Universal Crazy Kings (by Mantis Shrimp)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 1, 2015.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #81 ste86uk, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    If I'm honest I'm still playing this occasionally and still really like the game. But what makes me play less is the difficulty, I'm either just terrible at it or using the wrong tactics but it seems so so hard on some levels to get 3 stars.

I always scout to see what resistances there are but I hate just passing a level with 1-2 stars or your on a final wave and 1 enemy squeezes through and you lose your third star. The game in general just feels pretty tough.

Edit: Also I'm working through the slimes but not on their boss yet but haven't beat the undead boss. Very nearly had him dead but not quite....nobody else gets through but can't seem to stop him even with slowdown everywhere and also using sniper towers for him. Any tips?

2. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    For the undead boss I used a fully upgraded lightning tower backed up by my two best heroes. Along with a couple of revives per hero. Reviving your heroes was key for me, as you need to hold off the boss long enough for the lightning tower to do it's thing.

But you're definitely right about the difficulty, and just wait until you reach the bird levels. They make the undead levels seem easy. If the game had a larger file size I'd probably have rage-deleted by now.

3. Uchti

Uchti Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    To be honest, I really like the hard difficulty. It's good to have a challenging game like this for a change. I think you just have to live with the fact that you will not get more than 1 or 2 stars in a map and have to come back later with better towers to 3 star it!
    And yes, the difficulty ramps up so much with these nasty birds...

Undead King was the first time I actually received my heroes with crystals! It just feels necessary to do it. Used lighting tower + revives as well. Got up to the cost of 8 for revive...

There is so much stuff to do in this game and so many paths to open up later with crowns/time/stars as well as new cards to find, can't believe this game is free to play!
    Just the tournament as only way to compare/interact with others feels kinda lame...

4. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I did try with some revives but I'll try bringing in extra heroes this time. My crossbow towers usually hold the horde back so I'm sure I can spare some space.

I agree on the multiplayer tournament bit, those maps are so hard too! I wish they were more manageable and waved just kept getting harder and harder as opposed to lasting around 1-2min or less. Kind of like an endless mode but seeing who can last longer and in competition.

5. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Just beat it very easily using all the same things I was pretty much but my strongest hero also and the freeze spell which is awsome for strong monsters like that undead boss.

One thing for the Dev though I play on iPhone and the images when upgrading cards don't fully display, often the bottom is cut off by the cards across the bottom so I can't always see everything I'm getting. Also unless I'm missing something I'd like it to be made more clear when a card is getting a new ability or upgraded level of an ability. Would make it all feel more special also.

6. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I'm the same.... Both the birds levels and the slime levels I'm just really really struggling with. Think I'm on about no 4 on each of them and I'm at the point of giving up. Seems more to do with lack of starting cash than anything else

7. Uchti

Uchti Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014

Nah, really wouldn't say that.
    I bought a card pack and the 2nd offer. But I don't remember getting anything that would really matter out of them. The gems? I got 750 from the 2nd pack and I am at 1350 now -.- I just use them so rarely. Most of my equipment I just got after that from quests/daily chest I think. And I still use all the standard towers (mage+the bomb one or bolas for birds) nothing fancy there, I don't even have this crossbow tower someone mentioned before. I think key is the micro management of your Heroes. To decide which enemy to block an next to which tower and maybe even switching between enemys to slow them both down. Bolas and lightning is the only thing I use for birds together with pretty much all heroes. Make sure you retreat them when archers/spear throwers come so that towers take out most of them before they injure your heroes. I personally think it has nothing to do with money, just a bit maybe when it comes to bosses since reviving seems to be necessary.

Oh and sometimes deliberately running your heroes into enemies to kill them so they revive full health for the next round works too (=

8. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I'm still thinking this is just stupidly hard and often seeming to be not enough startup cash to handle the first wave with these bird levels no matter what setup I try.

Haven't even tried the slimes in a while either

9. JASONBLACK

JASONBLACK Member

May 28, 2015
    Little tip for u bro hope it helps
    "In bird stages - start with bola tower u will have enough starting mana to place all 4 of them...place them somewhat in the middle where you have choke points behind them as soon as u get enough mana Place sniper towers all 3, 1 by 1 then throw in your second nd third hero to help block.. then start placing lightning towers in the starting slots and make them hit multiple targets, then increase bola damage and stun all in that sequence in the end with the leftover mana upgrade snipers... There that should help you going i m succesfully using this pattern to get 3 stars in almost all bird stages.

10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Thanks for the reply but just one question, what's the bola tower?

11. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    It's the substitute for the archer and holy towers on the bird levels. And you can't win the bird levels without them. Speaking of which, I finally beat all the bird and blob levels, bosses included, and just reached the bird tower. (Crown levels) Those levels are a a pain in the butt, but doable with the correct strategies. What works with one set of enemies, doesn't with a different set. That includes heroes, towers, and special abilities.

And I do find the game fairly balanced. I've only spent $3 on IAP, and it really had a minor (if any) impact on my progression. The fact that there are no consumable power-ups (like a "clear all" bomb), and that each level must be won on the strength of your cards alone, keeps the game from ever feeling too impossible.

12. JASONBLACK

JASONBLACK Member

May 28, 2015
    Bolas tower is very important for bird stages... U wil get 1 when u win the 3rd or the 4th stage of birds

Attached Files:

13. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Co-founder / Game Developer
    Finland
    (dev here)

Yeah, the Bolas tower is important and always replay those levels where you get 2 stars, as often the 3rd star has a fixed reward that you'll need (The rewards are mostly random, but sometimes they are set to give the player some needed cards).

Hmm, yeah so Tournaments is hard and endless, and meant to be hard, we ramp up the difficulty quickly so players with good cards don't need to play through a boring beginning all the time.

Hey, thanks for pointing that out, we'll get that fixed in the next update! We had one problem on the iPhone6+ that's been fixed with the latest update.

14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Oo I need to get that tower then! Stupid birds....and slimes....

15. JASONBLACK

JASONBLACK Member

May 28, 2015
    Anyone beat the slime boss yet??
    I have tried couple of strategies but in vein... Any suggestions/strategies on him would be gr8..

16. TraderJack

TraderJack Active Member

Jul 4, 2014
    #96 TraderJack, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    I got three stars using aoe tower (poison, mortar, pirates, volcano) plus slow and lightning and sniper tower. For magic, i used freezing, dragon and comet.
    My strategy was keep upgrading AOE tower. When the boss come, try kiting him with your hero to buy time until you clear all other slimes, and upgrade your sniper for a finishing touch against the boss(i also revived my hero using gem for like 3 times). It was tough, but feel pretty good when i beat this level :p
    Edit: i forgot another important point, you should kill their healer ASAP, everytime they enter the map, using hero and comets.

17. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I did it using pirates, lightning and snipers with magic the freeze spell and meteor.

I had to revive my hero a few times during the final round but given how much I'd struggled through the previous slime missions I found the boss really easy and 3 starred it on my first go.

18. JASONBLACK

JASONBLACK Member

May 28, 2015
    Thanks for help guys
    I beat the shit out of that slime boss this time...3 stars:)

19. JASONBLACK

JASONBLACK Member

May 28, 2015
    Hey bro,
    Did u beat that level i m also on it now..
    It is damn difficult so far i have cleared all levels with 3 star, but this one is a pain in the ass...any tips anyone???

20. JASONBLACK

JASONBLACK Member

May 28, 2015
    Hey bro,
    Did u beat that level i m also on it now..
    It is damn difficult so far i have cleared all levels with 3 star, but this one is a pain in the ass...any tips anyone???
    (Sorry for double post)