Universal Crystal Siege (by FDG Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gamingvideo, Nov 12, 2014.

1. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Very early impressions after playing four levels:

While this starts a little slow (as it introduces the mechanics with a detailed tutorials), this is a very high quality TD and it is pulling me in. There are plenty of upgrades to buy and each level is graded on a three star rating with the difficulties. The graphics and the presentation is outstanding and there looks to be a nice variety of towers to play with (just the typical types so far). I like that there is just one hero to play with and upgrade. To this point, levels are pretty small and simple. Too early to tell if this will be to the level of top tier TDs like the Kingdom Rush series, but it is absolutely worthwhile for folks who like these type of games. Back to it...

2. toptrops

toptrops Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2014
    #22 toptrops, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  3. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  4. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    I'm still too early in the game, but for now, all I can say is that the Devs are obviously trying hard to give you a different 'experience' with this game (to not make it just another TD game) through the inclusion of RPG (gear up hero, spell mode or melee mode, etc), story telling and other stuff. So far, I am enjoying it very much.

Note: There is iAP in form of Gold which as far as I can tell is to buy gears (sword, ring, armor) for your hero.

5. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    Wish it had the art style of ocean horn. As is it reminds me of old iOS games (visually) not sure where all that file size comes from, but can't be the graphics.

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Aww man that is a while! However I'm really looking forward to it :)

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Voice acting probably. It's pretty well done though, and the gameplay is among those high above in the world of TD titles.

Art style vary in taste, but i personally like the visuals here.

8. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Yeah, I would say voice acting as well as a lot of graphics (single page art for the story line). Graphics is also in full retina I believe, and is really showing here with its sharpness, although personally I prefer KR style of art (cute). :D

As EP has stated, game play wise, it is very well made.

9. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Well polished Rpg TD, just gorgeous

10. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    ok, saw the long trailers in 1080p on a pc, looks much better than what i was getting streaming on my ipad. looks nicer.

11. beowuulf1

beowuulf1 Member

Oct 1, 2013
    The trailer looks amazing. That being said, I don't do paidmium. With that in mind, an someone answer a few related questions:

1) Is there any aspect of the game you can't experience for the $5 purchase price? Special towers? Unique equipment? Extra levels?

2) Is the premium currency earnable through play? Is there a limit to how much you can earn?

3) Can you grind? In play testing, how much grinding was necessary to beat the game without IAP?

Thanks im advance for answering!

12. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I have played through half the levels and it plays like a straight up premium game with no grinding necessary. This is a quality TD; not my favorite, but quite good.

13. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    1. I believe everything is there for the 4.99. iAP is in the form of gold to buy gears. Theres also a 3 set of gears that you can buy for real money only, something that looks really powerful.

2. Yes, you can earn it thru grinding. I beat the first 6 levels in hard mode, without any iAP. For now, no iAP necessary.

3. Every game rewards 3 keys to unlock 3 chests which gives random gold, potions and gears.

14. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sad that it's ipad

15. Korbinian@FDG

Korbinian@FDG FDG Entertainment<br />Producer
    Patreon Studio

Aug 30, 2012
    very glad about the positive comments so far, thanks a lot!

Let me comment on the iAP real quick:

Everything is in there for the 4.99$. you get the complete game. I would even say you get the best experience without iAP. They just exist for the impatient. Everything is balanced to perfectly play without any iAP and there is zero grinding involved (but you still can replay the levels as many times as you want).

16. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    This turned out to be an excellent TD game, with first class production values. Even the tutorial is polished and entertaining, which is no small feat in a TD game. The towers, maps, and enemies have a Kingdom Rush flavor, but are also original enough to allow this game to stand on it's own merit. They also took the hero and RPG elements to a new level for TD games, along with a story element that actually works. Though I've only played for an hour and change, so far I'd say that this is better then 99% of the TD games out there. The 1% being the Kingdom Rush games of course.

17. GmK

GmK Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Thanks due to @Korbinian@FDG I received a promo code yesterday and was able to play the game, and will continue playing it since it is an extremely polished and fun TD experience!

I can only mirror what the others state here, that I am very happy to see such a fresh and well made contender in the genre, that certainly takes strong inspiration from Kingdom Rush in parts, but gives it its own spin - in a good way.

18. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    I have played 6 levels and I like the game a lot.
    I think that the game is a mix from KR, Cursed TD and Defender chronicles. From the first 2 games takes the structure and even some towers and from Defender C takes the RPG progression and loot.

Maybe is not that much original so far but is a very polished game with a story, voice acting, good music, awesome gameplay.

You can get the hero in attack mode or change to recharge mana and that mana is necessary for the magic so when things get hard you have to think fast. And there are some interactive parts like a bridge you can move that is a nice touch

I recommend this game a lot for people that enjoy TD games and looks for a very polished one

19. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    #39 orangecan, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    Really enjoying it but in the air 2 I keep getting an unresponsive screen, the game keeps running but I get no touch response. It's happened twice so far on level 4 and I've had to switch out of the app and back in to get it to work again....

20. Korbinian@FDG

Korbinian@FDG FDG Entertainment<br />Producer
    Patreon Studio

Aug 30, 2012
    #40 Korbinian@FDG, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    Glad you like it. Concerning your problem: could you try restarting the device completely and tell me if the problem persists. If yes, knowing the iOS version would be great since we tested a lot on air2 and never encountered any problems.