Universal Crowntakers (by Kalypso Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 30, 2015.

1. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    This does seem like an exciting finish! And pretty darn impossible for me yet!

2. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Sell whatever u can to get the spyglass which shows every enemy on the battlefield, even thieves. Best thing ive picked up yet.

3. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    I had my second victory on "normal" yesterday (a "soft" victory, meaning I killed the final boss but took too long to save dear old dad). Mercenaries I had were Darion, Melic, Theogal and Halfarus. My hero was tier III (the ability to set everyone to guard/overwatch). It was amazing I actually won as I was extremely close to losing on each area after the third. My entire party was still standing after the win even with two of my mercs finishing without having any armor or weapon upgrades. Pretty satisfying victory. If you want any tips, let me know.

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @kurtalb1: Quite impressive, thanks for sharing.

I took a bit of a break, but might start playing again on the weekend and see how things go.
    Right now, I am perfectly content to collect the Mercenaries and bring them all up to Tier 3 (curious what their different abilities are like) .

Like you, I really like the Hero's Tier3 skill.
    Melic's (I think? Guy with the banner) "ignore 4 incoming damage" skill is quite a lifesaver.
    Halfarus' Tier2 with the multiple attacks is good for whittling down enemy armor.
    Same goes for Meledar who has an "extra damage to armor" skill. Not to mention that with high strength and/or crit he is quite a formidable killing machine.
    Theogal and Darion I didn't like that much so far, couldn't find any good use/role for them (yet) .

5. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    I’ve played Crowntakers extensively for the past five daysand have had a fantastic time with it! Personally, I don’t understand why this game doesn’t get more love. I’ve had at least 15 playthroughs on Normal difficulty with only two victories, but every gamewas a blast and I couldn’t wait to start a new one. With the mercenary unlocks (not to mentiontwo additional unlockable builds for each one), the varied random locations ineach area and the random loot, each game has been very different and exciting. I can’t recommend this game enough for peoplewho like a challenging, re-playable, light rpg with permadeath. Great job devs!

As a side note: Asmuch as I love the game as is, it would be even more awesome with additionalcontent (more areas or even an entirely different path to take, new and morevaried enemies to face, etc.) If thedevs read this, are there any plans to add additional content?

6. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Many times it all depends on what kind of runes you find each game to maximize the mercs. Sometimes they just don't fit the characters all that great. That is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much, you never know how your character builds are going to turn out in the end, but you just have to do the best that you can. I tend to shift runes from character to character during each game to find the best fit.

7. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    [​IMG]

[thread=258426][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258478][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258419][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258488][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258534][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=258552][​IMG] [/thread][thread=258562][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258473][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258420][​IMG][/thread]

Crowntakers

[​IMG]

Is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

2nd April 2015

VOTE HERE

Developers, publishers and/or affiliates cannot vote for their own games!!

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Reviews online for the Steam version have given me a bit of pause...

Eh, I still need HOMM3, which I never played. 1 and 2 I spent a lot of time with-never got past those 2.

9. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Many people knock the randomness in "rouge-likes" because they think it is unfair and causes them to lose the game and start over. Personally, the more I play these types of games, the more I can come up with strategies to prepare for these random events. Usually when I lose it's because I failed to provide a solid strategy. To me, the randomness is what gives a game great replay value.

10. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    On Normal difficulty, is there anything that carries over from one playthrough to another?

11. BulwarkStudios

BulwarkStudios Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Try to make good games ;)
    Angoulême (France)
    Hi,So we finally managed to submit a new patch including a fix for Zoe's bug, for the battle end screen and for various inventory bugs! It should be available in few days!
    Best,

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Great job, folks! Thanks a lot, very much appreciated.

13. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Glad to hear it! Unfortunately, I had another mercenary unable to move or use her standard attack in combat. This time it was Velana? (the woman that tosses the bombs.) Made me restart the game. Still loving the game despite being limited in my mercenary choices.

14. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Only the unlocked mercenaries and their respective "tiers" that have been unlocked. Other than that, the game is an entirely new start with the hero and mercenaries starting at level one. No equipment is carried over either.

15. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I was too hasty with complaints about this game

It's quite well designed and very enjoyable (once you get the hang of it). :eek:

16. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    With so much crap floating around the AppStore, I can't believe a quality premium release like this is barely getting any sort of attention. I would have expected it to be featured somewhere on Apple's front page or at least get a few reviews.

17. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    How is the iPad version different from the Steam version? Does the Steam version have more gameplay?

18. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    A quick interface suggestion to the devs- when in a battle and selecting the potions menu, it would be easier, and more consistent with the rest of the interface, that if you put your finger down on a potion and hold, a little popup message would describe the potion. Selecting a potion, reading the description, then clicking cancel, and then another potion, cancel, one after another, until you find the right potion, can get a bit tedious.

19. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    From what I read, I think they are identical.

20. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    I've watched some gameplay videos of the pc version and noticed a couple of differences. The pc version doesn't appear to have rings to attach runes to and the Inn wasn't necessarily at the entrance to every new area. Just an observation. I could be wrong.