Universal Crashlands (by Butterscotch Shenanigans) - TA GotY 2016

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 21, 2016.

1. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Is Burl a reference to how we experience cancer? Just curious.

2. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I am possibly just an idiot (no comments please) but I need to reset the game. I totally butter-botched the intro and want to restart. Does anyone know how?

3. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    This was an instabuy this morning just because of the dev and his story. Looking forward to playing it tonight though -- the gameplay looks super fun!

I hope he has a really successful release.

4. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    Wow, this game is super awesome. As a fellow indie dev I am supposed to be working, but I have spent FOUR HOURS out of the last nine playing Crashlands!

In that time I have (don't worry, no storyline spoilers here!!):

* Built a house
    * 'Embiggened' Wumpus, my pet Wompit who's now pretty bad-ass
    * Discovered (and then crafted!) a super-rare weapon and found one treasure chest
    * Found 12 teleporters
    * Learned 66 crafting recipes
    * Got Lv 5 armour a.k.a. 'Charmour' I think? ^^
    * Deconstructed 893 resources
    * Deconstructed 213 creatures
    * Completed about 50 quests
    * Died 18 times and made a little graveyard to celebrate
    * Only explored a TIIIIIINY fraction of a per cent of the map and Have not yet found any other biomes! (maybe these are revealed only via the Story progressing? Not sure

LOVE how it takes away the pressing anxiety of Don't Starve, which put me off that game a bit, and how everything you do equip changes your appearance. Also love the rarity system when crafting weapons and armour - that's gonna get so compulsive.

I hope the devs read this, because I want them to know how great I think this game is - although they should know already. It's got everything I like!! ^^

I've also bigged the game up on Twitter, where you can follow me: @ev4nac

Great game guys - anyone on the fence should probably just get this game right now... ;D

5. PaleTunaPls

PaleTunaPls Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Does the game have a lot of weapon and armor variety like Terraria?

6. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    the problem with don't starve is that the constant trying to not starve made the game so stressful. The crafting was also kinda hard to get into. There isn't a lot of hand holding there, that's for sure. Crashlands is much easier to get into and just more all around fun to play. The design and humor, the storyline. This is just an epic game and I think it's totally reinvented the crafting/world exploring genre. No game can ever top this.

7. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Also bought this morning off the back of Shaun-the-almighty's review.
    It is truly epic this game. I mean, we are talking GOTY material.
    Have died a few times but the sense of achievement you get when crafting and completing quests, it's not like anything else Ive played before. And the music is sublime......
    TIP:-
    For those worried about health, when you craft your first pieces of wooden armour, some of them allow hp regen and even vampiric effects.
    Ok, enough talk, back to the game.

8. Bi88les

Bi88les Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Bloody brill! Just played an hour on my iPhone5 and am def. double-dipping for my PC too! Guys what a great game!

9. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    That first cut-scene where Flux is falling from the ship has Space Oddity going through my brain. Sigh.

10. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Yes like terraria and junk jack x in that department. This game is just straight up incredible. I can't wait to get home so I can play more at work now but reading this forum on my smoke breaks to get tips for later :)

11. GreenAlex96

GreenAlex96 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2014
    IOS vs pic version? Is there a particular reason that it costs $10 more on steam? Or is it just because they can? Looks like a great game, hoping to get it here soon.

12. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Guys how do I do the whole butter up thing? Looked for it in-game real quick and didn't see anything. Want to throw some more money at these guys! I already have towelfight, quadropous rampage, and flop rocket. Do I need those games installed on device for it to work? Thanks!

13. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Just fantastic. Shaun's review is spot on. Really enjoying all aspects of this game. Graphics, gameplay, sound, UI. Price is a gift, worth much more IMO.

14. kidd546

kidd546 Active Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Would love to hear if anyone has tried it on an Ipad 2 and can confirm it works- really looking forward to this game, would be very disappointed to have compatibility issues!

15. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom

I have an iPad mini 1st gen running iOS9. If anyone could confirm how/if the game runs on theirs I'd really appreciate it!

16. Ann0ying

Ann0ying Well-Known Member

Someone on toucharcade need to write a guide.
    A guide how to stop playing this game. It's so addictive.

17. Airpegy

Airpegy Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Insta buy l been more than 9 month i wait for ths.
    Now i grab popcorn

18. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Well you kinda have to drain your battery, then you can savely put it away. This also counts for other devices if you have some more.

Okay, just joking, grab the charger and continue!

19. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I'm the one with the 4S. It works fine on my phone. I'm jailbroken and have iOS 7.1.2. I don't have many memory-intensive tweaks (no Winterboard nor similar), but I'm pretty sure that Activator, InfiniFolders, icon shrinker (to put more rows, etc.) and several other tweaks I have, consume more memory than that consumed in a non-JB device.

AFAIK, iPad 2 has the same specs memory and CPU-wise as the 4S. All I've stated before, along with the fact that BS confirmed a few pages before that they got it running on an iPod with just a few slowdowns here and there, specially when night falls, but no more issues, makes me believe it would run quite flawlessly on an iPad 2.

In the options section, there is a button for something like a high-quality shader or similar, and on my 4S it was set to off by default. I never tried to change that obviously, I know the device's limitations and I'm VERY happy that Crashlands plays very well on my device. I'm going to play a bit now as soon as I finish writing this, so hopefully in a few hours I'll be able to post more impression after a longer play session than this morning's 15-minute session while having breakfast. But in any case, with all the evidence here I'd take the risk.

20. HippoHumper

HippoHumper Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Thanks so much for the response! This is exactly what I wanted to hear so I'm super excited. I did wanna just jump right into Crashlands but I also know at some point I'll wanna go back and play the others as well so it's good to know I'm not totally barred from access to those side quests should I play them after the fact. Now I just gotta wait another 6 hours till I'm off work so I can actually start playing. Thanks again!