Universal Crypt of the NecroDancer Pocket Edition (by Brace Yourself Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 30, 2016.

1. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Damn Casket, I'm sold, guess I'll piss some coworkers off #, thanks again man!

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, you're welcome. Trust me, there's no way in hell you'll ever regret this purchase. I'm still giddy all these hours later. Carter (Mr. 3.5) had been going on and on about NecroDancer since its release on PC and I kept putting off the purchase because I just don't game on PC anymore. I watched video after video in the hope that they would change my mind, but I had absolutely no clue this would be coming to iOS.

Now all we need is Binding of Isaac. :(

3. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Does anyone have both the vita and iOS versions? Is the vita worth the 15 dollar price tag?

4. sugimulm

YES!!!! Binding of Isaac we NEED!!! I trust you, your word is gold man, you have spent my monies very well #. Very few I trust on here, you are one, thanks dude, I'll be playing tomorrow!

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    <3 You are too kind.

6. sugimulm

Nah, like you, tell like it is.

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #67 pjft, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    So, a few questions here: how does this actually play on the touch screen vs on the Vita or PS4 in regards to the rhythm?

Is it tap to move? Swipe? Does it control well on the touch screen?

I watched the trailer - I had been following this game for quite a while on other platforms, so I'm definitely considering it on iOS as there's where I usually game for the most part - but now I'm hesitating whether I should get it here or on the Vita.

Thoughts and recommendations?

EDIT:

Also, on the "4 playable remixed OSTs included" item, a question: does it include the metal version by FamilyJules7X, and the chiptune remix of the game’s soundtrack, created by Jake “Virt” Kaufman, the composer for Shovel Knight?

Metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rerM0uPg_8
    Chiptune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90O-sWbNySk&list=PL3XNa8IlY9fvWHCxkiw1gmBwe5Ozn8rSV

8. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    More empty rhetoric

tldr / unique title you'll probably want to grab now

Over the years, there have been several games that nearly convinced me to register with this site in order to share in the exchange. I never have, though, until now with the release of Crypt of the Necrodancer. It went down like this: just a couple of hours and as many days into the Steam version on my computer this title releases. Serendipity! I had been wondering whether the simple yet elaborate mechanics would be a good fit for mobile, and the developers have answered with a pulse-pounding affirmative. The rhythmic approach to traditional dungeon-crawling (ironically, the very mechanic that left me convinced for the better part of a year that I would not enjoy CoND) distinguishes it from nearly all others. I would draw your attention to interesting titles such as FTL and 868-HACK, or even Downwell, Dream Quest, or Wayward Souls. There's room, too, for The Enchanted Cave and Sproggiwood and others. The common thread is indie developers who demonstrate higher levels of commitment to end users than many of the larger companies with endless budgets. Thank you, Brace Yourself Games! I look forward to many hours of fun on the go. By the way, the addition of three separate control schemes (D-pad, swipe, and something called "edge controls"), bluetooth controller support, and the option to play locally stored tunes speaks to the highest levels of developer prowess. These are the companies we should support. With so many others, users would have to wait many weeks or even months for such niceties. Not with these guys. I've left an App Store review and would encourage others to do the same (now and after each update because Apple resets them for some reason; they will show up if you change something in the title and wait till submitting the review to give the star rating). And...the soundtrack is badass. Perhaps you've heard. Check out the Behind the Scenes minidoc if you don't believe me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EL6VK557Yk&app=desktop

+1 to Binding of Isaac approval

-1 (times like a million) to Apple's censorship and empty rhetoric regarding the nature and content of games (ie, stating essentially that games lack artistic merit)

Each decides for him- or herself whether a thing has relevance or merit. It is the sole province of individuals, not entities. Get out of the way, Apple.

9. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks for sharing downgrad3r,

Since you seem to have bought the iOS version and seem to be enjoying it (and seem to be awake in a EMEA-friendly timezone :) ), would you be able to comment on my questions?

Best.

10. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

There are four ways of controlling the game: Swiping, tapping the corner of the screen or dual d-pad. You can also plug a MFi controller (even two to play in co-op). It controls really well in every control scheme.

11. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks sir. Any comments on the 4 soundtracks?

Also, read about your changes recently - best of luck in your new adventures!

12. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Ok so all the positivity around this has my interest.

If I'm more of a fan of A-RPG vs turn based, would I like this? Trying to get an understanding of gameplay.

13. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    I want to say thank you to dev and spike-chunsoft

I thought I cant play this game never, despaired and went to bed

and today 's morning it came to Japanese AppStore!!!

amazing!!

14. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    #74 downgrad3r, Jul 1, 2016
    For me, at least, having to move rhythmically (with the exception of at least one character) brings this one closer to real time. I know it sounds crazy, but it's quite literally a turn-based, real time dungeon crawler with an amazing soundtrack and great controls. The rhythm kind of compels you to act even while considering enemy movement patterns. I watched several videos before purchasing it on Steam, and can recommend it without reserve. I highly suggest checking out some videos before you buy it, though.

15. Does that make it less frantic? I assumed it was real-time since it's rhythm-based. The description also says it's hardcore. So despite the oodles of praise, I'm worried I'll suck too much and quit after five min.

16. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    #76 downgrad3r, Jul 1, 2016
    Don't get me wrong. I'm terrible at the game on both platforms. It can be addictive, though. I often have terrible runs followed by better runs that end terribly, which is frustrating. But the effects and music give it a special charm. Plus, I can endure such crushing defeats in very short bursts. I've only played a handful of games each day for that very reason. And, yes, the pace can feel a bit frenetic at times, but the enemy patterns are predictable. That's where the turn-based elements come into play. My many deaths are usually due to a lack of dexterity, but that happens because you don't feel like you have quite have enough time to consider moves. This is a fallacy, of course, because you can always retreat a bit here and there. I often feel that the only barriers to success are my own gaming history and preconceived notions.

17. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I have this on steam and like it, but I'm really bad at it. Have no rhythm at all, does it click after a few hours? I'm about two hours into the steam version but still suck. :) Find myself watching the heart/beat counter more then the board. For those who "get it" does that (watching the beat) go away?

Awesome to see this on iOS, will probably buy anyway to support iOS as a real gaming format :)

18. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    I'm pretty bad at the game and find myself falling off beat now and then, so I can offer little in the way of advice. I never watch the heart, though. And my purchase was motivated by enthusiasm for the title and no shortage of good will toward small, independent studios who share my belief in iOS as a viable platform. It has dual D-pads on iOS, which seems to help with laying bombs, throwing weapons, etc.

19. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I ended up buying it, and it has all the soundtracks I was referring to, which is great.
    I only played the tutorial and a single, short-lived run. It plays well with swipe, I suspect other modes will also work well.
    I find that looking at the heart only messes me up, I just listen to the beat of the music and then get into it and it works great.
    First time playing the game. Looks great so far!

20. Thanks! Still sounds like it might be too frustrating for me. :p