Creeps vs Fieldrunners

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wonderva, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Creeps vs Fieldrunners

1. The Creeps

32 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. Fieldrunners

59 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    FieldRunners is for amateur rank or beyond TD genre player while The Creeps is for those who just started to get into TD genre.

It's both the same side on the coin if you ask me. Get The Creeps! if you are new to TD, otherwise get FieldRunners.

2. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    sorry was abit busy at work :)
    I voted for FR, as its really quite fun and light-hearted but with some strategy and alot of tinkering with the maze-building.
    I haven't got around to buying The Creeps yet, as I've been busy playing 7 Cities, which I think is very very good, better than FR too.
    However, its not on the poll so I couldn't vote for that.

Are only those who have both eligible for voting? If so, -1 vote on FR from me.

3. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    No don't do it! Just kidding but it really didn't do anything for me. Actually the only tower defense game that I've liked that is either free or has a lite version is The Creeps and bought it for $2.

4. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    I enjoy FieldRunners more for you can create your own path on FR, that for me is a bit more challenging then using a predetermined path.

5. riceman360

riceman360 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #25 riceman360, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
    the Creeps is way too easy. the strategy is: upgrade one gun to max. start destroying stuff. get money. buy and upgrade next gun to max. repeat. this will pretty much guarantee you'll pass every finite map on the first try. while Field Runners isn't as strategy-based as 7 Cities, it's waaaay more so than Creeps. for people voting for Creeps: do you enjoy how easy it is?

6. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    There's also TapDefense which is very decent for the low price of FREE.

7. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    For me, Fieldrunners is way more easy.
    And alot more boring....
    I don't want to spend 60% of the (long) session just watching the waves coming in.

8. Seiker

Seiker Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    7 Cities is no doubt the best IMO, no contest. However, between Creeps and Fieldrunners, I'd go Creeps. Fieldrunners is beautiful and has lots of sizzle but not much steak, I like the fact that they continue to upgrade the maps and towers but I still think it has a long way to go as far as depth of play. I think 7 Cities is the best iPhone game I've played...period...

9. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Wow... well that certainly made up for my crappy cold day. Thanks!

10. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I didn't like 7 cities too much. The fact that it is set path made it pretty boring for me. Plus I found I could beat the game (only on medium to be fair) simply by chaining obelisks to a single upgraded tower. P.s. Did the update change this?
    Creeps is cute, but the tilting is a novelty, the maps are set path, and I just didn't feel compelled to play it twice.
    Fieldrunners is the only one I played after beating it. Just to experiment with different mazes. The new map should take a while to beat on hard.
    Anyway, I just found the set path maps boring and repetitive, so my vote goes with fieldrunners.

11. Elysium

Elysium Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I agree with this, I beat every level on the first try. Very easy game if you know anything about TD games. If you have never played a TD game before, then you may find it challenging and probably more fun.

You would think, measuring all of The Creeps innovative features (accelerometer towers, hand targeting, object destruction), it's several levels, interesting design, nice graphics and sound, that it would come out ahead. But it just doesn't. The strategies are too obvious, the pathing too bland. The accelerometer towers end up just being a bailout for those who haven't planned well enough, "monsters getting through, eh, just blow them back to the start." I almost feel cheap using them. Plus it comes off as gimmicky and frankly a lot of times I don't want to be waving my phone around while playing a game.

Designing a TD game is like being on a razor's edge, you either get all the variables right or you don't. You can have "the whole package" of features, and still not come up with a game that is ultimately satisfying. Fieldrunners, despite having far less innovative features, has that "X" factor that makes you want to keep playing it. The Creeps doesn't.

12. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    same here, except for the fieldrunners/creeps part. I honestly couldnt care less about those two. They are both good games, yet both are extremely overrated, fieldrunners for lack of strategy, and i just found the creeps plain boring.

7 cities all the way! I think judging from the whole TD thread, that 7 cities is the best.

13. aerolord

aerolord Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2008
    When I first start playing a TD game, it was Desktop Tower Defense. I got hooked into that game, and I found out that Fieldrunners is the same concept and with better graphic. Which why make me prefer Fieldrunners over any TD game. I jusg like to build/experiment my own maze.

14. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Fieldrunners is the best, hands down. Especially with the new update it's really worth it.

15. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I found 7 cities far easier to beat than fieldrunners. Building a chain of obelisks that can hit anywhere on the map didn't exactly require deep strategic planning.

16. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    That was an unintended feature that has been since fixed. In the future update, the Obelisks might not even leech damage from nearby towers any more.

17. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    If this was before fieldrunners v1.2, I would've said the creeps is better, but now, FIELDRUNNERS!!! (I really like the flame tower:D)

18. Alichan

Alichan Guest

#38 Alichan, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
    But that is precisely what frustrates me about Fieldrunners. It HAS the elusive "x" factor, that perhaps the others don't, but then why don't they spice the game play up! Right now it's just far too bland an experience. I'm no dev, but I'm sure it can't be that difficult for them to add stuff like Fieldrunners being able to shoot at the towers, like in Circuit Defenders, or a more complex upgrade system, like in 7 Cities, instead of one click and your done. Or obstacles that get in the way of you building your planned maze. I agree that perhaps the tilt UFO in Creeps is a bit gimmicky, but at least they are trying stuff out. Seems simple enough to me. Nothing 'razor edge' about it. The game could be sooo good, but it isn't!

19. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    I'll give my 2 cents on this:

1. Fieldrunners' success is from its simplicity. Adding to it would only turn away casual gamers.

2. Complexity and balance in a strategy game is a pain in the ass. We had feedback from people that love 7 Cities, to people that hated it and sent emails saying so, regarding its strategy. I spent 2 hours of my commute time to work and back playing 7 Cities for 3-4 months every day trying to balance the game. Even still it isn't balanced as I would want it to be. Would I want to go through that again? Maybe, I'll let you know in a few months once I take a break from it.

3. Fieldrunners is an almost perfect clone of Desktop Tower Defense with prettier graphics. DTD is the most popular TD game in the world. It wouldn't be smart to change a formula that was worked so well.

20. Alichan

Alichan Guest

Ok, I concede;). I suppose it would be unwise to mess around with it too much having read your post. I suppose I just like a TD game to have a little more complexity. Hat's off to you for having the tenacity to keep on improving your already very good game:)