iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thank you.
    Thinking it was an high level dungeon I didn't went there (I was sucked in the story too)...as soon as I return there I'll go, hoping loot isn't level related.

BTW....Monster Compendium + Mercury Boots and the game feels a lot different.
    With mercury boots in particular 'random encounters' become really 'optional encounters' (which I like...now I can follow the story uninterrupted and I can finally surprise enemies almost always)

Game is better at every location.
    I'm so glad I bought it.

2. draxx

draxx Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Hadn't played for a few days. Just got to Habsburg, tried to go into the princes house and doing that 100% assrammed my iphone (Jailbroken 3G). It wouldn't respond to anything at all (Holding power button, touching screen, volume keys etc.) for a solid 5 minutes, and when it did respond it made some weird noise and the game crashed. Anyone else have that happen? I'm about to go try again. Had no other apps running and had as much free memory available as I could.

3. Darkus

Darkus Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Oh. Hi.
    ...Update expected anytime soon?
    I'd like to be able to actually play this. Battle controls are TERRIBLE.

4. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    #564 Faeryan, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
    Had the same. There were a few houses (the prince's house as one of them) that would just freeze my phone. Constantly clicking the sleep button would sometimes put the phone into sleep mode and then clicking home button it would bring the lock screen on top.
    I had a Cydia script/app that would show the amount of free memory on the top bar and whenever the game froze the amount of free memory was 3MB.

What I believe is the problem is that CGS needs a lot of memory, and the 3G phone has barely that amount available, and if you've jailbroken your device there's some things that use a little amount of memory, effectively making the game freeze.
    Haven't had any of those problems after getting my new iPhone 4. Both 4 and my old 3G were running 4.0.1 OS so I'm pretty positive it's a memory issue.
    Putting your phone on safe mode might fix the issue.

EDIT: The freezes were random. After restarting the game I could enter the prince's house with no problems. Also sometimes when changing areas the game would just crash. I believe it also happening because of the low memory on my device. If this happens to you then be sure to save often.

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just curious, how is the game on iPhone 4 retina display?
    (I'm about to buy it as soon as I manage to find it).
    Does it load faster?

Note to the dev: the unskippable various logos at the start of the game don't help.

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Hmmm just did the first 2 floors...zero medallions :(
    Is there any place to buy medallions?
    I just learnt 'holy massive damage to all enemies' skill, and I want it to be level 5 :)

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Just got my iPhone 4. It loads faster, though not dramatically so (still, I bet that it loads faster than the PSP version).

Graphically, the imperfections on the tiling and sprite layering are more obvious on the higher resolution screen, as one would expect. The game runs faster, too, which makes the menus a bit more sensitive. Neither issue is a big deal (especially once you get used to the menus) but I'm sure that newcomers with iPhone 4s will particularly appreciate the update.

8. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Dude... Congrats! But doesn't that also mean that you have to play the game all over again? Is there a way to transfer save files to your new iPhone? Sorry for straying a bit from the main topic.

9. lopches

lopches Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    im enjoying this game. just one thing, isit possible to make the crit easier to press?

10. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    Someone already answered that and I'm along the same lines. The graphics are more or less the same but due to better performance the gaming seems way better than it was with 3G.

Haven't tried too many games on iPhone 4 but all the games I have tried on both devices look pretty much the same. Apple's pixel doubling technique on iPhone 4 or whatever it's called will make the games look at least as good as they were on older devices, so the fears of not being able to play "old" games on iPhone 4 due to them not looking good anymore.

I thought the games won't store the savefiles so I used iFile to take copies of the saved games and transferred them on my computer, but after switching to my new device the saved games were there without me having to put them back manually.
    Don't take my word for it happening to everyone, but it happened to me for sure.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Save files transfer without a problem -- you just have to make sure to backup your old phone in iTunes, then restore from backup with the new phone.

You lose save files only when you intentionally delete an app from your phone.

And yeah, the iPhone 4 is awesome.

12. yongkykun

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Cool, I'll give it a try.

BTW, will the dev add more character voices so that instead of 60% of dialogue we'll get 100%?

13. Cynicalone

Cynicalone Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Assuming you setup your new iPhone from a backup of your old iPhone. Then your app data will be on the new device, it's one of the many things that get's backed up by iTunes.

14. yongkykun

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Really? I used my iPhone along with my 2G iPod Touch, so I didn't know that. But now that I've sold my Touch and currently waiting for my iPhone 4 to arrive, I can play to my heart's content without worrying about the save file issue then. Thanks for clearing that up mate!

15. Thorbjorn

Thorbjorn Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    #575 Thorbjorn, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    I really hope so because if not, you are reading a post from a 25+hr Crimson Gem Saga vet, that just lost all his save data, not to mention priceless videos and pictures of his family, his daughter, etc.

I'm really not a fan of apple right now.

Not only did a family member's 3GS brick just a few a weeks ago, but my iPhone 4 just $%&%$# BRICKED.

WTF.

SERIOUSLY.

This is ridiculous. YES, I should have backed up ALL of my media, but my computer is slow enough as is, with its horrifically tiny amount of ram, and huge amounts of photography images. Don't feel like dumping gig videos, and waiting for them to upload, every single time I shoot a vid or pic.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    1) How the hell did you manage to brick two iPhones? I've owned every single model since the original Edge one, and that has only happened to me once, back in the dark days of iPhone OS 2.0.

2) You can choose exactly what to back up and what not to -- it's easy to skip videos, photos, etc. That said, keeping all that info on your iPhone without a back-up was a recipe for disaster. It may very well be Apple's fault that your phone got bricked, but you could have easily dropped it, lost it, dumped it in the toilet (like I did with my 3Gs), had it stolen, what have you. Getting mad at Apple borders on the pathological.

3) Transferring your save files from one phone to the next has worked for me every single time.

17. Thorbjorn

Thorbjorn Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Reiterating my post served as what purpose?

Good for you. I, too have owned every iphone, and dropped one in the toilet. And a mop bucket.

The 3GS was not mine, as I stated, so one would assume that I did not brick it. I didn't brick mine, either. It bricked itself. Actually, MARVEL comics app probably did it, since it went haywire on my phone.

Like I said, I, nor anyone updates every video and image, as soon as it is captured, so I don't see how those that were lost were completely my fault, in all reality.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Sorry to misread your post, but you can understand my confusion since you spoke about yourself in the third person in the first paragraph.

I back up my phone every day, since I use it every day, and often create things with it that are valuable both for personal and business reason. I back up my computer every day for the same reason. Technological devices fail; they can also be lost or destroyed. You can blame Apple of whatever flaw brought down your device in the first place (or for approving an app that managed to do that). Preserving your data, however, is your responsibility. There's just no way around that.

In any event, bricking your device, even while jailbreaking it, is a very rare thing. Having it crash and become corrupted -- to the point where you have to restore to factory settings -- is likely more common. That, however, is not "bricking" your phone.

19. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    If your not jailbroke, does the game still crash or lock ya up??

20. Roadblocked

Roadblocked Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    So Marvel bricked your phone, and you're mad at apple about the fact you do not back up your phone enough? I totally understand.