iPad Crystal Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by J.R. Jalapeno, Nov 9, 2008.

1. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Has anyone heard of Crystal Quest. It looks good, kinda like Geometry Wars or something. Im just wondering how it controls.

2. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    #2 TimothyB, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  3. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Haven't seen it.. anyone know if it's good?

4. TheBunny

TheBunny Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    MMO Mac Lead ZeniMax Online
    Baltimore
    Oh thats funny no one knows what Crystal Quest is :)

Now I feel old.

Its classing HIT Mac game from like 1987.

Sold well for years if I recall.
    I believe there is a XBOX live port also.

In fact its famous enough to have its own page on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Quest

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The original game WITH A MOUSE was a lot of fun. I'm hesitant to buy an iPhone version, though. If they use your finger like a mouse your finger would get in the way all the time. If it's motion control I really can't imagine that that would work well at all. So, I'm pretty skeptical. Hopefully arn will review this title and clue us in.

6. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I love Crystal Quest. I recall playing it for hours on a Mac II -- amazingly in color! -- at an Apple retailer in Williamsburg, VA back in 1987.

Going to post a vid on this soon.

blakespot

7. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    controls

I agree. $5 isnt a lot of money and Im ready to buy it but Im worried about the controls too. Lets hope its good b/c Im really looking forward to a shooter like this.

8. confucius

confucius New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    iPhone controls

The iPhone/iPod Touch version has both tilt and swipe controls available.

If using swipe controls, one does have to swipe the finger over the play screen, so the "greasy finger" thing could cause problems while playing the game. I usually clear one side of the screen while swiping on the other side, then reverse for the other side of the level.

9. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    How do you like the game?

10. confucius

confucius New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I like it, but in the interest of full disclosure, I wrote the iPhone version.

CQ is one of my favorite all time games because I played it so much in the old days on my Mac.

11. macophile

macophile New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Best mac game... ever!

OMG I am sooo happy to finally see this game on the iPhone. I spent so many hours of my childhood playing it, and this totally brings back that experience for me. The touch controls are easy to get used to, but for fun I use the motion-controls... just don't walk down the street while you're doing that!

My iphone feels complete now with this game... it's the total apple experience.

Now I just need a better poker game, anyone know a good one? There should be some kind of MMO-free-poker for iPhone by now, shouldn't there?

12. panda

panda New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Thanks For Your Support - Updating Info Soon

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

We will be updating the both the iTunes and Hands-On Mobile product pages to provide more information about controls.

Unfortunately, both regular mobile and iPhone information will be in the same product page on the Hands-On Mobile website. We are looking into somehow splitting this in the future.

Panda :)

13. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    in that case im buying! Im sure you did the game justice since it was one of your favorites of all time. Ill let you know how i like it.