iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Can2

Can2 New Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Any1?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I don't expect that they will -- seems to me that they were deliberately trying to make the application smaller.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It's been a while since I completed that quest -- if I remember correctly, once you find the water of life spring all you have to do is head back to the inn in the village. If that doesn't work, check out a walkthrough online.

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    How so? I thought this game doesn't support retina resolution or antialiasing? :eek:

Is it just the brighter screen and improved framerate? or actually more colorful and gorgeous?

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I espressed myself wrong.
    Thanks to the improved screen, I found the game graphics better on the retina display.
    The game does not support the retina display (and supposedly never will).

6. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Do you guys think this kind of platform would allow for expansions? Such as new quests or a secret extremely hard dungeon?

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    If you read through a walk-through, you will probably find that there are secret dungeons and sidequests that you have missed (I know of at least a couple in my case, which is making me seriously consider a second run). As far as expansions are concerned, keep in mind that every dungeon in this game is hand-rendered (rather than programmatically generated), so it's no trivial matter to add another location. Since it's a port, I would doubt that Nate Games would invest in generating brand new content; don't know if IronNos or Atlus ever released any expansions on the PSP side.

8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I'm interested in buying this, but I've heard about the issues with controls. Is the newest update any better?

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Has any PSP or PS2 game received substantial content update?

The answer is probably the same.

10. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Game Impressions

I'm more annoyed by the out-of-sync and cut-off voice acting than the controls.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yes, the update is a big improvement, but not a transformation, which is what some people were (unrealistically) looking for. The directional controls are fine -- better than what you would find on something like Zenonia or Inotia. The issue is the menu controls which are counter-intuitive and poorly explained. In practical terms, what that means that for the first half-hour you're likely to utter WTF more than once; then you'll get it, and it won't be an issue anymore (or even come to appreciate some of the ways it makes gameplay more convenient). Some people may never get them, though, and may find them a continuing annoyance. Regardless, it's a comparably small issue in a game that has literally dozens of hours of original content.

12. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    What I don't understand is why don't the developers try to explain the interface better? In CGS' case, probably they're doing it now and will release it in a future update (as this update is focused on show-stopping bugs).

However, in Prince of Persia Retro, the controls were actually perfect in the first version. They just failed to explain it (and I wouldn't have known either if I didn't read it here), yet rather than making a simple explanation (it's really not that complicated), they decided to change and ruin the controls!

Hopefully nate / atlust / ironnos won't do the same mistake.

13. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever disagreed with you on anything but I really do have to disagree with this. The directional controls are far from fine. They're sluggish and unresponsive on my 2G Touch. And the menu controls are just godawful. I don't care how great the game is, or how many hours of gameplay there are, when I have to constantly fight the controls, it saps the will to live out of me. Sure I'd get used to it after awhile, but I shouldn't have to. I waited for the update to start playing and while these issues may not be a problem for you, they are a problem for others. If this were like a 4.99 or 5.99 game I wouldn't bitch; but when they charge a premium price I have an expectation that I get what I pay for.

As it is, I spent way more on games this week than I have in the last two months combined, so I have plenty to hold mme over for the next update. To be fair, I'm not going to leave a review on iTunes until the next update, but this is just a sloppy, disappointing port control wise.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Scott, you are not disagreeing with me.

I'm playing it on an iPhone 4 and the directional controls are perfectly responsive; they worked just as well on my iPhone 3Gs. Now that I have the mercury shoes I can easily avoid encounters, navigating around pursuing enemies. As to the menu controls, I'm not struggling with them. At all. In fact, I appreciate some of the cleverness: for example, you can select multiple classes of items to sell all at once -- very convenient when you're hitting town after finishing a dungeon. The one menu that still feels awkward is the skill upgrade one: that's a result of having to navigate up and down branches, rather than have it work as a grid. Thankfully, it's a menu that most people will not use very often.

Now, that's my experience, and I can safely say that it's also the experience of many people who are playing the game. As I made it clear in my comment, it's certainly not everyone's experience.

15. CyberData4

CyberData4 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    It's a good game with s sloppy port. So at this point we can either take it for what it's worth and move on.

Personally, I purchased it and I'm very pleased with the d-pad being moved.

The only thing I'd like to see is fast app switching added. But I'm not holding my breath.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I think it's as good a port of a big game as we'll likely see from a small publisher, considering the current limitations of the App Store market.

17. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    So how does this game look on iphone 4?

Stilling waiting for some true retina goodness rpg to hit stores lol.

18. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, my problem is that the voice-over isn't synced with the subtitles, not that there isn't _more_ voice-over. Besides, it is kind of strange that they retained voices for the last parts of conversations, rather than for the first ones, like in CRPGs of late 90-ties.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #739 squarezero, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
    Frankly, now that Chaos Rings for the iPad is out, I see no reason why SE couldn't upgrade the iPhone version to retina display.

As to CGS, the update makes it look better on the iPhone 4 that it did when it was originally released. In fact, it looks pretty darn good.

@Isilel: I think they chose what worked best to make the conversation flow -- if you just listen to it, rather than read along, it actually sounds pretty good.

20. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Would be nice if ya could screenshot the game on your iphone 4 =P

So would you recommend Chaos Rings or this, if you had $10 to spend and haven't played either?