iPad Crazy reviewers;)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by aghartastudio, Dec 4, 2008.

1. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    Look at that:)

"Argh!! I actually had to break my iPhone in frustration of this B*"£$Y game so it will be the last application I ever bought on App Store. Great graphics and sounds but TOTAL absents of user interface testing. I tested this on a couple of hard core adventure gamers who beat me afterwards up for even exposing them to this monstrosity.
    My time is drained away from slow error msg for things that I should not have done. At the same time as I am totally in the dark of what the "game designer" wants me to do. I so want to hit the developers behind this now, not only have they wasted my precious time but them also have my MONEY. I cannot believe I am actually been a part of encourage them to make more of this! If you developers read this please quite your jobs at once!! It is like you have extracted all the worst things with the Lucasarts games and compiled it with beautiful graphics in order to spite other humans. WHAT ARE YOU an evil cult of sadists of a mission to annoy??"

Looks like someone needs to learn patience and do some anger control session!

It's a shame we can't react nor answer the people behind reviews on the appstore!

did all of you devs had similars experiences?

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I'm not a dev, but I've seen lots of stupid review(er)s like that on several different games.

I think it's funny and annoying at the same time, lol. :)

3. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I think you can always write something in the game description, such as what is coming in the next update. That may calm down some users.

4. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    The worst thing out of this , is that reviews are actually one of our most usefull tool for advertising.. it doesn't do much on large store like US or UK but on smaller one where there are only a very few reviews available it can simply kill sales; (this was taken from the swedish store) thanks to Moopf utility

5. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Yes.

There are some users in Germany who consider SPiN to be a game for children, and that it isn't difficult enough. This was reason enough to give the game a 1-star review.

I suspect they didn't really play the game to find out that it's essentially a reaction speed challenge that starts out at a casual difficulty :)

6. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Personally, I don't listen to those junk reviews. What I look for while reading reviews is:
    - Replay value
    - Originality
    - Controls
    - If the game is fun
    - I want to know if the game is high quality/professional looking
    - Any bugs the game might have

I don't think many people really listen to reviews that sound like that... It might stop one or two people from buying at the most, but the good reviews make up for that obviously

7. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    yeah :) I see what you mean, anyway the more feature there is the more complain!

I frequently saw some "It's too short I finished it in 20 min "(Of course don't use a walkthrough...)
    and juste after '"Damn this game is too hard I spend 2 night on it I can't find a way to blah blah"

8. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Yeah, I'm gonna edit my review and maybe that will help. I think I just wrote "hi it's me istopmotion" or something.

By the way, I'm still playing the game (haven't finished), but I've spent 2 hours on it so far - I don't think I'm even halfway through yet :)

9. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    Just take your time playing it, there are tons of stuff to read everywhere and hidden funnies.. no need to rush ;)

10. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Not a dev either and have found most reviews in the app store(either positive or negative) as really just a waste of time and space. If they don't provide specifics as to what's good or specifics about what's bad, it's a useless review.
    I would hope that most people trust review sites more than the average user, but something tells me it's not the case.
    When you have iHunt as a top app for so long and it's such plain garbage, you know there's a problem with our population.

A good 5 star review of "WOW, it's great, buy it" doesnt' tell me anything
    A poor 1 star review of "This game sucks, too expensive, waste of time" doesn't tell me much either.
    I need details and I'll make up my own mind...crazy, I know....

But I can appreciate your concern...

11. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    haha, I didn't write it, I swear.:D

12. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    We've been luck enough to get great reviews for iTD... I think reviewers in the US seem a little nicer as our averages for US is higher, but we've gotten way more reviews from the US.

It would suck though to see a 1 star review just dissing with no explanation when the average review is almost 5.0.

13. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Reviews can be pretty funny. In my experience, you are absolutely guaranteed to get ALL of the following reviews:

1. Too easy (didn't play the hard level)
    2. Too hard (didn't play the easy level)
    3. Too expensive (but then... why did you buy it?)

My personal favorite bad review we got was one where Word Squares got slammed for not being Sudoku. Because there isn't enough Sudoku in the store, apparently. Can't please everyone :)

14. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Some of my useless reviews:

"I haven't played it yet but.... This thing takes FOREVER to download. I don't got all day to sit around and wait for an app to download."

"I wrote this with my nose".

"HALO IS GAY"

"Dont buy. Developer is writing his own reviews. BAD GAME. Do not buy"

"I got this game and it just crashed my IPOD. I GOT VERY MAD. hAD TO SEND IT BACK TO APPLE AND GET IT FIXED. EVERYONE WHO GIVES IT A 5 START REVIEW IS A FAKE REVIEW"

"This is really...HARD. That's what she said..."

15. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Astonishingly enough all of these reviews were written by EDNG.
    :D:D:D

16. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I'm not a dev, but can see just how frustrating that sort of review must be. Unfortunately, these stupid reviews aren't limited to the app store either. Have a look at the UK TV shows or Movies section of iTunes and all you find is "reviews" complaining about price or Apple being a rip-off merchant! It really is something that Apple should try and fix. I think the "purchase before you review" policy helps a bit, but more's needed. I'm really fed up of reading 10 useless reviews just to find 1 decent 1 - thats why i come here instead! :cool:

17. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    An Idea

Developers should reference forums sites such as 'Touch Arcade' so those looking to learn more about the game can come here or sites like this for more information on the game and better reviews.

Purchases/Gamers- This especially go for us who participate in these discussions and threads. We need to put our reviews up on the iTunes Store and vote for the reviews that are most helpful. A lot of times I see people have purchased the game and than go on about how great it is and I look on the iTunes store and there are no reviews on it?

I also notice how there is talk about how awesome a game is and then on in the store reviews there is talk about how crappy it is or vice versa.

We need to speak out and help our developers and one another!

18. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be great if iTunes descriptions supported hyperlinks. YouTube-clips, review sites...

19. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I really like reviewers that give you a crappy score then say "if you add X or Y I'll add more stars!" yet they never come back even if the next update does exactly what they asked. Or worse, the version they bought already had that feature :rolleyes:

20. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    wow...just wow