iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Here's a screenshot from a town in the third chapter of the game (about 18 hours in for me). If you look carefully down the bottom, you will notice some of the tile seams. After the update, they're barely visible on the iPhone screen itself; before, they were more noticeable.

As to whether to get this or CR, it depends whether you're looking for a more traditional RPG experience, or want to try something fairly different. They're both high-quality games that any RPG fan should play.

Attached Files:

2. CyberData4

CyberData4 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    At the end of the day, regardless, I'm not going to make excuses. The game was already developed. Translation, Art, Game mechanics, 95% of the required assets for this game were already created.

Porting was ALL they needed to do and it wasn't done well. It's mediocre. Hopefully via updates and time that will change.

Now, at the end of the day we all vote with our wallet and I chose to buy this game because I believe that in order for iphone gaming to really become mainstream and see the higher quality games we see on the psp and ds we have to be willing to show that we're willing to spend on it.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It's not excuses. It's reality. Porting an engine from Sony's crazy code to Objective C costs money. Rescaling all the artwork to fit an iPhone screen costs money. Licensing costs money. All those voice actors getting residuals costs money. Testing an 30 hr+ game costs money. And so on.

At the end of the day, the publishers calculations have to result in decent chance to make a profit or at least break even. Considering that the App Store market demands a price that's a third of the original, and that CGS is not a well-known IP, I just don't see how people can expect better than this from a small publisher. Look at the FUBAR that is Zenonia 2 -- and that's from a Java cellphone game, for crying out loud.

Of course, we can always wait till Atlus goes ahead a makes a perfect port of the game.

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Is Atlus capable of that??? :D

I still have not caved and got this, but damn you squarezero, the thread continues to surface to the top day after day, so I can't forget to be blissfully ignorant.... :p

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    They published the game on the PSP, so theoretically they could. But they're not going to, because there's not enough money in it for them.

6. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Simply being a small publisher is not an excuse for a subpar release. That's like saying well my publishing company is small so if I'm missing a page or two, or if something is printed upside down, that's okay, I'm a small press.

I can tell you one thing, I won't be buying another Atlus release until after I hear others review it first. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect something that doesn't have all the problems CGS was released with.

But i also had all my teeth pulled out this week so I'm crankier than normal.

7. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    which still makes it strange after all this money they were unable to produce a menu system that is not insane !
    forget beta testing, in the alpha testing people must have been saying but why does this menu go this way, and then the next the other way....

i like the game but the interface is sh*t and just because according to this thread a lot of people have "got used to it" doesn't change the fact !
    i woudl like a game where the menus are intuiative not something i have to get used too !
    especially at this price

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Funny, I've been reading this book with "missing pages" for hours and hours and enjoying it immensely. The analogy simply doesn't hold: the game is not broken; you're just finding it too annoying to play it. And that fine -- it's your right, but it's also your loss.

Sorry to hear about your teeth -- you have my sympathy.

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    While that's true the difference is that the devs of the CGS port (Nate Games) are committed to taking care of all the bugs they find.

So you may have upsidedown pages now but one day you'll go to read and see that things are the way they should be.

When it comes to ports it's pretty common for the devs making the port to take on the cost of porting in hopes of making that money back through sales. So the first goal is to make the game as stable and playable as possible to get it released. Once the game is making some revenue the devs can focus in on the specific complaints/changes/features that users demand.

I'd also like to mention that this Square Enix had issues with FFI / FFII and Rockstar had issues with GTA:CTW. Nate Games should really be commended for taking on a project this big and staying open about all bug fixes and issues they are working on

10. Morley83

Morley83 New Member

May 18, 2009
    Hey there! Getting 4 stars from me - game is great but still suffering from the control issues and lack of voice acting. Also all the semi-transparent objects have artefacting and/or visible borders on the iPhone 4. I think a great solution to the Voice Acting problem (if it is a memory size problem) would be to have the voices available as an optional in-app download. Heck, even if i had to pay a little extra for the voices as an in-app purchase I would!

Otherwise great game, really love that it has been ported!

11. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    I hope they add auto-save in future updates, it's quite annoying without it.
    Also what determines who attacks first? Sometimes my character is facing the enemy yet the enemy will attack first, and it's not the fast enemies like the bees either.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It depends who is moving towards whom. Basically, the key is to try to attack before the enemy spots you; if you're spotted, get to them before they start moving towards you. If they're moving towards you, make sure to move towards them.

13. Cigaweedz

Cigaweedz Member

May 27, 2009
    #753 Cigaweedz, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    Darn it. The game boots me out at 99:59:59. Guess I have to wait for another update to sort this out.

14. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I hope the the dev is listening to us and will fix this in an update. It's such a shame as everything else is perfect.

15. shidokan57

shidokan57 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    im in the silvernian dungeon and theres no treasure chest for the huge scroll! wtf! this happen to anyone else? or did i do something wrong?

16. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    In addition (for November's Chopin, not you, Squarezero since you seem to have spent a lot more time in the game than me;)): You can ambush an enemy from behind. Attack them before they notice you (symbolised with the '!' mark) or wait until they turn their back on you.

17. Soulblitz

Soulblitz Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Yeah, the most off-putting thing about the game for me is that the voice is the final sentence of a character's dialogue, because if they have more than one, it doesn't sync. Either have it as just the first or last sentence of voice dialogue, but just make sure the voice plays when that specific set of text is triggered. It seems like one of those things that would immediately get on my nerves.

Has anyone else found this annoying and not been able to carry on playing, or have you just gotten used to it?

18. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Some players get annoyed by the controls / interface, some by the voice acting. I'm myself perfectly fine with the controls but very annoyed with the voice-acting. It just seems not considered at all.

You gave two great options for the solution though. You should definitely post it on their facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CrimsonGemSaga

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Personally (chapter 4 now) I got used to.
    I have to say that, among the total of dialogues in the game, the voiced one are really a minority and they tend to be almost all at the start of the game and between chapters during the cutscenes.
    It's a real pity because voices are really top notch IMHO and add a lot to the characters.
    I really wonder why the cut those...as long you're over 20 mb and willing to download hundreds of mb nonetheless, it really pointless to cut things to keep the size 'small'.

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Maybe I'm missing something big here but...is @CrimsonGemSaga the official game Twitter account?
    Because...how can I say it...why the hell they tweet links about pirated version/ipa/and the like for, I assume, jailbroken devices?

Uh???