iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. PaPaFuNk

PaPaFuNk Active Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Finally picked up the game on sale and enjoying it. Please update so you can disable the music! I would like to play with sound effects but the music got on my nerves after about 30 minutes. Now I have to play on mute.. but good game other than that!

2. postmanmanman

postmanmanman Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Well I bought it since I've been eyeing it for a while... how could anyone have ever thought these controls would be OK? I can't tell how many times I've acidentally sold an important item or acidentally hit "Escape" in a battle.

On a lesser note, good god is the music terrible. Not only is it hardly fitting, each piece is about five seconds long and loops constantly. The break between each loop of the song also sounds unbelieveably unprofessional. I can't believe that the PSP version was this bad.. Atlus never would have published something so obviously in need of polish.

3. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    I agree the menu system is not ideal, but it doesn't take long to get a hang of them without stuff ups.

I'd have to disagree 100% about the music. The music loops every minute in major towns, not 5 seconds. The music also changes from places to places, unlike jrpgs such as zenonia and inotia which loops the same music over and over after 3 seconds.

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I believe the PSP version is overall a much better and more polished package, eg. Full voice over and the interface is consistent, unlike in the iPhone version.

As many people said, the original content is great, but the port is just so-so. I personally have no problem with the controls, but I'm quite annoyed by the out-of-synced voice acting.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #945 squarezero, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    Besides the voice acting, the main difference between the PSP version and the iPhone version is that the sprites are upscaled in the iPhone version. Check out gameplay videos in YouTube -- I'll be damned if I see much of a difference. I certainly wouldn't say that the PSP version is a much "more polished package." There's little that can be said about the controls that has not been repeated ad-naseum: you either get them, or you don't.

As to the quality of the port in general, I refer people to Hybrid 2, the latest Gamevil debacle. I would say that, considering the size and complexity of the source, this is a decent but by no means perfect port.

6. postmanmanman

postmanmanman Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    I should add that I do enjoy the game. A lot. I mean, I just sat down to play for "maybe 20 minutes" and emerged quite surprised four hours later. It's just that it's frustrating to see such an amazing game hidden beneather layers of terrible design choices.

All the menu problems could be solved if we just had an onscreen D-Pad for menu navigation. Sure, it's not creative or perhaps fitting for a touchscreen, but it'd be a hell of a lot easier.

7. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Or if they're consistent with the swipe up/down thing. though some people would definitely call it lazy, I agree using the D-Pad would be much easier. What matters most is despite all that, it's still an enjoyable game and quite an epic RPG I've been waiting for since the Appstore was launched.

8. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Yay -- finally beat the game, taking nearly 40 hrs to do so.
    One of the best rpg I've played :)

9. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Glad I bought it when it was on sale... The menus are near impossible to navigate. Plus everything thing has a transparent square on it, which happens to be very annoying for someone like myself. Another gripe: Enemies on the map all look the same! I think I am going to fight a Galorin and instead I get misquitos? It does the same thing during battles, instead of it showing which monster will have its turn next, it is the same Galorin circle. The game seems fun, but there are too many flaws to justify a full price purchase.

10. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009

Seriously?

11. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Yes. It shouldn't be THAT difficult to select an item or equip something.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It isn't really, once you get used to it. I guess you can argue that you shouldn't have to "get used to it." But that's not the same thing as "near impossible."

13. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    It's not difficult to select an item...

14. Betty 2K1

Betty 2K1 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Hi, I've just bought the game and I must admit I'm struggling a little bit with the menu's. I'm sure it's been covered before (but it's a long thread to read all the post), but has anyone got any tips/instructions on successfully navigating the menu's.

Many thanks

15. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Instead of just clicking at the item below the cursor, stroke downwards. If i remember correctly, if you stroke and hold on the menu it will rapidly scroll down the options. The only way to stop this is stroking down/up through the items/skills one at a time.

Also theres a really faint box around all the menus (as previously said). If you click outside of the box, it will make you go to the previous menu.

16. raptor200

raptor200 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    i also had my doubts about the menu scrolling but bought it yesterday and it was about 15-20 min of frustration , after that i got used to it, and its not that bad, and can easly be forgiving for such a great game

17. niezam

niezam Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    App Store
    v1.1.1 is out now,

Auto-save function added and bugs fixed.

18. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    no control improvement? i am disappointed.

19. Kylescorpion

Kylescorpion Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Next update maybe?

20. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    controls are a little messed up but the game is absolutely playable (I finished it).
    The auto save feature is far more important IMO as receiving a phone call could erase your progress before the update. And after all, this is a cell phone game ;)

So, thank you, devs!