iPad Cube update -- wow! Impressive...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Fubit86, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    #1 Fubit86, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    A cube updte just came out..sorry I can't post the link becuuse I'm on my iPod, but I am getting 30 fps with 5 - 10 enemies on screen! The new control scheme is alright, but definitely better than the old one!! I highly recommend that youguys redownload and update this game If you've taken it off your iPod.... It is now COMPLETELY playable for me...

Fubit86

2. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Link

Maybe it's time to try this game... :)

3. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I got it a while back because it was free and didn't like it, mostly the controls. But wow, this is pretty impressive. Seems they realized that aiming with the accelerometer and moving with a button was no fun and switched it around....And it actually works.

4. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Yes! This game looks good. Thank goodness it's still free.

5. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    what does 30 fps mean?? is it still somewhat choppy??

6. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Reinstalling as well. :)

7. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    fps=Frames Per Second. The higher, the more smooth it is. The old cube used to get extremely poor fps rates when many enemies were on screen; this seems to have been rectified in this update.

Unfortunately, the new control scheme will take time to get used to. I'm too used to AlienMangle! Ah!

8. isimon1207

isimon1207 Active Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I never would have expected an update for this game

9. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    HA!!!
    I knew there was a reason this never left my home screen!!!!!!

10. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    im pretty effing impressed... control is now FLAWLESS!!

you can move backwards with accelerometer... LOVE the hold to change view and everything.

i now prefer the controls over ALIENMANGLE.

konami NOW have to rethink their MGS will not work on iphone stance

11. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    +1

I wouldn't mind MGS with scaled down graphics, provided there is a effective control scheme

@Topic
    The update definitely makes the game playable in fact i find it better than Alienmangle. Looking forward to cube 2

12. kappa

kappa Well-Known Member

Confirm! Great improvement in fps and controls.

13. tadad1

tadad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Uranus
    +2

Whilst I am seriously getting my butt handed to me on a plate I am amazed at how well it is running.

14. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    Anyone notice the screen calibration method? It's awsome!!
    Now you can play from any angle...hell I thought it was broken LOL

15. So, you have to tap the screen to look around now? I'm trying to get my head around this new control method.

16. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    The first cool thing is if you forget the controls just take your thumbs off wait one-two seconds and the control layout flashes.

Second- for looking aroung you tap and hold in the "panning area" in which the HUD will give you sensetive, directional movement crosshairs while tilting (side to side is straff cause you can look around with your right thumb, sorts like analog stick). I will say I wish the panning are was broadened but I can't complain at all because you can still swipe, you'll notice this when trying to turn 360 to the right.

Third- calibration is preformed by angling your device to your comfort then tapping and holding the look/pan area if you let go you have exactly one second (for swipes) where the crosshairs stay up holding your currant calibration. If those crosshairs go off then you have to just tilt a tad, bring it up to your original position (or you start at 45 degrees & end up at flat) and put your thumb back on the screen and you'll see the crosshairs. Sounds like a lot of effort but it's pretty seemless. But coming from the total opposite controls there's a small learning curve.

I didn't mind the controls before, these are more refined, accurate, and engaging. However if the people who had trouble controling the last version, idk if they'll like the never take your thumb off approach to this.
    I'm loving though

17. Ahh. I get it now. Thanks. Will try again.

18. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    I'll also point out that spmaps are still fairly slow, noticable differance though about as fast as the last versions starter map.
    Dmsp are nice and fast but hiccups with like 7 enemies in front of you, which is a real step up from before.

19. jeepster2982

jeepster2982 Active Member

Dec 13, 2008
    definately makes it playable but the controls have me scratching my head, gonna take some getting used to