Universal Crystal Siege (by FDG Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gamingvideo, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Sorry for the double post but wow this is awesome! I beat the first stage and started equipping weapons and armor now. It looks and plays great on my 6 plus!

2. Korbinian@FDG

Korbinian@FDG FDG Entertainment<br />Producer
    Patreon Studio

Aug 30, 2012
    glad you like it :)

3. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Man you guys did perfect with the smaller screens it would of been fine launching universal no? Or was it more time constraint type of thing?

4. Korbinian@FDG

Patreon Studio

Aug 30, 2012
    it was actually a lot of work to get it good on small screens. as I wrote earlier, scrolling was getting in the way a lot, menus had to be changed etc. We just took this long to get it perfect on phones since we want a perfect experience on any device.

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    This game is amazing!

I have some questions that are probably somewhere earlier in the thread but I'm worried about spoilers. How many levels are there amd what's the character level cap?

This is probably the most RPG td I've ever played. I do wish you could change / customize the character avatar but that's pretty minor.

6. Korbinian@FDG

Patreon Studio

Aug 30, 2012
    #186 Korbinian@FDG, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    that's a tricky question. we have 16 missions with normal and hard difficulty. but once you complete those 16 on any of the two initial difficulties you unlock "extreme mode" this are 16 maps that are based on the initial 16. while they might look similar at first, the play like completely different maps.
    some limit the towers you can use or have a meteor crash in to reform the map. just to name a few
    but are more precise answer might be the playtime. to complete the story and all extreme missions you will need somewhere between 12 and 18 hours on your first try.
    The heros level is capped at 30 but once you reach that you still have a lot of hero advancement in the form of better items in front of you.
    So in general, there is plenty to do and play for 3$ :D

7. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    So there is more than 1 hero? When do you get more?

8. Korbinian@FDG

Patreon Studio

Aug 30, 2012
    oh, sorry. that was a grammar error on my end. there is only 1 hero. but you will soon find out that you can skill and equip your hero in so many ways, that it can be a lot of different "classes" if you want to call it that.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ha! I knew you'd like it! I remember somewhere you mentioned we kinda have the same taste in games... That still seems to hold true. ;)

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Haha totally true. Every game you really like, I would probably enjoy it. I just need a 256 gb iPhone to fit all of the games I want..

Thanks for the reply dev! I do love how you put play times on each stage so if you supposedly beat the whole game, you can still try to beat you time. Will you be adding content in the future or is this it for now? I wish you would be somewhat like Kingdom Rush and sell new hero skins or something to that effect at least :)

11. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Yeah, I was pretty impressed with the extreme mode, it really is like having 16 new maps to play through after you initially "beat" the game. Having said that, do guys plan on adding new content? Paying more is no problem for me, and since the current game provides plenty for the price, paying for an expansion is also completely fair to me. Or you could go the Kingdom Rush route and add some IAP heroes to help support additional content.

As it stands this isn't only one of the best TD games I've played, it's also one of the best games on the App Store. So wanting more is a natural response.

12. Korbinian@FDG

Patreon Studio

Aug 30, 2012
    I am glad you like the game.
    But it is not a secret that Crystal Siege did not perform at all. Sales are VERY low.
    We had a lot of new content planned, but since the game so far did not bring back a fraction of its development cost, those might never see the light of day.

13. cyllwynn

cyllwynn Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Wow. I'm really sorry to hear that. It truly is one of the best TD/RPG games out. This is a shining example of where the App Store economy is a huge fail based too heavily on marketing dollars and luck of placement.

On steam you could fetch $4 all day and on PS4 as well. And of course I am sure much more without any complaints. I guess that's why if you don't hit the App Store lottery you see so many devs pushing hard to get into the indie scene on steam and console.

14. Korbinian@FDG

Patreon Studio

Aug 30, 2012
    yes, placement/visibility on the store was one of the problems for the game.
    But in general premium games are on a constant decline on the appstore. F2P games really seem to be the future here.
    How do you guys see this? are you still buying a lot of premium games or are you also seeing a constant shift to f2p in your gaming habits?

15. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Very sorry to hear it and I think most people don't really check website for app reviews and info they just see what's on the store and that's all they do to look. I think being ipad only at release is a tough thing to do also as less people have ipad and iPhones and iPods.

For me I still buy premium games more often than I'll spend on a freemium game, but before I make a purchase I think about it more I try to see reviews and opinions on what the game is like. But sometimes it sounds too good to wait or ive been following it a while and just buy it.

Free games I often download as there's no risk I just download to try and 5 minutes later it gets deleted with many. Others I start really liking and could play for weeks or months possibly but generally I end up getting tired of the slow grind or pay to win/progress faster. But I have to admit when I spend I'll only do so on a free game if I play it for days and days or weeks and feel like the Dev should get something from me as I really like it. On very rare occasion I'll be tempted to buy more than once and the Dev will get much more from me than someone with a paid app would, but that is very rare for me at least.

I still feel like premium games are better but there are free games that can compete and are fun and of course so many terrible ones. Heroes vs monsters I believe was free and is still one of my all time favourites I played next to Battleheart which was paid ofc. But I enjoy some tycoon and time management type games but nobody on ios seems to do many or at least do them the way I want them.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Still buying premium (with the odd free game that I've removed ads from as well. I don't have a single freemium game that doesn't have a way to disable ads on my device) and that will never ever change. I'm proud to say I don't have a single game on my device that has a timer.

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^wish i could say the same regarding games with timers. I have Record Keeper and Marvel Future Fight on mine. Spent zero on either though, despite the heavy babysitting. I like them, but i wont spend anything on them unless theyre a permenent purchase.

Other than those 2, premium iOS gaming in heart and mind.

18. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Isn't there a way to make a deal with Apple? Like offering the app for "app of the week" so that it gains more exposure? I donno how that works but it could be something.
    Kingdom Rush is an example of premium but gained a lot of followers and sold massively because it was free on PC at first. Maybe if you port the game on Steam (which has a far better infrastructure) you can give away iTunes download codes with every purchase on Steam for example so you climb up the iOS charts.

19. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #199 ironsam80, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    Totally premiums... but it is also about the background of anyone. For example i'm coming from the back years of 80's - 90's gaming era so i have not used to f2p mechanics and i cannot used them at all. Also i am self-depended and so i can afford anything i desire. One reason that i prefer premium is because my time is precious when i decide that i have time for a good play session i want to have the game there in my hands and not interrupted from timers or paywalls... For me the game must intrigue my skills and not my wallet every 15 minutes.
    As you can see in this site there is always good debates about if f2p is the future or not... For me the truth is in the middle. The only f2p iaps i buying are the removing ads or buy new characters etc... In common i never buy consumable iaps... In the future the only for sure i can see is that mobile gaming will rise for sure... Of course with more f2p but also with more premiums also... Keep in mind that not every f2p game has the Clash of Clans earnings... There are a lot developers that convert their games to premiums because they didn't see profits with f2p model.
    Anyway i am surprised that your game doesn't business well. It has all the ingredients... The only matter i can see, and is a common problem for the Appstore, is that it has a huge indie base that every week gives hundreds of new games (goods or bads). I don't know how a dev can find visibility without luck (been featured on Appstore) or huge marketing budget.
    Last but not least keep in mind (a lot of articles here have said this) that even in the millions earning big f2p hits their paid base are only a tiny percentage people (the whales)... This means, that f2p or not your game must have millions and millions of downloads to catch this small percentage from the people with the deep pockets. So even with price at 0 is not sure that you have a hit on your hands.

Good luck with your next project! Premium or not i wish you can keep doing what you're liking and be quite profitable to keep your studio running!

P.S: To the mods... Sorry for the off thread post but it is interesting that a developer ask our opinion about this matter.

20. Nyx1978

Nyx1978 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2013
    I'm quite late, but picked this up on Saturday and enjoying every minute of it!

Shame to read the sales haven't been good.. :(
    Hope things can turn around still.