Universal Crashlands (by Butterscotch Shenanigans) - TA GotY 2016

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I just finished the game yesterday - first time I've finished an iOS game since Bastion. Really appreciate the effort by the devs and look forward to their next effort.

2. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    You can definitely use the magnets.

3. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    u should try transistor is awesome

4. Bombiscuit01

Bombiscuit01 Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Where do u get the physics research

5. twispby

twispby Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Googling tell some from killing Lyffs, but I can't confirm. I'm looking for it too.

6. Aerys

Aerys Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    #1526 Aerys, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    Ok, finnished Savanna and went to Bawg. How do I get back? I left everyrhing in Savanna, thought I colud go back but now I don't know how. I tried using the portal from which I came but after the loading screen I end up at the same spot (Bawg). Is there another portal to be found to go back to Savanna?

OK, I figured it out. I just thought I am not in Savanna because of the Bawg stuff on the floor. And I decided for two bases in case I need the original base and beacuse resources aren't scarce.

7. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Aerys, I keep one of each crafting station with me, and one of each at home. Plus, plenty of floor boards in case of whatever. You're right - after a while you usually have plenty of resources and can duplicate most anything.

8. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I really hope these guys are making some cash, because they sure deserve it. Great game!

9. smiley_u

smiley_u Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Does the emperor have no cloths or is just me?

Ok - first of all I'm a big BS fan (especially Flop Rocket - finished it twice on two different phones just to unlock the perk in Crashlands).

I've spent about 15 hours so far with Crashlands and just made it to Bawg. It is very obvious that a lot of love and effort have gone into this game. It has great polish, good characters, interesting dialogues and environments.

However, in its core, the gameplay is very straight forward and repetitive. I intentionally picked the one-less-than-highest-difficulty to provide a challenge, but the game to me looks like an endless cycle of "going from one crafting station to the next while avoiding red circles on the ground". The combat has only one dimension (avoid red circles on the ground) and crafting has no incentives other than "you have to build your next weapon to farm that next monster to make that next station to build your next weapon".

I will probably chug along and finish this game just because I'm a big fan. If this is what all crafting games are like, then I understand, it's just not my type. But I expected much more from the "RPG" aspect of this game which I just didn't get. I can't even imagine having to do exactly what I just did for Savannah for Bawg and Tundra as well. Seeing as how many positive ratings and review this game has, I am left wondering - does the emperor have no cloths or is it just me...

10. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    We all have different tastes and that's okay. Maybe the game is just not for you.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yep.

12. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I've only just noticed that each environment is randomly generated, except for the locations of the main locations. I guess that's where the "Unpacking Biome... Placing Outposts" comes in. It doesn't appear to be entirely random though: there seem to be some minor landmarks which are reused, but not in the same place each time.

13. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Feels like this is more of an existential question... Is there any point to playing any game? You just move sprites from here to there, avoiding getting hit, etc.

My advice? Don't overanalyse it. If Crashlands isn't flicking your switch, stop playing. Don't force yourself to carry on. Go read a book, talk to your loved ones, go out with your friends.

Then come back and give Crashlands another go. Because it's bloody brilliant! But you are definitely entitled to your opinion, of course.

14. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think Crashlands is an amazing and unique (not just in the way nearly any phenomenon can be argued to be by the injudicious application of sly semantics, but truly like no other computer game) product.

But I understand the new clothes argument. Broken out of their greater context, both creature combat and the crafting mechanics will quickly grow repetitive and predictable.

So don't break them out. Play the game for the greater experience of meshing these tangible gameplay elements with an atmosphere and narrative that resembles very little else in the history of fiction and world-building. And to touch upon a product made with a passion and love I think might be rare even among passionate game developers.

And perhaps don't play the game too often or for too long each session. At least if yer like me. While most games wear down my patience quickly, Crashlands in particular is the kind of game I'd rather enjoy infrequently over the course of 4 years rather than in a few mammoth sessions over three weeks.

Why exhaust yourself, when you can instead make the madness last? ;)

15. Zamoofaboo

Zamoofaboo Active Member

Dec 11, 2015
    So f*cking sick of getting one-hit-KO'd by every damn thing. Yes, everything, even yellow-named monsters. What in the world is there even HP in this game if you die in one hit from everything? You might as well just make it like Super Mario where the moment you touch anything you go bye-bye. I'm in the tundra equipped with the best possible set of gear, getting one-hit-KO'd by tiny snails. I'm guessing either the snails weigh 900 tons or the armour I'm wearing is made of paper.

Seems weapon is the only piece of gear worth crafting at all, and maybe boots if you're lucky enough to get a 5% speed boost. All armour pieces do jack sh*t from what I've seen.

16. Mullet_Mcgee

Mullet_Mcgee Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Puppy
    Sand Zone
    Could somebody explain how I'm supposed to use the fishing pole? I've already crafted one and have it equipped, but can't fish. I've walked up to several patches of water and tapped on them, but nothing happens. What am I missing? I don't even remember any in-game explanation on how to use it, and I'm at a part of the game where I can't progress without fishing...

17. Make sure you're close to the fishing hole. If you're too far away, it won't work. But if you're close to it, just tapping on it should start the fishing.

18. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    You have to use it in the circular ripples, not just anywhere in water.

19. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    What difficulty you're playing? I've never get one shotted at normal difficulty.. on insane, that's is expected, right?

20. Mullet_Mcgee

Mullet_Mcgee Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Puppy
    Sand Zone
    Thanks for the info, I didn't even notice those!