Create Pirate Icon, Win iPod!! [Pirate's Gold]

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by GameLab, Jan 15, 2010.

1. minorpane

minorpane Well-Known Member

I think this would look better half buried in sand, not water. (Unless it is sand. Looks like water to me.)

They're all good though. I could never make anything like these.

2. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Good point, The Game Reaper, I could not associate this screenshot with his icon earlier.
    After all, he just did remake. There is nothing wrong in it, it was just an inspiration in my opinion.

3. chrisrushing

chrisrushing Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    I did not, but I thought the inspiration was obvious. and yes I definitely took the time and drew mine out. As a graphic designer by trade, keeping a consistent look is important to me. I thought the look would make an ideal icon. Regardless I came back and wanted to create another more original icon, which I have done so as well.

4. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia
    #224 OzzY, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
    Here is mine.
    The creature on screenshots with 7 tentacles (Heptapus???) is so funny so he must be on PG icon.

Attached Files:

• pg.png
      pg.png
      File size:
      337.8 KB
      Views:
  5. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI

thanks for that :)

Yeah, it's sand. I hate the fact that we have to post these so damn small, because you would be able to tell if it was a bit larger.
    If they like it, I could always make the sand a little browner too.

6. motitas

motitas Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    You don't wanna know
    well dylan I decided to completely redo my icon today thnx for the headsup!

7. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    I wanted to say that I re-created the 'Pirates Gold' logo from scratch. I even took the time to find the identical font, and I found it!
    I also re-created the skull from scratch (Their designs of course).

[​IMG]

I put all 8 logos on this page of the iPod touch.

[​IMG]

8. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    The most I like pictures 5 and 7. Reflection in the seventh one is wonderful. But shadow behind skull-ball needs to be deleted: it looks like water is hard and skull is placed inside whole in the water.
    Did You use Photoshop, Corel?

9. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia
    *crying*
    No one wants to comment mine?

10. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Didn't You just cut it off the screenshot? I guess You did.
    GameLab requires participing designs to be made from the very beginning, works based, moreover, CUT OFF their screenshot will earn worse notes obviously.
    I am sorry.

11. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia
    I needed to use something for reference. I didn't "just CUT OFF" screenshot, I just used it as a reference and drew it from the begining. If you watch closely screenshots are 480x320 and part shown on my picture is about 30% of screenshot. My icon is 496x495.

12. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

so far, i think chriscrushing's skull icon was the best. it was simple and coherent and looked very good on an iphone/ipod touch

13. minorpane

minorpane Well-Known Member

Oops :eek:

Yeah, I think it would look better if the sand was a sort of brown/yellow.

14. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Yes, I noticed it just after publishing that post. I am sorry.
    But, to be honest, octopus on Your icon looks really like cut from the screenshot. Don't understand it negative, please.
    And sorry, I made a grammar error: there should be CUT FROM, instead of CUT OFF.

15. ziotoo4

ziotoo4 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    No, he didn't. Take a closer look: just because it's a circle and a skull it doesn't mean it's the exact same circled skull. It needed some adjustments, and he really did it well. So, please, don't accuse freely ;)

Exactly. Doing a recognizable icon doesn't mean copying-everyone should keep this in mind. Otherwise, almost every icon in this thread is "copied".

I love it! Great work-although if you still have the levels open in PS, i would make the coin and the grabbing tentacle bigger. You have to keep in mind, that the icon must be recognizable in a 100x100 pixel resolution: like it is now, the coin will probably be just 10x10 pixels. Not good ;) the skull on the coin is going to give it a blurred look-that's the same reason that brought me to remove the map signs (marks and footsteps) from my own icon ;)

Hmmm...not sure about this one. If you copy the logo at the very same resolution, no one can tell if it's just a copy-paste or a whole redesign.
    Also, Apple's icon guidelines say that you must avoid text on icons ;)

p.s. next time you're looking for a font from an image, use www.whatthefont.com ;) there's also a free iphone app!

Fede

16. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia
    #236 OzzY, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
    100x100??? iPhone icon resolution is 57x57 actually.
    I know that coin looks small and blurry on springboard, but making it bigger "heptapus" will look small - like a spider. I'll try to figure something out.
    Here is how it looks on springboard.

@Jarek: Main reason I used screenshot for a reference is that I'm not a graphic designer and my Photoshop knowledge isn't perfect so I can draw/design icon from very beginning.

EDIT: Added "grown coin" on screenshot.

P.S. All screenshots are taken from iPod, and they are NOT Photoshoped like some on this thread (no offense), so this IS how icon will look on springboard.

Attached Files:

• img.PNG
      img.PNG
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
  17. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    I got Your point because I don't have such skills either. And i have to admit, that in lower resolution, on virtual springboard Your icon looks good. We can compare it with ziotoo4's icon:

[​IMG]

18. ziotoo4

ziotoo4 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    It is on the springboard-but the image provided in the .app package is 100x100-auto resized from the Iphone OS ;)

Obviously i like the second one more, great work!

Fede

19. Olo

Olo New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    "And now something completely different..." ;)

Hope you like it. I've done the whole icon by myself, but a bit inspired from pictures found on the internet. I've got also the .psd file with all necessary and adjustable layers.

Attached Files:

20. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia