Universal Crypt of the NecroDancer Pocket Edition (by Brace Yourself Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Thank you all so much for the kind words! So happy to see people really enjoying the game and appreciating the work that went into the Pocket Edition.

For those asking, yes it supports iCloud. And the other issues that have been reported will be investigated.

Thanks again for your support! It means a lot.

2. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    For anyone on the fence because of these comments, I can rubbish them all as rubbish as a player on a regular iPhone 6plus.

The font size is ABSOLUTELY fine! It is perfectly readable unless you are an old man with cataracts! Even at the frenetic pace that this game forces you to play at, the font is still perfectly legible.

And on pace, all I can state is that I have never experienced slowdown. I'm on a 16gb iPhone with barely any space left and it works perfectly. I fear that there is not slowdown that one commenter is experiencing that is throwing his game off the beat, but instead his out of rythmn movement. I will admit (from playing this game for too many hours on steam) that it did take a little while to get perfectly in time with all the different beats.

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    you Metalcasket are the reason I'm buying I know when you like it's all good
    Thanks for making me spend more money ;) but more thanks for this game that rocks hardcore

4. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Is there any other specific benefit to keeping the beat other than the coin multiplier?

I love this game!!! I had no idea this game existed but Metal (most say Casket) said it is awesome so downloaded & am so glad!!!!

5. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I took the plunge and so glad I did. The game is amazing and it was a good decision being able to use items with a touch of the button.

I'm still figuring things out but ....I love the game so much that I'm getting the vita version now. $5 is an absolute steal folks and I have zero hesitation paying $15 for the vita.

Lets hope we get a sequel or at the least...Let it inspire other developers to think outside the box

6. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Great port. I wonder if anyone else would like the option on the d-pad controller to move the item buttons closer to the right pad. Just seems more intuitive that way, especially in a harried situation, than looking away from the action the top left and clicking there. In fact, being able to move the item button may be useful with all the other controller configurations as well.

7. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Absolutely agree with any solution that keeps items more within quick reach. I keep forgetting to even use them! I'm completely new to the game though and am trying swipe to see if I like that better.

8. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #128 sinagog, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    I've moved back to swipe for now.

By the way, love the ability to kill the shopkeeper and get his stuff for free. So Spelunky!

Oh, and one other request. Can you make it so it sticks with the last character you played when you exit the game, instead of reverting back to Cadence?

9. cadillackills

cadillackills Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    I'm in heaven. I love the steam version, but iPad Pro and MFi, so reliably flawless. This is easily upper echelon, up there with FTL, banner saga, papers please. From sound to art, ear to ear smiles...

Speaking of ears, soundtrack always keeps you happy, bravo!

10. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    - Does the game have a proper ending?
    - Does it have permanent unlocks, some sort of progression?

Generally I'm not a fan of rogue-likes as they feel very repetitive, like action games with a bad checkpoint system, especially if there is nothing there to make you feel like making progress. And endless settings have been done to death on the AppStore.

11. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Any benefit to finding the exit before the song runs out? And is keeping the beat only for the multiplier? If so not a big deal then since coins don't carry over to a new game

12. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I deleted the game and then redownloaded. No more slowdown.

13. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I will try one more time, does this run good on the Ipad 2 I know it's old but it's all I got.

14. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Why are certain songs missing from my library when I try to add the to custom soundtrack?

15. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    I meant to mention that I had an odd slowdown but it was almost like it was on purpose..? It didn't feel laggy. The song just slowed down for some reason, and it only lasted several seconds.

16. The game has a proper ending, yes. And two more proper endings for newgame+ and newgame++. It also has permanent unlocks. You unlock new items, more health, new zones, and more.

17. Each level has a miniboss on it that you have to defeat before the exit stairs will unlock. If you HAVEN'T beaten the miniboss before the song runs out, you'll fall through a trap door and start the next level in a small room with that miniboss and some other enemies. It is still possible to safely defeat the miniboss when this happens, but it requires skill.

If you've already defeated the miniboss, the only penalty for letting the song run out is that you lose your coin multiplier.

18. Sounds like the answer is to use an hour-long track for each level. :p

19. Yes, it does!

20. You can certainly do that, but be warned: When playing with custom music your leaderboard entries go to a separate leaderboard. Otherwise you could cheat and use long songs with slow beats to help you get a high score :)