Creative ways to create 6+ screenshots?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Xammond, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    I need a method to create screenshots at any iOS resolution. I'm thinking perhaps create an offscreen FBO and save the rendered data.

My question, what do other developers do if their app is compatible with anything but they only have access to a fraction of the devices available? Guessing testers shouldn't be expected to have a creative eye, maybe just not state that it works on super-devices...would that pass review?

2. Idle Complexities

Idle Complexities Active Member

Dec 10, 2014
    We have had success using just the Simulator.

It is desperately slow of course for high res devices, at least with anything but the latest hardware. But if that makes it hard to get the a specific freeze frame at just the right moment, you can always set a breakpoint...

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I often just use preview mode in unity on a super hi res screen (you can even use unity remote to control it.

4. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    For sure I would do it all in the simulator. Only thing is my display is just 1366 pixels wide, and the biggest monitor I can find is like 1920...which is close but no good as I want 1:1 final pixels.

I use the Marmalade simulator, seems I can't create a window which is larger than the screen. Seems I must either render quarters of a decided shot, or patch in the FBO method.

Wow does everyone have giant displays!

5. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    We were planning to fake ours using the windows build by making a screenshot function that will export all the different screen ratios and sizes. Only headache with that would be any FBOs made to the screen ratio would need to be rebuilt a bunch of times. I guess I will cross that bridge when i get there.

6. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Yeah FBO is definitely the way. Plan here is to have a 4096x4096 texture and render various GL view ports one by one.

The annoying part is GL2 handles 2048x2048 so I have to fake my project to GL3, take the renders, then put it back to GL2 for it to be compatible with older devices...which I alone support ;)

7. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    FBO method worked out perfectly!

The 'desktop computer' ;) had no problem creating non-pot textures, which I just read back straight to png row buffers and saved ready to go.