Universal Crimsonland HD (by 10tons)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    #41 Pickman, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    I gladly payed the 8,99€. Games on ios are ridiculously cheap. I refuse to complain about gameprices that are cheaper than a cup of coffee or a lunch in an average restaurant.

If companies should make premium games, they need money and if I get a full unlocked premium game without any in app purchases or annoying add banners, it is well worth 10 bucks or even more.

2. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Happy to see something more mature and the added bonus that one of my favorite devs 10tons made it, got my immediate purchase of the full version. I've purchased multiple copies of many of their games on my smartphones in the past and they've never disappointed me. Can't wait to be off work to play this one.

3. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    Welp, nostalgia has hit. I'll try this one, but I'm definitely firing up classic Crimsonland on my PC when I get home.

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Insta-bought full version. End of story, Jack.

5. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Read the thread but i still don't know what a full unlock gives...
    More perks, weapons and survival maps, i guess ?

While it's a bit too zoomed out for my liking (iphone here), bland backgrounds and not the best aiming i experienced...it does the most important thing right: kill splash gore boom bang enemies bye bye !

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I actually prefer it zoomed out more, other games similar to this i think are too close. Its a bit like 'Geometry wars' but with soldiers/aliens

I am enjoying the arena based levels but i would have loved this 'engine' with a proper story/levels, eg you enter buildings etc etc, find a key etc

7. 10tonsLtd

10tonsLtd Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    The full game unlock gives you access to rest of the 60 quests. Completing the quests unlocks all of the weapons and perks. The Survival mode stays the same, but you get to use a lot more weapons and perks after unlocking the game and completing the quests.

Oh, and you also get more survival modes with the unlock.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I have to ask if there's a permanent speed increase somewhere in the game. I know the default speed plays a huge role in succeeding in the game, but man...it's just...slow.

9. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    Try the Rush mode :)

10. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks, and there goes my last five bucks into the basket.

Yeah, thought the same about the speed but this old school shooter is simply not to be missed out for an old gamer with some blood thirst and the will to support the Devs.

11. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
  12. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    A few impressions after playing this some more on my iPad 4.

The game runs completely smoothly, and the UI is very slick. I love how fast everything loads in the game. I'm pretty impatient with loading screens, so I really appreciate that restarts or even switching to new levels is almost instantaneous.

Controller support in the game is excellent. It supports full navigation throughout menus and in gameplay. I have run into a bug though where occasionally when initially entering an arena in quest mode, my character won't respond to the analog sticks at all. The controller is still connected, and in fact the fix is just to hit the pause button (on the controller), and then I can use the analog stick to navigate to the Restart button and restart the level, and then everything works. I can't reproduce it reliably, but I think when it did happen it's been when I hit Continue after finishing a previous quest.

Survival mode is really fun. Definitely the most fun mode in my opinion. I like the sounds and visuals, and I feel like the difficulty ramps up at a nice rate. The perks are a fun idea and I like the selection of weapons. The enemy variety is great, and I like the strategy of trying to prioritize taking out nests vs enemies.

I found the quests fun initially, but by the time I got to around 2.8 or 2.9, I started to find that they seem to depend too much on getting lucky with a good weapon or powerup drop early in the level, rather than on skill. Sure it helps to get better at aiming and dodging, but the balance between on the one hand how under-powered the initial weapon is, how slow your character moves and how big their hit box is, and on the other hand how fast the enemies move and how densely they're packed, makes it so it seems impossible to last very long unless you get a good weapon drop or powerup early on. So succeeding just comes down to retrying until the RNG gods smile on you. This makes it so even beating a level with no scratch doesn't feel that satisfying. Maybe I just haven't figured out the right techniques to work on yet, but that's my impression so far. If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

Rush mode seems poorly balanced, though again maybe I just haven't figured out the right techniques. I like the concept of a simple shooting mode with no reloading or different weapons. However the balance seems wrong, since it seems like right from the beginning the enemies are too thick and fast to possibly shoot or dodge them for very long. I play bullet hell shooters a lot, and I'm familiar with playing on hard difficulty levels where I don't last very long. The difference though is that in a good bullet hell shmup, even when I get killed in 20 seconds, I can usually see how I could have survived if only I'd memorized the level better, or reacted faster, or moved more accurately, so I can see what skills I need to work on to improve. In Rush mode in this game though, I can't see even in principle how it's possible to last much more than a couple hundred kills.

Another problem which I noticed especially in quest 2.9 is that the enemies are often so close in color to the background that it's hard to see them. I'd appreciate a bit more contrast.

There seems to be a bug in the Game Center leaderboards, which is that it's sorting scores backwards. Among my friends it shows lower scores higher on the list, and in the global leaderboard all the top scores are 0. I don't know if this is a Game Center bug or in this game.

Overall I'm happy I unlocked the full game, since even just Survival mode is worth it. I'm also hopeful that there are some techniques that I just haven't discovered yet that will make Quests mode feel more skill based and therefore more fun. The presentation and production values are really nice.

13. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  14. B30

B30 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Planet Earth
    There's a hidden mini game at the end of the credits.

15. slammajamma28

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    How do I earn the star on each mission?

16. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    Don't take any damage :)

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh COOL, I was wondering if they kept that in!

18. slammajamma28

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    OHHHH!!! Great, thanks!!! :)

19. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Great assessment of the game. I'm having tons of fun with this.

20. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Thanks. I have to take back part of my criticism of quests. I spent an hour or so this evening playing, and am really enjoying the quests now. I just finished the 4th chapter. Partly I was making things harder than they needed to be by insisting in getting a star on every stage. When I stopped doing that they got a lot less frustrating. I'll probably go back later when I've unlocked everything and try starring them, but for now I'm just breezing through. Also I enabled perks in the quests, which makes them more interesting, and also a bit easier. I really like this game a lot now. The variety of weapons and perks and enemies is just outstandingly awesome.