Universal Crazy Kings (by Mantis Shrimp)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 1, 2015.

1. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Definitely a solid game, really enjoying it so far. I've played about 15 levels so far and the f2p elements haven't gotten in the way at all. Gameplay is really solid - the comparison to Kingdom Rush is accurate, though I'm a sucker for a the collectible card aspect and having to make hard choices about what cards you take into battle (it's a bit like Plants vs Zombies in that sense).

The tutorial (showing you help tips/concepts over a period of time) is remarkably well done and clean. It does a good job of easing you into the different systems without being annoying. The production values throughout are great throughout with a nice graphical style and lots of 'pop'.

I'm super cynical about most f2p games I play, but this one is absolutely worth a look.

2. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Co-founder / Game Developer
    Finland
    Yay - thanks for supporting us! Not sure if we'll add an option to remove the energy system, but everything is possible, we'll look into some options in the coming weeks

Thanks! We're big fans of both KR and PvZ, so those games have definitely inspired us. We've been polishing the tutorial for a really long time, it is really tricky to teach all the basic concepts without annoying those who kinda get it from the get-go.

3. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Very well done game indeed. I'll be hanging onto this for a while.

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Either I'm just terrible at it or it's getting harder but some levels are pretty tough to 3 star now and I hate getting less than 3.

Although I feel it's a bit unforgiving to make you lose the 3 star for 29 lives out of 30 left, usually these games have a very slight cushion don't they?

5. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Looks great! I'd wish I could play this, but f2p... no can do. Make it full-unlock and you have a buyer here.

6. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Which level are you at?

7. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    While I'm not necessarily finding it too hard I completely Agree that losing one life and getting 2 stars is slightly unfair......

8. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you completely but I would in all honesty say that if you're only going to try one F2P game a year make it this one.

Although I would still rather it was a premium paid game and I think it's a sad reflection on the state of iOS gaming that this is best way for the Devs to make money from it.

9. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Maybe I'm not far enough yet but what're the crystals used for other than speeding up progress? Is the only way to buy new card packs through the 4.99 purchase

10. DukeTBone

DukeTBone Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    #50 DukeTBone, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Great game, one suggestion - tower visual upgrades

Excellent game. I already spent some money on card packs and crystals to support the devs.
    ONE MAJOR SUGGESTION. TOWER VISUAL UPGRADES.
    Right now, the towers don't change when you upgrade them. It's just a damage or range upgrade.

Many other tower defense titles (e.g. kingdom rush and crystal siege) have towers change in appearance as you level them up. Kingdom Rush also lets you commit to one of two end-paths for the towers. I strongly recommend you do something like this.

So, please add tower visual upgrades.

11. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'd also like the option to sell towers.

Anyway what tactics do you all mainly use? Like I said I was doing good but now I'm just terrible all of a sudden. Do you fill up the tower spots before you start upgrading or place just a few and upgrade them?

I use to mainly try to find one focus point where I could place and upgrade towers in an AoE choke which worked for a while but seems to not work much anymore.

12. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Finland
    Hey! You know, we're working on exactly this. We started of doing it so that levels change appearance when you upgrade the cards, but we've come to the conclusion that changing the look when upgrading the towers make more sense. As it is now you'll notice the difference when upgrading the card, then you'll forget about it, so doing it per upgrade makes more sense. Also upgrading the cards, unlock new upgrades (and level of upgrades) so you'll still get to see some new cool visuals when upgrading cards.

13. manga

manga Member

May 2, 2014
    i would like to hear some strategy tips, i am having a hard time here, no matter which one of my strategies i use.
    i used to do the same stuff ste86 did, but it does not work anymore, guess i have to grind for better stuff before i can advance

14. Mephala

Mephala Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Love this game and bought the starter pack to support the dev.

Ditto on the timers. Please give us an option to remove it.

If not, let it stack. As it is, I can only play 5 games before I have to stop and wait for the timer to fill again.

Awesome loot, by the way! :D

15. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    anyone hitting any paywalls in respect to not being strong enough to advance? I played through the first half dozen levels and really like the game.

16. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    This is definitely one of the better free-to-play games around; a solid TD game, with fairly measured timers, and generous loot. I just bought a starter pack ($3) to show my support, and to say thank you for the 5+ hours I've gotten out of this game so far, without any paywalls to speak of. There also seems to be a ton of content, it feels like I've barely scratched the surface.

17. TraderJack

TraderJack Active Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I just finished the undead island, and didnt sense any paywall. Sure, you have to grind for new cards a bit to get 3 stars on all stage, but probably not a big bad paywall like in other freemium games, waiting time to upgrade the card starting to get a little slow, though. BTW, you need to choose and position your tower very well since you cant sell it, and be proactive if you're using a lot of heroes, otherwise you will have a hard time. I never have problem with energy. For each session, i have 1hour or more playtime(3tickets+5games), not including regular energy drop from new stage, and that's enough for me.

PS : i swear this game has too much contents (100 floor tower, i'll be damn XD)

18. hanklupo

hanklupo Active Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Thats not even what a paywall is anyway, so your attempt to answer that question, while admirable, wasn't needed.

I swear, people on this site have no idea what paywall even means, and its the same people asking if one exists over and over.

19. TraderJack

TraderJack Active Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Then clarify me, what does "paywall" really meant in your definition?

20. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Finland
    #60 Nixarn, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    So typically you can play more than just to consume the 5 energy, many levels award energy back and also you get arena tickets that don't consume energy and same goes for the tournament. Great you like the loot =) we're adding a bunch of cool new cards in the next update!

We went back and forth on the selling of towers and gotta say we do prefer not having the selling option. There're two reasons for this really, first of, if you accidentally sell a tower (maybe tap wrong in an intense battle), then it's super frustrating. But really a bigger reason that we all hated that in most TDs when the last wave arrives, if you want to play optimally (who doesn't!?) then when the last enemy has walked past the first tower, then you should sell it and build/upgrade towers near the exit.

Yay, so glad to hear you've played it 5h already and feel you've barely scratched the surface! This was exactly what we wanted for the game, so many TD's have 10-20 levels, you finish it in one evening if you're active and then the fun stops. CK is pretty big already and it will keep getting bigger and better over the coming months!

Again: Yay! And yeah, we don't have any "pay wall", levels do get gradually harder though, but typically a hard level can be beaten by a better strategy. So if there's a hard level, you can try to find the most optimal strategy or grind better cards.