Universal Cubemen2 - (by 3 Sprockets)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 5, 2013.

1. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The price has only ever been US$1.99. Cubemen 1 is US$99c.

I am not sure where/how any of you are seeing it cheaper unless you are getting confused with the CUbemen 1 pricing.

2. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Though we can't prevent you from buying it for the iPhone 4, we only support the iPhone 4s+ (as stated on the description). On the 4s, the game runs great and it totally screams on the iPhone 5 :)

Yes, the iPad version has the level editor. We did try to get the level editor working on the smaller iPhone screens, but it was just a bad user experience, so we decided not to ship it for the Phones.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Is there any chance Cubeman 1 will become iPhone compatible or Universal? ...Or does Cubeman 2 render Cubeman 1 obsolete?

4. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    the description on the first page says that it's .99$/69p
    So I'm blaming whoever wrote that :p
    Thanks for clearing it up though

5. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sorry, but Cubemen 1 will never ship for phones. It would need too much of a re-write and re-implementation to have it work... which is why we completely started from scratch with Cubemen 2.

I would not say it makes it obsolete as we updated Cubemen 1 a few weeks ago with new features and fixes, way after Cubemen 2 came out on Steam.

That said, all of our main efforts are on Cubemen 2 now :)

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I understand IAP is only for cosmetic items and not consumeable; however, I am not sure the large quantity of cosmetic only IAP is necessarily "fair" to users either. I'm all for supporting the development of additional content and have purchased alternative skin images for other games but if the total IAP for a unlockables in a $2 games is dozens of dollars, that seems excessive and makes me question this download altogether. That makes Cubeman 2 feel like a freemium game to me; just more of a balanced one. As a consumer I like and will pay for optional content but feel like I should be able to buy everything for a reasonable cost. Cubeman 2 looks great but I'll probably wait until I can see the IAP list on US App Store before deciding on it.

7. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We do offer 3 pack bundles for both Unit skins and level themes, but yes I see your point.

To be honest, the reason we did it this way as that we figure players will maybe only buy 1 or 2 skins (if any at all), just their favourite ones, and stick with them rather than buy many skins or themes.

So giving everyone a choice to buy ONLY what they want felt like a better option that making people buy stuff they don't want, just to get one thing they do want.

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Seeing responsive developers goes a long way.

I understand the point of giving users more choice and the ability of buying only cosmetic items they want; it just seems like optional IAP overkill. The option of bundles is a lot more appealing to me. I'll be looking forward to the details when visible on US App Store.

9. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Just bought it and browsed through the skins, any chance of getting some Roman's/Spartans/Gladiators so I can recreate Spartacus. :D

Would have probably been cool to have the skins/level packs as unlockables in game but I suppose the devs want to try and make some extra cash where they can.
    @undeadcow there are 9levels skins and 6 player skins for free though.

10. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, we will add more in future updates, including more free ones :)

Roman soliders is already on our list.

11. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #31 oooooomonkey, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    Cool thanks,
    To be fair the only level skin that tempts me is the "my craft" one :D
    I played through the first game without even changing the skins or colours though, I like the simple style of the default setting.

Edit: just had a look through the achievements and they seem pretty cool, designed to make you see everything in the game and a few for killing a certain number of enemy's to keep you playing.
    There's 46 of them In case anyone's wondering.

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah, I was going to add that the reason behind so many skins at $0.99 seemed to be so that you can just pick the few you like and leave the rest.

If I'm totally honest, my favourite design is the minimalistic no-skin skin. So I don't feel pressured into buying IAP at all and if I do, it'll just be in support of the dev.

It would be somewhat ridiculous to miss out on this game due to a wide selection of cosmetic IAP being present. The gameplay is brilliant and we're already being spoiled by the amount of content on offer. It's a quality app.

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, yeah... banter aside I already downloaded Cubeman 2 in the time after I was grumbling about cosmetic IAP overload. I'm glad the developers made this one Universal.

14. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I played and enjoyed the first cubemen game so I was kind of expecting just more of the same with the sequel but after playing it for an hour this is a brilliant sequel, from the few levels I've played and what I see in the menus there's loads of levels to play and game modes to choose, I like the upgrading of your troops and the crates that fall from the sky,
    achievements look like there designed to keep you playing,
    And wow I just had a look in the user created levels section :eek: there's some amazing looking levels there already, full castle on castle maps and one shaped like a certain part of the male body :rolleyes:
    In short if you liked this first game then this is a must, or if you like TD with a bit of RTS mixed in then it's really worth having a look.
    Great stuff.

15. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Does anyone think that this would make a really good turn-based game too?

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I was kinda surprised too. I hate when we get the pricing wrong on Wednesday's and then I think I've got just enough, and then BAM - I don't. =oP

But thank you to the dev for the response about the price. Gonna go ahead and pick this one up. I loved the first one, and since I can't play it anymore (sold my iPad), I can't wait to get into this one. It really does look like a nice sequel. =oD

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd love a turn-based mode. Not sure how feasible it would be, but dev, if you're listening... ;)

18. Fil2

Fil2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2011
    Does Cubemen 2 work fine on the iPad 2 like Cubemen 1?

19. C. Stubb

C. Stubb Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    ...Living.
    On Earth.
    #39 C. Stubb, Jun 6, 2013
    Thanks for the heads up. I suppose my archaic device will have to endure unadorned, then.

EDIT: But wait, you said in the description that while it doesn't support 4s, it -does- support iPod 4th gen (according to your description). Just so I get this clear, (because this kind of confuses me) it will run on my iPod 4th, but not an iPhone 4? Hmmm.

20. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #40 oooooomonkey, Jun 6, 2013
    I'm playing this on my iPad but I just put it on my iPod 4g to check it out and it gets to the main menu screen but then just shuts down.

Edit: after resetting my iPod the game works, seems to work fine, can't guarantee it when the action gets going as its a bit to tricky to play on the small screen for me.