Universal Crashlands (by Butterscotch Shenanigans) - TA GotY 2016

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 21, 2016.

1. CzarBrain

CzarBrain Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Explored a lot. Now I've ran into "need a stronger pick axe / axe" can't figure out how. Also, anyone made a bed as it states in loading tips??

2. CzarBrain

CzarBrain Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I think that's a zero point.

3. eventide

eventide Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    I mean the tool you use to cut down trees, grass etc. Can it be upgraded to cut faster in less strikes

4. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    No, I also have to agree that touch controls for the map would have felt a bit more natural and consistent. Not sure if there was a practical constraint for having not gone with this. Anyway I have updated my post earlier in this thread (post #1) with a few thoughts that I wanted to share from the time that I've spent so far with the game. I would've updated it with this earlier but i've been too busy testing out Dungelot 3, which is something more along the lines that I would normally play :D

5. gaymerX

gaymerX Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Found this interesting bit of info on the game... Impressive to say the least!

"Crashlands consists of three practically infinitely-large, procedurally-generated Biomes. Each has its own cast of Creatures, Resources, and sentient beings for you to dominate.

The biomes of Crashlands are not actually infinite. Each biome is 65,536 (216) tiles wide and tall, giving it a total area of 4,294,967,296 (232) tiles. If Flux is assumed to be 5 feet tall, and each tile is as tall as Flux and 1.5 times as wide, each tile has an area of about 35 square feet (3.3 square meters). Each biome is thus about 62 miles (100 km) tall and 87 miles (140 km) wide, giving it an area of about 5,400 square miles (14,000 square km). The entire area of Crashlands, with its three biomes, is about 16,000 square miles (42,000 square km), about the same size as the Netherlands."

6. Agree with this. I keep trying to drag the map and pinch to zoom before I remember I have to use the clunky arrows.

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #247 VirtualBoyFreak, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    I've only played it on iOS, but I've done it on my 4S and my iPad 3. The screen size obviously makes a difference, but the game looks beautiful and is perfectly playable on both. On my 4S I didn't change the default zooming, I was happy with the amount of viewable area vs character size. On my iPad I changed the default zooming one point further than the default, because I like to see a bit more viewable area of the map without losing the chance of seeing the details of the character (how it changes according to the armour worn, etc.). Hope this helps.

On a side note, I activated the high resolution renderer on the iPad 3 to see the difference in smoothness and the slowdowns I experienced were quite considerable IMO. In any case, "low shader" graphics are amazing, so no worries there either :)

Ah, okay. You get to craft better tools. In fact I've tried cutting some things and I get a message saying something similar to "you need a more powerful axe". I haven't found the blueprints yet though.

8. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    pretty interesting, thank you for the info!
    this game is a masterpiece.

9. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    I took the plunge and I can confirm that this plays very well so far on an iPad 2. Combat becomes tough with newer enemies as I still haven't uncovered a new crafting table plan.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Those "weird lines crossing over the map" are just dividers/sectors, as you'd find in normal maps. You can use them to have an approximate idea of the distance from point A to B in the game.

I told you guys it would be quite okay and perfectly playable ;)

11. clay2361

clay2361 New Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Been playing for about 5.5 hours and am loving it so far. I do have a question though about how the biomes work. At what point are you introduced to the second biome(I know this will be different for everyone depending on the pace each player prefers to play the game) and how is it introduced? Does it fade into the Savanah gradually or is it a completely separate map? Thanks. And hope that all of you are having as much fun with this as I am!

12. eventide

eventide Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012

Thanks for that. Guess I'll just keep playing and hopefully come across a better crafting cutter. Found 2 rare blueprints for armor so maybe I'll get lucky

13. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Interesting... Is this confirmed? It sure seems that this game is very large in scale!

14. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I wonder if this could be updated in a future version? I guess it sort of feels like the current map functionality isn't as mobile game plan enabled with the ouch and zoom features which are standard on mobile games.

15. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    This thread is growing quite fast, so it will be a bit hard for the bros to read everything. Maybe someone should make a short list of things?
    Also keep in mind the game was just released :)

16. SuyinRei

SuyinRei Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2015
    I would imagine the iphone screen is way to small. iPad screen tho is perfect for this type of game.

totally loving this game

17. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney

But with no d-pad, you're reach all over the place. This is in no way a suggestion for a d-pad though, this game isn't an amateur job that doesn't use best mobile practices :D

18. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Why the hell would you want a d-pad? That'd make life harder I think especially combat wise. I'm on my air 2 and my only control gripe for me is is like to be able to move the map with my finger not the arrows, also on the iPad there's space for more action bars which would be cool, unless it's deliberately limited.

Really loving the game though, I'm about 6 hours in and keep finding new things to make me happy. I keep being upset by my gear though as I always end up with worse items and I have leg armour with health regen which I love and don't want to swap lol

I love how everything is implemented through crafting, building, exploration and combat ect the combat is done very well as it makes it tactical and skill based until you out gear by far of course.

19. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    #259 geno11233, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    2 things.
    1. Should I keep the legendary gloves you get in the beginning?

2. What other BS games give what perks??

Actually, how far do I have to get in the other games to unlock the perks??

20. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    The Wompit Garter require huge resource :D i wonder how big this guy become when i give him that xD