Universal Crypt of the NecroDancer Pocket Edition (by Brace Yourself Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #221 Talbs, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Am I right in seeing that the "permanent" upgrades bought by diamonds are only relevant to your current play session? As in, you get a call come in, you then go get distracted and open a few more apps, this app gets killed in the memory, you come back, and everything seems to be reset.

I bought an extra heart for a permanent upgrade. I quit the app and it was gone when I came back. Not seeing a standard save anywhere.

Edit: where is or how is the saving done?

2. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Syncing via iCloud should happen automatically. You don't need to do anything.

3. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    Purchasing upgrades in the lobby adds them to the possible list of items you can find or purchase during gameplay. Hope that helps. :)

4. SnowballTheLamp

SnowballTheLamp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Looks very fun. Gotta give it a try!

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'll answer my own question:
    It seems as though the app saves your game at some point while in the lobby. Though I have found that I've spent my, say, 3 diamonds, then quit the app completely, then reopened and I have 3 diamonds back in my possession (but not the items I purchased). And yes, while the app saves in the lobby, the game keeps track of the progress for that character.
    So game saving is done automatically at some point in the lobby, there is no manual game save button.

Also, so far permanent upgrades stick with that character, and will still be applied when you reopen the app any other day.

Now my next thing to find out is, will playing with another character mean starting all over again in terms of items, and will the game saves keep track of that characters possessions separately if so.

6. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Good detective work there! I still haven't managed to complete the game with Cadence, so no idea about the other characters! :(

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you by "sentience" mean a simple check to see if there are any nearby exits, and if not respond with a simple fix (change one stone into dirt, provide a singular phase shift through the surroundings rock, put down a portal to allow the player to return to the chaos left behind after some quick purchases to improve survival chances - a gameplay element in itself), then... yeah, the creation of synthetic intelligence just got a lot simpler :)

Yep, Crown it was! And no worries, it does indeed seem exceedingly rare. Just wanted to ensure you were aware of it :)

8. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    No, I mean 'Sentience'......I want this bad boy to think, breath, live......I want HAL levels of consciousness and the ability to decide the fate of an entire species! #

9. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #229 Jorlen, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Hrm. Not working for me, then :( Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT: So I found a thread (not related to this game) on reddit that talked about game center being the issue. Being desperate I tried what was suggested; that is, to log out of gamecenter in both tablet and phone, and then re-log in. I then killed the game, relaunched it, played and died so it woudl return me to lobby (initiating a save game). When I re-launched it on my phone, it worked.

For both the tablet and the phone, I noticed the game said, "Welcome Jorlen" from game center which never happened before. So that was the missing link. I would have never figured this out on my own.

WHat does game center have to do with iCloud syncing? And I thought apple was killing game center??

10. Ah, I'm glad to hear you got it working, Jorlen! Thanks for posting the solution. We'll be sure to give this info to anyone else experiencing the same Game Center problem.

11. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Yeah for sure!

BTW your game is ridiculously fun. I'm having a blast playing it and I really appreciate the MFi support. I like it so much that I will buy the PS4 version too so I can play couch co-op with my friend.

Please keep making games.

12. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Any news on an update for circumventing the Game Centre log in/bug? Was hopeful of a swift update to rectify that little annoyance.

13. An update is coming, but we're also fixing a number of other issues, so it's not ready quite yet. Soon!

Our apologies for the wait!

14. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    No worries! Nice to know it's still on the way though. Thanks for the update. Cheers

15. theoryzero

theoryzero Member

Oct 8, 2014
    MFI Controller Issues

So, after owning a slew of other great games that have controller support, this game finally pushed me to actually buy a MFI controller. I got the Steelseries Nimbus, and it seems to work great with some of the other games I tried (GTA, Wayward Souls, LIMBO, Sonic CD). However, I am having trouble with this game.

After about a minute of gameplay the game just stops responding to the controller altogether. At first I thought maybe the battery was low on the Nimbus, but going back to any of my other games it seems to work flawlessly.

Are there some known issues with controller support to be fixed in an update or should I spend more time investigating?

16. BraceYourselfGames_Jackie

Aug 5, 2016
    Hi theoryzero! When you say the game stops responding to the controller, does the game do anything (ex: showing "missed beat")? Have you also tried seeing if remapping the controls in Options helps at all?

There are some known issues with controller support, but we're hoping to have them fixed in the next update.

17. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    I don't remember why I didn't get this game when it first came out but I finally got it a few days ago and I'm loving it. Though I can not get past zone 1. I have made it to the boss a few times but I can't beat it. Does anyone have any tips for me?

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Have you tried playing as the Bard who doesn't have to keep any rhythm?

19. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    I have tried Bard but that makes it harder for some reason >.<

20. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Would this still be enjoyable just playing as Bard? I'm not into the rhythm thing but play a lot of traditional turn based roguelikes. My main concern is that it would be too easy with Bard. From previous comments, it seems it definitely easy as the start playing this way but does the difficulty ramp up later to keep it engaging?