iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Not to scare off any potential buyer with my constant cry about out of sync voice over, I'll say that I love this game and everything about it is perfect. It feels really epic with heaps of contents and areas to explore.

In my opinion, there are 3 classes of asian RPGs on the appstore.

1. Console quality RPGs which are deep and enganging, eg. Chaos Rings, Crimson Gem Saga, Across Age and FF.

2. Mobile phone quality RPGs which are rather generic and rely on grinding for game length, eg. Zenonia 2, Inotia 2

3. Budget mobile RPGs, eg. Luna Story, Inotia 1.

2. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    #762 ImLegend, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    You look like me, keep complaining at the beginning, then love it hard afterward ;) after beat the game in 50+ hrs, now playing the 2nd time, just love it

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    LOL at the 30000 sword :)
    Is the best Killian weapon?

4. I was wondering that too. Something seems off... or is that a type of new marketing strategy that I never knew about? :rolleyes:

5. Joshn

Joshn Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    England
    It doesn't actualy do 30k damage. It has pretty nice stats though but i doubt it's the best weapon.

6. ImLegend

Jun 26, 2010
    You will get the best weapon near the end of game from a sidequest

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm on ch. 4 ... I hope I won't miss that side quest.
    Currently on Ziggurat, heading to the top.

8. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    'console quality' is a horrible term. Mainly because CGS has always been a portable game, so has the 'psp remake ff' on the app store =P

The certain tier of iphone rpg is

1. Designed specifically for iphone (decent to high budget): basically just Chaos Ring lol.

2. Ported from pc/console/portable system (decent budget): CGS, FF games. Shining Force.

3. Ported from korean mobile action rpg (pretty low budget, crap translations): Com2us, gamevil, etc etc etc x a billion =P

There are a few anomalies but about 90% of iphone rpg's fit one of those 3.

9. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    I think the term 'console quality' is being thrown around rather loosely here. There is a rather sizeable gap between console RPGs and handheld ones.

About the update (I know I'm a little late), there have been some good tweaks, menus are noticeably less jittery now, I've noticed. Of course, the medallion/heal bugs have been fixed, which is nice.

10. ImLegend

Jun 26, 2010
    you're almost there ;)

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I'm several hours into the game but can some help me on what F - I - W - L - H - D and SLOT means? they're always there when purchasing stuffs but I never understand them.

12. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Fire, Ice, Wind, Lightning, Holy, Dark.

Slot indicates how many buffs you've added to that item, with 3 being the max.

13. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    I am thinking about buying this game, but there is one thing that I must know before I buy: When you equip weapons, armor and items, do they appear different on your characters or do they stay the same? In other words, does each sword look different? This is the only thing I didn't like about Chaos Rings, and while it's my favorite RPG on the idevice, I really wish equipment would look different on the characters.

14. FaustWolf

FaustWolf Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Killian's best armor (and sword?) result in a change to his sprite, but no appearance effects for other equipment to my knowledge.

15. cabaret

cabaret Member

Apr 14, 2010
    (Not sure if this is the right thread for this.)

This might be a bit of a 'n00b' question, but I gemmed Killian and Spinel's weapons with some gems (don't remember exactly which ones) and suddenly their damage became really low. Can this be related to the gems or do the weapons have some kind of durability that I'm overlooking? I'm currently lost in Ganensher Dungeon and just ran out of tents so I might die soon. The loss of damage is really getting on my nerves though as I can't find a good reason for it. Perhaps the mobs I'm fighting got stronger? :(

I'm 15 hours into the game now and I love it. I've never had any problems with the controls (Fixed D-pad) nor do I understand why people here are complaining about the sprites or the voiceovers being wonky. It seems to me that the voiceover thing is done on purpose and it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, better this way than no voiceovers at all? I'm happy to have this game.

16. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    It's probably because you've added elements to your weapons that the monsters in Ganensher Dungeon are resistant too, reducing your damage.

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Has any of you finished the game? If you've finished the game and want to replay it again, do you get to keep all the equipments and stuffs? or is it from scratch again?

I kinda wish we could replay the whole thing on hard mode or something once we finish it.

18. Wingy

Wingy Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I wish this game had a new game plus! - maybe in the next update?

You get loads of joker cards + Plat medallions from the last 3 bosses as well as a ton of exp - it would be nice to go through the game again.

Also Altus how about a new ending lol in the next update - no offence but I wasn't really digging it to much at all.
    There should be some new cut scene if you beat the end boss instead of losing to him.

19. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    skill learning strategies

I am just a couple of hours into the game (Chap 1) but I don't know what to do with learning skills. Each character can learn tons of skills and even revealing them costs lots of SP.
    What strategy have you used to figure out which skill to learn for each character?! I know the skill trees that can be found on the web, which are a help, but even when knowing the names and type of the skills, I still don't know if which ones are the best....

Maybe you can share your strategies for picking skills for each character....

20. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    #780 Eduku, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
    It depends on what you want your characters to do. Each 'branch' in a skill tree usually has some sort of theme (e.g. healing, status effects, etc.) to it, so even if you haven't revealed the next few skills in that branch, you pretty know what sort of skills they are anyway. For example, I want Killian to be the tank/healer of the group, since I think it would be a bit of a waste of a party space to have Gelts when Killian can do his job and deal more damage anyway. Killian has a branch in his skill tree which focuses on healing, and another which focuses on attacking, so I just chose the healing one to progress in.

It basically depends on what role you want your characters to carry out.