Universal Cthulhu Realms (by White Wizard Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Techzamazing, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    That, and it would be great to get expansions as well. I have the R'lyeh one, and the addition of the row of gold multi-resource cards is great.

2. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Wow, I feel ashamed to say......I haven't got a clue what you're talking about?! #

#

Probably best I explain - I don't play board or card games physically so have very little knowledge of the original IP's. Although I was brought up on the staples of Warhammer, D&D (to a lesser extent) and CYOA books, that is really the limits of my knowledge as far as table top gaming goes (the classics - monopoly, scrabble, risk etc - excluded).

I'm finding them great fun to play though and loving the strategy/complexity; but one of the main draws toward digital versions for me, is the reduced time and hassle factor of setting up etc. Plus I like seeing sparkly/zappy stuff happen when I put a card down.....I know, "look at the lights, they're pretty!". #

Of course, I understand you're referring to an expansion for the base deck but unfortunately I don't know anything about it so can't comment - but if the additional elements added by the expansions of Ascenion are anything to go by, I'm guessing it really adds something to the gameplay. So yeah, I second that suggestion of expansions!

3. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Ha, yeah I used to be in the same boat - read tons of the CYOA books (and some of the fighting fantasy) when I was young and played D&D here and there. My board and card game experience was limited to standard family games. Once I discovered Magic about 15 years ago though, I was hooked on fantasy card games. Then Ascension came along, and I discovered the awesomeness of deck building games.

The R'lyeh expansion is a Lovecraft themed version with a third row of cards, colored gold, that require both resources to purchase.

4. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Ah, that's good to know - I feel like less of a CCG/deck building pariah now!

Yeah, I could see that adding an extra something to the strategy - I'm guessing very much a risk/reward balance? ie a drain on resources to purchase but used at the right time/in the right way, very advantageous to the player?

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm really enjoying it. While based on 80% of the identical mechanics to Star Realms it feels like a whole new game. Here are a few of the subtlties I missed at first:

-CR has only 3 factions as opposed to SR's 4. Just like SR, each faction seems to have its own specialties, but unlike SR, there are many cards in the game that DEPEND on mixing of the factions to pull off their extra abilities.

-Scrapping is now called abdjuring with some interesting distinctions. You can't abjure cost 7 or 8 cards from the market place and a few cards in the game can revive a card you just abjured this turn which puts it right back on the top of your deck (so if you're clever you could even play one of the game's nastier unique cards 2x in 1 turn).

-You always get a free preview of the next card to enter the marketplace which can lead to some interesting abdjuring tactics to make sure you get it before your opponent does on their turn.

6. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    All very good points. I hadn't twigged with the 3/4 factions thing and didn't know about the card preview either.

Gutted though - just went to check out the card preview thing and since last nights update, I've lost my progress in the campaign! Syncing online doesn't resolve it either. Glad I wasn't too far in but have lost all my trophies!

Also, still unable to purchase the full game and also can't buy any expansions in Star Realms either, although the initial app purchase for SR's worked fine the other day.

When I press 'buy' in CR, it just darkens the screen and says 'Initialising' but it just hangs there - I have to close and reopen the app. Star Realms lets me get to the App Store 'buy' pop up but then tells me the app can't be purchased now as its being modified. Both have been like this since last night.

I'm wondering if it's because my devices are jailbroken - although I don't see that that should be an issue. I'm legitimately trying to purchase the game. Is anyone else running a jailbroken device that has had success in buying either of these games?

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While maybe it is an issue with you playing the game on a jailbroken device, have you tried logging out of your Cthulhu Realms account and then back in? I believe that is what fixed this similar issue Artfoundry was experiencing, right, Artfoundry?

8. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    #48 ZS77, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Yup. Tried it last night and again just now. Even rebooted my phone in what is essentially a disabled jailbreak mode but still no joy. I had a similar issue with Pathfinders Adventure but disabling the JB allowed me to purchase the full game and everything ran smoothly in jailbreak mode again after that. Want I really need is someone on the UK App Store to try purchasing the game (either with or without jailbreak) and that should give me an idea as to whether it's my phone or an App Store issue. Very confused and very frustrated!

Edit: Interestingly, the Star Realms expansions can not be found at com.starrealms.gambits any more. Perhaps issues with White Wizard servers?

2nd edit: Can't report the issue through the White Wizard CR website either, I fill out the teport form and hit send but it just comes back after a couple of seconds saying there's been an error and try again later. So possibly some major malfunctions at White Wizards end perhaps?

9. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Just had an email from White Wizard - they are having problems with purchases through Apple App Store and are investigating. Until it is fixed, you may have difficulty buying any expansions or dlc. Will update when fixed its quick

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'll bet this is somehow connected to them JUST going live on Steam as well, so there was likely a lot of server juggling and the like on the backend.

11. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Hmm, good point - hadn't considered that. Maybe that's why their email sounded a bit 'fraught'! Oh well, will just have to wait it out.

12. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    .....and finally, the full unlock is once again working! Now purchased and a couple of invites sent out. Feel free to add me -

Daedalus

(normally with 77 at the end but account setup wouldn't let me use numbers for some odd reason? Oh well.)

13. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I’m unable to connect to server (has been like this far a few days) and their api URL for. password reset is down. I’ve emailed them, anyone else seeing this?

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Same here. I'd been a ways for a few months but recently tried to get a few games going and it seemed like every other time I tried I either couldn't login or, once logged in, my online games wouldn't refresh.

15. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Looks like it’s resolved, safe to return! :)