summon a shadowy creature to take out the investigator.

The ritual went wrong and the creature fatally injured one of my followers before being subdued. It succeeded in its purpose though and dutifully brought me the investigator’s body.

I messed with things I didn’t fully understand yet and ended up with a trail of blood leading directly to my front door. Because of how much I invested in the ritual I had neglected other aspects and had no resources ready to throw off suspicion and divert attention...

Of course they sent more investigators. I never stood a chance. It was magnificent.

3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    For another counterpoint, I absolutely hated this game. :)

But know it has it’s fans.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    See? I WANT to get this stuff, but instead, right from the get-go, all I see are timers, cards fading away, having to constantly pause, text that's too small and...I'm done. Out of there.

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I’m sure it helps that I started on PC (I got it on PC the day before it released on iOS so I knew what I was doing).

Once you get the basics down then it’s easier to branch out and experiment with the cool stuff, but heavy micromanagement is at the core of absolutely everything you do. That’s not for everyone - and that’s okay!

I’ve noticed that the people who like this game REALLY like it, whereas those who don’t REALLY don’t. :p

p.s. I approached the constant pausing (because that’s indeed how I play) as “I set these things in motion, let them play out, and pause again to read the consequences”. In a way this game is closer to an interactive book and an alternative method of storytelling that a traditional game.

6. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    It’s on sale again at 70% off so you can get the game and the 3 DLC for £5 or your equivalent.

I’ve taken the plunge. We’ll see which side of this fence I end up on.

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Currently on sale for 89p I believe the cheapest it’s ever been. I’ve been tempted by this one a while but was never sure if I would enjoy it or not but at that price I’ll probably find out.

AltsKev likes this.
  8. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    same for me, i'm tempted but not sure if i ll like it

ste86uk likes this.
  9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Cultist Simulator is polarising. You will either love it, or it’s not your thing. There’s kinda no in-between that I’ve seen.

Here’s a litmus test, using an unrelated game: Does the idea of Wilmot’s Warehouse appeal to you? (https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/wilmots-warehouse/id1502285605) If yes, you will probably enjoy Cultist Similator on some level. If no, well… you might still enjoy it, but it’s not definitive.

@AltsKev @ste86uk

AltsKev, ste86uk and andsoitgoes like this.
  10. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

For the price honestly it's worth the risk. It's an involved game, not a lot of it is explained but as you delve deeper, more makes sense and it really opens up.

a casual game it is not.

AltsKev and ste86uk like this.
  11. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @Echoseven I did actually want that game but never got it, I think maybe it was just an expensive week and it didn’t sound worth its price compared to other choices.

Not sure if I’d of liked it or not but I was definitely interested in that one too.

Echoseven likes this.