Universal Crowntakers (by Kalypso Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Works on 6+ using the jailbreak plus ipa edit trick. Text a little smallish though but accessibility zoom fixes that up.

2. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    So sorry, I posted this at 2AM and then went into hibernation mode. Hopefully you're enjoying it enough to forgive me!

Looks like I wasn't the only one who needed to go to bed judging by this thread!

3. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I would love a gameplay video. The PC Gameplay looks really, really polished, smooth and like a really good fit for iOS but i would also love to see how they managed touch control etc. I guess I will wait till then but it looks really good!

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Plays quite nice, from the hour or so I spent on it. But...

I already ran into a gamebreaking bug where combat suddenly stops working completely:
    My chars can neither move nor attack, and I cannot remedy this. Only thing that helped was start a new game and lose all current progress.
    The third time it happened maybe 5 minutes into the game, which did it for me.

I just don't have the patience to deal with this kind of glaring bugs (that any basic QA can catch easily) anymore, already cancelled the purchase. Sorry, developer.

5. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008

Ditto here, but I'm willing to keep the game, if the developer chimes in SOON, to acknowledge that the fix is imminent.

6. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I'm surprised by how much the audience for iOS games has changed in recent years; it used to be people were fine waiting more than 24 hours after the release of a game for fixes before refunding. I'm not saying they're wrong but it used to be pretty common for bugs to be discovered and people wait a few days patiently for a fix.

It would probably be better to email the developer with your issue than just jumping ship though. That way it's much more likely to get fixed faster.

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Pete: Well, I changed over the last few years. Since I work pretty closely with our QA department, I know how easy stuff like this is to automatically test. Not to mention manual testing, which would reveal this bug in under 30 minutes of playtime.
    That changed my perspective: from a small indie dev - e.g. a 1 person "team" - I am willing to accept more than from a large publisher like Calypso. And even the indie would get the flak from me for not finding something as obvious as this before release.

If they fix it, I can always repurchase later.

8. BulwarkStudios

BulwarkStudios Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Try to make good games ;)
    Angoulême (France)
    Hi!Thanks for your feedbacks. We're already working to fix this terrible bug! We just found the way to reproduce it. So as soon as we got the fix I'll let you know.
    And thank you for your patience,

9. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Bulwark Studios ARE a small developer though; with only four people working on the production of the game. I'm not judging in anyway, as I said, it's just interesting how things have changed.

10. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Beautiful game. Thanks for the quick action. I'm dying to play it w/o these obstructions!!

11. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
  12. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Wohooo touchy! Thx for the video, I hoped you make one :)

@Devs: Will buy it as soon as the combat bug is fixed so please hurry, i need something to play in the next days when i am traveling :)n

13. cyllwynn

cyllwynn Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2011

Getting it out of the way right now: It totally sucks balls to pay for something and then have it not work. No question, no debate.

That said, I wanted to chime in with the observation that not only has the outlook on bugs changed, but it seems to be counter intuitive when you look at it next to the predominantly voiced view here that Premium games are better.

With F2P, the trend has been to soft launch to get some paying (not paid, i.e. customers) beta testers and QA people, work out the bast majority of the bugs in some random region, then launch worldwide when ready. The game is a) soft launched, so you know it’s in testing and gonna have some bugs, and b) free, so you can’t complain too much about the price of admission.

Premium games are things that you have to purchase with your money up front. They TOTALLY should work. We should not be beta testers for premium games. I think this is all a statement of fact. Premium games also make less money (almost always), are harder to advertise, and harder to sell. I prefer premium games personally. Other than Hearthstone, I find most, if not all F2P games to be the same kind of weird social game that isn’t really a game kinda deal (farmville I still hate thee for those lost hours of my life).

My final statement of fact is: shit happens. It sucks. But none the less, the shite continue-ith to flow right when you don’t want it to. I’ve seen apps break for everyone but the dev team. I’ve seen apps get uploaded with literally a change to the credits and human error and no sleep ganked up part of the game. I have seen the wrong versions go live…I see a constant stream of Xbox One and PS4 games ship with day 1 patches to fix them that measure in at the multi-gig range.

The game should not have shipped with a glaring bug. Dev’s should find and use a solid and probably free dedicated pool of gamers who would run QA for nothing more than helping, and the game for free. But I want to see more premium games. I want to see more good games. And man-o’-man have I made some BIG dumb mistakes in my life… So as long as the dev is quick like a bunny to show up, apologize, and fix the problem within a couple of days, I will personally just wait and see. I spent $4 on a coffee today, the least I can do is give the benefit of the doubt to a group of people that spent weeks-months trying to make something to entertain me…

But I still agree that the fix needs to be fast, and the dev needs to be transparent with the community.No excuse of “I am working too hard to fix the problem”. Compose a short explanation and make it public, then fix it fast.

+++Side note+++ When a game get’s refunded, does apple return the cut that they have already taken? They don’t right? I wouldn’t if I was apple.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #34 Nullzone, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Credits to Bulwark for hopping over so fast and giving a status.

About betatesting Cyll mentioned:
    Wondering why they didn't ask for testers here on TA. You always find a few at least.
    Even with my very limited time, for a dev I like I put in a lot of effort for testing, feedback, and so on. And at least I don't expect a free copy for that. Still perfectly willing to pay, as when I decide to test or give feedback, I do it for my own fun ;)

Personally, I think this was in the hands of the publisher, and Bulwark had little to no say in it. Going live worldwide without beta and/or softlaunch is just folly.

What changed that I'm no longer patient?
    My changed attitude aside, the main factor for me is Apple's new refund policy for Europe. Now it's just a minute and you are done, no questions asked.
    Before the EU laws changed to make this necessary, I would have put the game on my backburner and come back to it in a few days, weeks, or even months. Impulse buy like this simply wouldn't have happened.

Apple keeping their cut:
    I know that they definitely did this before. No idea though what the current situation is for Europe, e.g. if that's still allowed by the new refund laws.

15. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    SO this looks good. I'll wait for update on nasty bug and buy. Looking forward to this.

16. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    #36 The Son of Anarchy, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    I haven't had the combat suddenly stop working yet, but I have had a scenario where the hero dies, signalling game over, and the screen is covered in a shadow and all input is lost. Can't continue, can't go back to main menu etc. So I shutdown the game completely and loaded it up again. I'm playing on the setting where exp is carried from game to game and it did save thankfully.

+1 for a quick update to fix any issues.

Edit: Upon resuming a new game after the above happened, first fight entered, all screen input not registered.

17. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Had this too

18. hincy89

hincy89 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    Great little game. Awesome art work, and the turn-based comat is fun and well thought out.

The lack a true tutorial is made up from jester help dialogue at the start of a new game but finding things out is part of the fun.(well designed)

Wish it was not so permadeath after so long you just don't know if a enemy is going to be too strong and just like that it's game over, new game. Nothing carry' s across unless you play on easy difficulty. With all this innovation I would have loved to see some kind of hybrid roguelike where rpg/roguelike met in the middle.

Defenetly a instabuy for most people I'm sure

19. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    just hit the bug last night. really annoying! the game is quite good though, so I'll happily wait for an update. I have hundreds of games I can play in the meantime.

all developers need to use TestFlight which supports something like 1000 beta testers. there's no way this bug would have been missed if they did that.

20. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Is this major bug happening all the time for everyone or is it hit or miss?