Universal Crimsonland HD (by 10tons)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 20, 2014.

1. 10tonsLtd

10tonsLtd Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Congrats! That's not an easy feat :)

2. asaw2

asaw2 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2013
    South korea
    We need multiplayer...!

3. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Anyone have any tips for survival mode? I think I made it to level 7 once, but usually I make it half or three quarters of the way through level 6, and then the enemies get so numerous that it seems impossible to deal with. I've tried lots of combinations of weapons and perks, and worked on improving my aiming and dodging, etc, but just can't seem to find anything that makes a big difference.

Also, I see the #1 score in leaderboards for Survival is 18,177,426, and the #2 score is 486,627. I assume the #1 score is a hack?

4. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    We made the Survival so that for most people, for most of the time, a single session won't last more than about 10 minutes. We felt this is a good sweet spot, and something that we enjoy the most.

You can push through this, though. Around this point the dynamics of the game change quite a bit. Basically no weapon is powerful enough to carry you any longer. Instead you need to start basing your gameplay entirely on powerups. You need to keep them going one after another almost all the time. Screen clearing Fire Bullets barrages, followed by Freeze, chained to a Shield, followed by Reflex Boost, linked to another Fire Bullets... And you will probably have Regression Bullets, Long Distance Runner and Bonus Economist going on.

Note that Regression Bullets may keep your score to basically zero for the longest time, and you'll only start to see gains during the last minute of your session (depending of course a lot on how good or bad you're at using it; I'm pretty bad)

1 million+ scores are very much doable for real, and we're pretty certain considerably higher scores have been reached without cheating as well (on other platforms, but the game is the same on all). By the million points mark the game is extremely wild and very touch and go, and large amounts of points can be scored much quicker than it seems on the way to the first million.

But hacks are rife. It's just the way it is for local only games.

5. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Thanks a lot for the tips. I'll try paying more attention to trying to chain powerups and see if I do better.

Regarding the Regression Ammo perk, I never tried it because from the description it seems like a purely negative perk with no up side. I figured it was just a novelty perk that you could choose if you want some extra challenge. The description just says if you keep firing when your clip is empty you lose points. When does it help?

6. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    Regression Bullets is one of the most powerful perks in the game, but it definitely is something you need to be aware of. It allows you to shoot constantly, without ever reloading. This is obviously great towards the end of a Survival run, when the screen is chock full of stuff to kill.

But the downside is severe. When you fire with an empty clip, you do lose exp/score. And you lose a lot, depending on the weapon. Like all the way to zero, if you have a high firerate weapon with a long reload time and just keep shooting all the time.

At some point, like at level 7 or so, things get easier. You'll be killing so many monsters that your score gain will start to surpass the effects of Regression Bullets. It happens sooner with a quick reload weapon (Fastloader helps too!), and/or slow fire rate weapon. Especially if you learn to pay a little attention to when you're reloading, so you can *try* and stop firing for a few fractions of a second.

For very slow fire rate weapons, like Ion Cannon or Plasma Cannon, you can just basically fire all the time with Regression Bullets almost from the start. Those weapons only shoot once or twice during reload period, so you lose almost nothing.

Ammunition Within has the same effect, but it drains your health instead of score. You can't kill yourself with it though. Health is obviously more critical than score, but I think Ammunition Within might be pretty good with the right weapon, and perhaps Greater Regeneration.

Overall, I personally Infernal Contract is something you need to pick always at least up to level 5 or so. The extra perks are super valuable, and you should almost always be able to gain your health back one way or another (Regeneration, if nothing else) by the time you'll start getting hit.

7. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    Halloween time! We discounted Crimsonland HD (the cheapest unlock) by a full dollar! Which is exactly as much as you need to purchase the totally Halloween-y King Oddball, also on sale.

And, Crimsonland is also on Steam Halloween sale. -60% for PC & Mac.

8. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I recently bought an MFI controller, and one of the games I really looked forward to use it for was this game.
    Unfortunately support for MFI controllers is broken.i don't know if the developers are aware of this, but the game freezes whenever I connect my Bluetooth Steelseries Stratus XL controller.

It's a shame...

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I've been using it with a PS3 controller and it works perfectly for me. I know that's not a legit MFi controller though.

10. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #90 Bytebrain, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    I'm assuming you're jailbroken then. I'm not, but even so, as you say yourself, a PS3 controller is not an MFI controller.. :)

If I start Crimsonland with my Stratus connected via Bluetooth, the game just hang on the intro screen, and if I wait until the game has properly loaded to turn on the controller the game instantly freezes up.

I hope 10Tons is still following this thread..:)

11. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Well, I just got notified by Amazon that my Mad Catz shipped. So by Tuesday I should have a Mad Catz CTRLi to try. I'm going to undo my jailbreak, and I'll let you know how Crimsonland works for me with a legit MFi controller.

12. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Cool, I'll look forward to your impressions on the Mad Catz controller.
    Is that a Bluetooth controller like my Stratus?

13. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Yes, it's a full size Bluetooth controller, with xbox analog stick layout.

http://madcatz.com/gamesmart-c-t-r-l-i/

14. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Controller support broken

I got my Mad Catz CTRLI, and now I get the same behavior as Bytebrain with Crimsonland. If I start the game with the controller connected, the game just freezes on the splash screen. If I try starting the game first and then connecting the controller, the game freezes as soon as the controller connects.

I'm using an iPad 4 running iOS 7.2.1. Every other game I've tried which has controller support worked perfectly with the CTRLi, so I know it's not a problem with my controller or iPad.

15. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    We are aware of the issue with bluetooth MFi controllers. We have actually fixed it already, and now we just need to get the update live.

Well, we fixed it for Steelseries Stratus, as that's the only bluetooth MFi controller we were able to score, but we're assuming the fix applies to all bluetooth MFi controllers.

Unfortunately we weren't able to get the four player local co-op multiplayer working on the same go. Or, actually, the co-op works, but for some reason we're not able to get more than one controller showing up in the game. It doesn't make any sense to us, and is actually sort of related to the freezing issue, but with any luck we may be able to crack it sometime in the future.

Apologies for this trouble, Crimsonland is definitely at its best with a physical controller.

16. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Ah,msn, that's great news!
    I look forward to the update.
    Still love your game. #

17. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Just noticed that Crimsonland was updated with fixed MFi support. Can't wait to try it again. I just couldn't get into it with touch controls, but with a controller it's an awesome game. Thanks for the update.

18. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Oh, that's #
    I was beginning to think it was never coming..
    I'll check it out as soon as I'm home from work, assuming I can stay awake.. I work until past midnight... #

19. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I just tried it with a controller. It works great, except for one new problem. The "Triggerless firing on gamepads" option no longer seems to work. Even with it checked I have to squeeze the trigger to fire.

I much prefer not having to use the trigger. I previously found that even with this option on, it's still possible to choose when to fire, since if you only push the right stick part way to the edge, it lets you aim without firing. So you don't actually lose any control by using this option. Most of the time I just want to keep firing anyway, and I find it physically a little uncomfortable to hold the right trigger in and use the right stick simultaneously.

20. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    One of the best dual sticks I've had the pleasure of playing. A perk system with far more depth than the simplistic appearance might lead you to believe. A smart game with awesome weapons that is simply a must own for any fan of the genre.

An extensive free demo with a full game unlock.