Universal Cthulhu Realms (by White Wizard Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Techzamazing, Jun 13, 2016.

1. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Ah, ok - thanks for the analysis, that's really useful.

So just a thinly veiled reason to play consecutive games then......only with different handicaps and game setups! I guess that's the nature of the genre though - I really liked the inclusion of narrative and the hub shop/crafting/upgrading aspects of Lost Portal, I wish more CCG's did this with their campaigns to give greater depth and longevity.

I gave this a quick try (after realising it's free to download -d'oh!) and all I'll say is despite running through the tutorial twice, I'm still confused as hell.....but I'm liking the quirky humour and art style and it does have a nice overall polish to it. I'll persever and hopefully it'll click in time.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I recently cleared the Easy version of Chapter 1, and while trying to acheive special objectives could be tough, merely completing the missions was fairly effortless. I sure hope in the hard difficulty, short of cheating, the AI actually puts up a fight.

3. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Anybody know how many types of card there are in this? I've been loving the game so far but find the choices of card are fairly limited - is this a conscious design choice to keep gameplay tight and quick? Will there be expansion packs to increase the number of available?

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No clue but for once with one of these ports we are up to date with the physical version as it doesn't have any expansions yet either. I too hope they add more.

5. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Ah, ok - thanks for that. Is it just me or are there very few cards to the deck? Do you get more if you purchase the full package or is that it for now? Only seems to be around 4-5 individual cards per faction plus the usual 'pawn' cards.

I've just started playing Ascension again after a few years of forgetting about it. It's a great game but feels limited despite the wide number of cards included in the base game - is the bundle package (expansions 1-3 plus a few extras) worth the £7? It's a shame there's no single player campaign to it, would add some extra depth and reason to keep playing. Anyone still play the online mode?

6. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    The narration/story is enough reason to play the campaign - it's quite entertaining. :)

Anyone else have problems with buying the full game? I purchased today, but it hasn't unlocked. I've restarted the game many times.

7. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    I must admit, the voice acting is top notch and just the right side of kitsch 'Tales from the Crypt'. You can tell the woman in the tutorial is a borderline sociopath with general mental unhinged....er.....ness?....ing?.....you know what I mean!

Again, I've held fire on the full purchase until after I completed the first campaign chapter - just like to make sure I'm not 'spur of the moment' buying - kids=less expendable income than I used to have!

8. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Yeah - the tutorial voice over is pretty epic, good level of tongue in cheek humour. I went straight for the unlock cause I love star realms, but with 2 kids under 5... Buying games is my expendable treat otherwise it's all nappies, my little pony and day trips to the zoo ;)

9. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    I feel your pain. Nappies and wet wipes will bankrupt me.....should have bought shares.

10. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    A couple of people mentioned not being able to enlarge cards when choosing one to discard. This is possible. Just tap and hold on a card and it will zoom in. You can then get a closer look at the cards before selecting one to discard.

11. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Interesting - I tried that a couple of times but it didn't seem to do anything. Will try again later tonight, maybe needs a longer hold. Thanks for the tip.

12. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    It works in some cases not in others. Like if you have a location with a choice as part of its action, you won't be able to enlarge the card until after making the choice.

13. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Solved my problem with unlocking the game. After buying, I had to log out of my game account and then log back in. Weird...

And kinda disappointed that the woman narrates the second part of the story. I really like the guy's voice - the humor comes across so much better.

14. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    True but I find her voice more.....unsettling. Despite the comedic slant, theres something a little too 'natural' about her tone and delivery... as if it's not put on. Creepy almost.

15. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    To me she just sounds like she's trying to entertain the listener rather than tap into the oddity and absurdity of the story.

Really liking the gameplay though and the campaign writing itself. I was apprehensive about the art style direction, but it's not bothering me as much as I thought it would. And the music and narrative makes up for it.

Anyway, I'm now starting to play online games if anyone wants to invite - Delerium.

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Long time no see. Any other online boardgame/card game are you still playing?

17. FuriousThumbs

FuriousThumbs Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    #37 FuriousThumbs, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    How would you rate this compared to Star Realms, better or worse?

18. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Gameplay is similar but seems much easier to get your head around. Art style, artwork and UX/screen layout is much, much better than SR - it actually looks like it's been designed for a mobile screen rather than PC resolution shrunk down to fit. Overall, if the sense of humour appeals to you, then it's a no brainer - really good fun to play so far. And my impression is solely based on the free version - I've yet to purchase the full unlock but will be doing so tonight.

Only slight downside is that there are no expansions out for it yet but I understand the same applies to the physical version too. It's relatively new in the physical gaming scene but has been highly praised so I will be very surprised if updates/expansions/dlc aren't available in future.

Give the free single player campaign a go and see what you think. I learnt to play before realising it was based on SR's so knowing that in advance may help you understand the mechanics a bit more.

Conjuring=trade points.
    Minus sanity=attack points.
    Plus sanity=authority.
    Locations=bases
    Sanctuaries=er.....bigger bases with defensive/passive abilities I think?

19. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Yep, still play Ascension every day. Occasionally play star realms and penny arcade too.

20. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Really wish they'd update Penny Arcade for newer screen sizes. Feels cramped on a 6S.