iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    He's probably thinking about Chaos Rings.

2. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    duh ....i stand corrected ! :)

3. Thorbjorn

Thorbjorn Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    So basically, you're not saying anything, correct?

"Let me guess, the antenna issue puts the user at fault, as well?"

The above is complaining? Hardly.

" If you decide to keep your phone (or, more likely, bought it despite of it) and you decide not to put a case on it, and you write a post complaining about it, yeah, I would call that pointless whining."

Well I did order a case. Below:
    "and a case is on order, for free!"

So why would I return my phone*, or complain about the design flaw? I wouldn't. It's called a point, and I was making one, using a fact about the iPhone 4 reception issue.

*"and you choose to keep it even though you can return it and get something else."

So you made the choice to jump on the opportunity to flame my post, and so far, you've said nothing.

And it was 25 hrs+ that I wrote. not 30. And I mention my data was retained in a previous post, not the one you quoted. Did you not read that, as well, or you're now deciding to congratulate me on it?

4. Thorbjorn

Jul 5, 2009
    I've been to finish cgs, before I go for CR.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The "you" there was supposed to be general (and it included me as well, since I just bought an iPhone 4) -- not "you" specifically. In any event, this is all way off topic -- and pretty darn circular at this point -- so we might as well leave it at that.

25 or 30, that's still a bunch of hours, and I would feel bad to hear that you lost it. I'm genuinely glad that you didn't.

6. Cynicalone

Cynicalone Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Alright I went ahead and downloaded it.

The bronze medallion bug is a bit of a pain, I was able to upgrade one skill then after that the game wouldn't let me back out of the menu.

On the iPhone 4 the graphics are okay, not great.

I wish they would give you an option to turn off the voice over's. They really should have just cut them rather than leave in just the last line of every conversation string.

The controls are okay, kinda counter intuitive. Thanks to reading this thread I was able to figure out what I was doing with a little trial and error.

After about 2 hours of playing the game I feel fairly comfortable with it.

With a solid update or two this could be a real star on the app store. Since the JRPG market is so limited right now.

7. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Yeesh.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=18924

Anyhoo, been having great fun with this so far (heading back to the monastery now with about 15 hours in), and have been slowly building up a supply of bronze medallions while we wait for the patch. Haven't quite figured out what adding cards and gems to equipment really does, as I'm not seeing much change in the amount of damage inflicted after adding items.

I wasted a crapload of skill points looking for skills I (thought I) wanted, and finally sat down and made an Excel spreadsheet that maps things out. It has pretty much everything for Killian, Spinel, Gelts, Lahduk and Henson for now, and if someone wanted it to convert into a viewer friendly format I'd be happy to send it over.

Overall more than happy with the graphics, combat and storyline. Once the couple of bugs are fixed up it'll be a 9/10 for sure. :)

8. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I am definitely interested in this game - but am at a loss, should I get CR while it is on sale, or should I get this instead?

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    If you're looking for a more traditional epic JRPG, this is definitely a better choice than CR. The story is big if familiar, the characters are well drawn, there's plenty of variety of environments and quests, and the combat and upgrade system is both deep and fun to use.

As I've written elsewhere, CR feels like an RPG written by and for grown-ups: it's the kind of game that can make you feel awful at the fact that you won the big decisive battle. Now, personally, I think that's great, but other people may find it a bit brooding. Also, once you're cycling to the next set of characters, things are not terribly different, though the story keeps growing. It doesn't quite feel like a traditional RPG; for me that's a big plus, but I love the fact that there's something like CGS that's more straightforward (but very well done) available in the App Store.

So yeah, it's kind of a tough choice. Just think about what you want out of an RPG, and keep in mind that 1) CR is on sale; 2) CGS is not on sale, and it has some issues that should be addressed in the forthcoming update.

10. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    thanks SquareZero - I am definitely interested in a more adult storyline and the sale on CR is making me lean more in that direction. However I can't seem to find a legitimate answer for how long it actually takes to beat it - I have heard any wheres from 6 to 20 hours.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Beating it with all 4 sets of characters -- about 20 hours. With one set, about 6 or so. Some people just gave up after they finished up with Escher.

As far as I'm concerned, you won't go wrong with either choice.

12. Thorbjorn

Jul 5, 2009
    Smooth.

You ignore me, by giving me more attention. And with the highest level of link stealth.

And next time, just go ahead and save before you explore a skill tree. That way, you can just load your game, after you discover all the skills! Then you can decide what you want.

A priceless strategy, in this genre. Wouldn't you agree, Zero?

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As a matter of fact, I do. Thanks for the tip.

14. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    #614 Farmer Harv, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
    Ah, zip files can be attached here. :) Here's the work in progress spreadsheet, and hopefully I'll have it fully fleshed out with the tree branches included by tomorrow night. Enjoy.

Edit: Found a much better way to do this (I think)...here's a .pdf file with everyone on their own page:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3792284/Crimson%20Gem.pdf

15. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    @Thorbjorn: Strange it should happen twice in the same family. Never had that happen to me, but then again I've only been Apple's follower since 3G release.

Were your devices jailbroken?

Maybe I should start taking backups as well. Usually I don't even connect to iTunes except when I'm doing an OS upgrade.

@Farmer Harv: Beautiful. I've only seen skill trees of Killian and Spinel before. Thanks for this.

16. Thorbjorn

Jul 5, 2009
    #616 Thorbjorn, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
    I'm not the type of person that would JB.

Hicadoola.

It was my GF mom. Hers literally bricked, though. She got a new phone from apple. And she is like most people, and probably didn't back up her phone, syncing only for updates that she gets wind of.

My ip4 is actually very slow, and I am constantly restarting it for hopes of better 3G, and even wifi speed.

Idk what my next move is, with the phone.

17. CrimsonGemSaga

Jul 30, 2010
    The cards and medallions are tabescent item.

18. CrimsonGemSaga

Jul 30, 2010
    We have no plan about HD version yet, but we give a positive consideration.

19. zinnrich

zinnrich Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Game Impressions

Worth 9.9?

20. CrimsonGemSaga

Jul 30, 2010
    The version 1.0.1 is about to hit the App Store. Here are the free promo codes to give you the taste of the game:
    HARY3JNYWARN
    AWA7H6A4HALA
    Claim it fast before others did!