Universal Crashlands (by Butterscotch Shenanigans) - TA GotY 2016

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 21, 2016.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    My iPhone4S went from 100% to 83% in 15 minutes. My 3-year old battery is dreadful already though...

2. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    Omg got a Legendary hydrablade hahaha

3. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Here's a question - as someone who disliked Don't Starve and found it to be completely pointless and boring - would I enjoy Crashlands?

4. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Depends on what you find boring. There is world exploring here too.

5. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Honestly, you might not :/

6. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Yeah it's hard to say cuz this is way better than dont starve on one hand but it depends on what you hated about don't starve cuz I personally didn't like it from the go and crashlands I enjoy much more. It's better in every way.

7. Killerluffy246

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    Eventhough it says legendary, but I am not feeling legendary at all lol ... Anyway great game, really love the artwork of this, my very first game from this developer. :D

8. Killerluffy246

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    Yeap thats exactly what I thought, but I bought it and its a lot better than dont starve. You die but you still have ur stuff , you can teleport , you can keep your weapon and it wont wear out.
    And most of all the texture looks a lot better than it.

9. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #90 GiHubb, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    I'll add a bit more why I didn't like Don't Starve - it had no story, or hook, to lead me along. I do like a narrative in a game. I want to know what I'm aiming for, to have a clear goal. I heard you could stumble into a kind of a story in Don't Starve, but they lost me with the initial wondering about without much purpose (as it seemed). And I'm also no big fan of backtracking, going back and forth to the same area. So - would I still enjoy Crashlands?

10. libtroll

libtroll Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Don't Starve was short lived on my device as well. However, I'm not hesitating to buy this. Crashlands looks to have a LOT more substance, storyline, playing elements, etc. Plus these developers have a pretty amazing story themselves - might help you make the plunge.

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Seems like this game addresses everything you disliked. There's a story, and quests, and you can't escape them. Progression in terms of crafting "benches" is gated by quests and you can only unlock so many recipes before needing that next tier.

While there's a fair bit of initial exploration, there are fairly generous teleporters scattered throughout that you can teleport to from anywhere.

12. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Yup, agreed.. But the core gameplay is very much alike.. So if you hated don't starve I'm not sure how much you'll like this.. Don't starve was short lived on my device as well.. Not because I disliked it but because a bunch of great games dropped soon after.. I say buy it and give it a shot ##

13. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Bought this purely on the recommendations from the thread, not disappointed, basically Don't Starve in Space. They need some better screen shots at the start of the thread though as the actual graphics are so much nicer than they look in the little pictures, I was nearly put off as it almost looked like it was pixel art, it's actually really colourful and crisp!

14. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Having a blast playing this right now. Great job and well deserved 5 stars from TA, imo.
    I've found a bug and hope that it will be seen in this thread. After a while the water shader gets messed up and looks distorted. The mirrored sky on the water is also kind of stuttering. Not a big deal but it should be addressed, though.
    Playing on an iPad Air 2 on iOS 9.2 and zoom level set to "quite large", if it helps.

15. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Amazing game. I love how they streamlined everything. No more managing inventories of endless crafting materials. No more juggling tools. Just focus on gameplay.

So I can't find that guy's house where you gotta kill the wombits to earn his trust. Any help please?

16. Mj1ggy

Mj1ggy Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2012
    I also didn't care for Don't Starve but I love Butterscotch Shenanigans and bought this game immediately on release.

17. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Love some of the elements from junk jack x terraria and other great crafting games but there is also a lot about this game that is unique on its own. I have now had over an hour of play and this game is super awesome! Thanks butterscotch!
    It's January and we already have a game that could be the best this year time will tell but it's certainly leading the pack early and the lead is by miles with nothing but a sunset in its rearview mirror.

18. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Same point I share is it more enjoyable than don't starve that game is boring AF ###

19. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    hmmm...perhaps videogames aren't your thing?

:D