Universal Crimsonland HD (by 10tons)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 20, 2014.

1. pinOi32

pinOi32 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Oh wow, I remember Crimsonland back when I was younger. This is the game that got me into these top down shooters.

There is another version of this in the App Store, but I don't know if it's still available. Hopefully this version isn't the same as that other one.

2. 10tonsLtd

10tonsLtd Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    This is the only original iOS version by the devs who created Crimsonland :) There's a very similar game called Crimsonworld which wasn't too bad and is still available. We think our original is better though ;)

3. pinOi32

Apr 24, 2014
    Yup, that's the one. I did forget the name, but yes, the gameplay is very similar. The originals are always copied for a reason! xD

Anyways, glad you guys put up your own version for iOS. Can't wait to play it!

4. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I just tried the game. It seems really fun. Definitely worth at least $5. My one request would some kind of tutorial, or at least an in-game manual or something. I get the basic dual stick moving and shooting, but everything else I'm having to figure out by trial and error. Is there a way to manually switch between weapons or do you use whatever the last thing you picked up? When you pick up a weapon do you have unlimited ammo for it? If not, when you run out does it just switch to another weapon? What about the different powerups that drop occasionally? Do they last for a fixed time or until the end of a stage?

5. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Ooh! Sweet! It's out in the US! Downloading now!

6. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    #26 bigjack66, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    Second game today not out in UK! Damn!
    Oh wait I went on us store by mistake duh!!#

7. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    You had me at iDracula.

8. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I played the heck out of this game on PC back in the day, and for years it was an automatic install whenever I bought a new PC or re-installed Windows.

When I got my first iPhone 5 or 6 years ago, one of the first developers I looked for on the appstore was 10 Tons, and even though I enjoyed their other iOS games, I was always hoping they'd make an iOS version of Crimsonland.

I tried the cheap knockoff "Crimsonworld", but it was just that, a cheap knockoff, and I deleted it promptly.

Finally, the real deal is on iOS, and after sampling the first few levels I bought it, and will highly recommend it to any fans of the genre.
    IMO it's better than any of its ilk.

Thank you, 10 Tons, for finally granting me my wish. :)

9. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    For some reason, You'll have to go into options to activate Perks in Quest mode.
    This is highly recommended, Perks is one of the most fun parts of the game, and it'll be much harder if it's not chosen.

In my mind, Perks should be on by default, as newcomers to the game might struggle mightily without them, especially since the aiming is quite a bit more difficult on a touch screen than on a PC with the mouse as an aiming device.

10. pinOi32

Apr 24, 2014
    #30 pinOi32, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    Doesn't work on an iPod Touch 4. It crashes after loading.

What a letdown...

11. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    There's no weapon switching. You use the one you picked up last.

Yes, weapon ammo is unlimited. (protip: the reload button is basically just for show. Just shoot all the time, you'll reload automatically when the magazine runs out. At least that's the way I do it, 99% of the time.)

Powerups last for a set time, you can see the timer on your crosshair. *Same type* powerups stack though; picking up Fire Bullets, and then another Fire Bullets extends the time you get to dish out fiery death.

But if you have Fire Bullets going and pick up Plasma Overload, whatever Fire Bullets you had left are wasted and you get one dose of Plasma Overload.

12. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    This is one of the biggest design changes we made to the remastered version.

The reason is simple; most of the Quest last for 30 seconds to one minute. There's very little time for a Perk to do anything in such a short time.

We also removed the Select Perk button (because we wanted less buttons), and now a Perk Selection Screen is forced every time the player gains a level. This interrupts gameplay, and we don't want to interrupt a 30 second Quest.

And there's a monster pushback effect and a short shield associated with getting a Perk, which have quite a dramatic effect on balance in a very short Quest.

In our mind, the main event of Crimsonland has always been the Survival mode, and there Perks get to do their thing as intended.

13. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    It probably runs out of memory. The iPod Touch 4 is infamous for the fact that it has the double the pixels of iPod Touch 3 (480x320 vs 960x640), but the same amount of memory. Even Apple had to stop supporting the device after iOS 6.

We've tried our best to keep the memory usage in check, but it seems we've crossed the line a bit on that device. The ground is a big texture map where all the crimson blood is drawn and then there's a lot of animation frames for the enemies.

We'll see if we can fix this in future versions but it might be hard since there's no certain & approved way to detect the device. Some have tried to use the presence of camera to detect this, but that has lead to failure in review process. We'd have to lower the resolution on all devices with a 960x640 screen and that is something we don't want to usually.

14. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Crimsonland was love at first sight on PC. When you guys released the remastered version on steam, it was an instabuy. Like mentioned before, 10tons and crimsonland were the first things I searched in the app store the day i got my first iphone. That the game is finally available to play on ipad and on mobile is a dream come true, so thank you for releasing it.

While I understand your arguing about not having perks in quest mode, I have to admit, that this was always one of the things I liked most, so i really appreciate the option to turn them on in the menu.

After some playing I encountered only minor annoyances:

- Sometimes the gun simply won't reload. I am stuck with a zero ammo magazine and the only option is to restart the level.
    - I would rather be able to stretch out the aiming circle some more, like in the PC version. The radius seems too close to the player right now, preventing me from getting some accuracy in my hits.

Apart from this, it's perfect. 5 Stars!

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm really enjoying this. Its a great arena style shooter, nice updated graphics, seems to be a lot of content. Well worth trying out

16. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    This is a known but so far rare bug. It might be that occurs more often on iOS, but we haven't been able to track it down yet. For the time being you can imagine that your gun has jammed. You should be able to clear it with the reload button :)

17. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    It happened to me to, luckily, another weapon spawned after 30 seconds, and I could pick that up and it worked.
    In my panic I didn't think to press the reload button.

I understand your reasoning regarding the perks in quest mode. Thank you for the answer.

I agree with Pickman, the aiming is a bit imprecise, moving the aiming circle further away from the player character may improve a bit on that?

18. decabol

decabol New Member

May 1, 2012
    You did a really nice job. $4.99 might be a bit high price for some people but it worths every penny for a top-down shooter lover like me. :)

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think iOS games are too cheap ! $4.99 is a totally fair price as you'll get a lot of gameplay out of this

20. decabol

decabol New Member

May 1, 2012
    Selling a game on iTunes for more than $0.99 does always return with a lot of complaints about how expensive the game is which bugs me too.

As I said, it worths every cent I spent on Crimsonland but the thing I tried to mention is most of the games that charge anything higher than $0.99 are ignored on iTunes.