Creeps vs Fieldrunners

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wonderva, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Creeps vs Fieldrunners

1. The Creeps

32 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. Fieldrunners

59 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    ...which makes the game veeeery easy again.

2. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    #42 pante, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
    i wasn't huge fan ot td kind of games.
    the creeps! made me like them.

3. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I have most of the TD games in the appstore and my two favorites are The Creeps and Fieldrunners.

4. Alichan

Alichan Guest

Just getting back on my high horse;) I was just having a look at DTD (http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/Game.asp). I can see why it's so popular. Charming, and challenging with a lot of variety in the different modes of play it offers. If FR had half the amount of different challenges that DTD offer, the game would be eminently more playable.....IMHO:)

5. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Fair enough. I never meant to defend FR nor would I want to. I don't ever see them interacting with their fans that other TD devs have (Creeps, Besiegement, iTD guys), so I don't want to fill in for them. You win!

6. Alichan

Alichan Guest

Yes, the whole 'contact with the fans' thing through sites like this is just fantastic! It's so good to see so many devs such as yourself taking advantage of it. In all honesty, I wasn't really into gaming for years and years, until I coughed up for an iPod Touch. I always found it to be a bit of an unsociable activity that left me a bit cold, but now with communities like this I'm making up for lost time. Thanks again:)

7. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

To be fair, the Fieldrunners team has an entire forum dedicated to just their game with thousands of posts in it, including plenty of feedback from the team.

That's the way I want to handle my upcoming release, I will have a dedicated forum *but* I'll still visit other great ones such as toucharcade to make sure I can interact with people here too!

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I'll defend FR here then. I emailed my suggestions to the devs and got reply from him in 10 minutes. Another day I emailed him and he replied me in a few hours. He's fast to respond, always less than in one day.

Yesterday I just invited them to come to this forums, but they said they're very busy as they are a team of two and both have fulltime job. They are not as big as 7 Cities team (which is around 10 people? 5 times the size of FR team – cmiiw) or other teams.

That said, I still would love them to come here.

+ 1. Adding too much complexity would turn me away. It will no longer be fun to pickup and play.

The Creeps! made me love TD games too :)

9. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    I don't know where you got the idea we are a team of 10. We actually are a team of 5, but and all of us work full-time at other jobs. 3 of the artists aren't that involved in the team though. So its just me that takes care of PR and marketing, while Eclipse keeps the website, forum, and high scores functioning properly.

I can totally understand the FR guys being busy though.

10. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    #50 aleceiffel, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
    fieldrunners

i thought i would like the creeps more than fieldrunners when i started playing it but the truth is...the creeps is way too easy to beat and i dont find it to have any replay value, theres only so much you can do...fieldrunners allows you to create vastly different mazes and thus is more fun for me to replay...
    if the creeps had about 30 or 40 levels i might change my mind...but i doubt it.
    also, i HATE the accelerometer in the Creeps....forget playing on my commute...going from quietly sitting to bumping the person next to me as if im balancing a marble on my ipod....i wish games would use the accelerometer as function, not just because its available.

11. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Ok fine, here ya go... I voted Field Runners, Mainly because I play it more, More than The creeps, But if we're talking TD games there is only really one that I enjoy. FFCD FTW! :D

12. Alichan

Alichan Guest

#52 Alichan, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
    Well, Knight rightly pointed out earlier that FR is doing a good job at staying close to the style of Desktop Tower Defense, apparently a REALLY popular flash TD game for the PC. I am assuming that DTD is mostly catering for the casual gamer too, so I can't see what harm it would do to add a few of DTD's juicy challenges to FR in order to spice things up! I don't think it would send casual gamers running in the opposite direction. Quite the opposite in fact. FR is so stunning to look at, and has a nice strong foundation, but there just isn't enough to keep one from getting easily distracted. Some DTD's ideas are great, like only having a set amount of money to spend, or only being allowed to use 15 towers in any one round. Loads of things like that that add more flavour to the basic recipe. I suppose I get heated about FR because there is such potential there to be had...

But then again, all that ramble is just my opinion:)

13. fieldrunners_dev

fieldrunners_dev New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Fieldrunners dev here.

Comparing Fieldrunners to The Creeps, or even 7 Cities for that matter, is like comparing apples to oranges. We each have taken a different approach to the tower defense genre. The Creeps chose a more action-oriented style of gameplay through its use of accelerometer controls and targeting micro-management. With Fieldrunners, we chose to focus more on the strategy element but still give the player that freedom to be creative through freeform tower placement.

All of our time is spent interacting with our community on our own official forums at http://www.fieldrunners.com. With the amount of posts we receive on a daily basis and the flood of emails we receive, it keeps us pretty well occupied! :)

That could be said about nearly all of the games on the iPhone, as well as some of the greatest games in history. DTD was not an original idea itself, it was based off a Warcraft III mod.

There are 10 people listed in the credits for 7 Cities.

14. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Thanks for posting. I think it would be a smart idea to create a lite version for fieldrunners. Every other TD game has one.

15. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    That includes all the people that have helped out, as well as testers.

There are only 2 core people on our team that have been working from day 1 to now. All the others listed just helped out in the various roles during development.

It is good that you got such a highly active forum.

Anyway, this is all off topic. I recommend both games. As the FR dev here put it, each is good in its own way and it is really up to the individual to decide because of that.