Universal Crashlands (by Butterscotch Shenanigans) - TA GotY 2016

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Samurix16

Samurix16 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Male
    USA
    10/10 wood WOOD buy again

2. Spartyfan6262

Spartyfan6262 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Really enjoying this. I'm not much of a crafting fan, but this game is just relaxing to play. Good job Devs.

3. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009

Thanks. The size actually does change on my 6, but the changes aren't very significant. I'll install it on my iPad mini when I get home.

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Bscotch ID Add Me Thread

Hey I started an add me thread for Bscotch IDs - http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=280228

Mine is: Boardumb :)

I'm pretty sure they said implementing any form of multiplayer in this game would need a major rewrite of the engine, but now that they know it's something people want they'll design the next game around having that. This game should be getting a crazy level editor in the not too distant future, though.

5. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    I am surprised and amazed at how well this is designed. No annoying crafting menus, no tiresome backtracking, nothing like the usual short comings of these kind of games. Well done!

If I had one thing though, it would be: Please include a floating joypad.

For me it seems like one of these games where my fingers are constantly blocking the gorgeous graphics. It feels like it is tested and developed on a PC with a mouse cursor, and on a tablet it sort of ruins the immersion a bit.

But really not complaining if this never gets added, just hoping. This is fantastic game!

6. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    Plays perfectly on my iPhone 6 Plus I'm loving it! :D

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    #227 currymutton, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    I think I read some where MFi-controller support is not yet on the drawing board, but I hope it comes soon.

Very enjoyable game, thanks!

Edit: drop a 5-star review it truly deserves

8. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #228 Leegames, Jan 22, 2016
    This. :):):)

9. Drizzt79

Drizzt79 Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Anyone played this on both iOS and Steam? Wondering what the best experience is and worried that my iPhone 6s screen is too small for the ideal way to play. Comparisons welcome #

10. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Yeah this game is awesome. I find it nearly impossible to get into these sorts of "crafty" games, and I think that's because most of them provide very little direction, very little characterization, and very little progression. This is really the only procedural crafting game that saw these flaws and actually corrected all of them. It's very very similar to Don't Starve except it's also an action RPG that you continually play rather than just do short runs through.

I also love how various items you can collect from the environment can also drop recipes. Like how cutting down trees sometimes gives out rare recipes that use their logs. I got a legendary glove recipe off of either an enemy or a tree. The random rolls on items are also addictive... The art and sound are both great as well, and the writing is charming. The puns are just silly and fun.

I was worried the iPhone6 screen would be too small, but it actually works well and the UI's pretty easy to make out. I imagine a 6+ is just fine. Looks great on an iPad with the high-res art.

11. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Wow this game man... Its awesome.

12. wilwired

wilwired Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Anybody figure out the secret for finding Walker Blossoms? Used to create Blastique. Took me like an hour to find 5 of them...

Playing on my 6S/Mac and am having a BLAST. Well done!

13. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    About the baconweed quest, I crafted the baconweed pot so what should I do now ? Nothing happens though even when I put it in front of that 2 flying creatures

14. predator8u

predator8u Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Since butterscotch shenanigans has now made exceptional versions of infinite runners( flop rocket), dual stick shooter( Towelfight), rouge-ish-like ( quadropus Rampage), ARPG/crafter ( crash lands).

What genre would you like to see them master next??

Personally I've always wanted to play one of the sim/civilization/empire builders( ie game of war, clash of clans, etc) but would never touch a F2P game. So to see them make one with Sams art would be wonderful.

Also a turn based rouge-like would be cool.

Any ideas?

15. snowblzr

snowblzr Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2014
    you need to have 5 of them in your inventory and then talk to them

16. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    I've got the game but haven't played it yet (determined to finish homework first or I'll never get it done), but maybe put some baconweed (names like this is why I love BS) into the pot? I dunno.
    Very impressed with how much people like the game, it's even a hit with people that don't like the genre!

Edit: I have no idea how to beat the quest, don't listen to me lol
    Dude above me does though :)

17. revolverblue85

revolverblue85 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Loving it. Very surprised as I could not get into their other games. Only played about 45 minutes and just did the grandmammy quest. Awesome game

18. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Yea some kinda difficult randomly generated something something would be very fun =] with their own twist on talent trees and what not

19. Killerluffy246

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    Oh haha thx

20. Killerluffy246

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    #240 Killerluffy246, Jan 22, 2016
    They really should have implemented the touch interface for the map instead of using the arrows button. Furthermore, there is some weird lines crossing over the map, lmao.
    Its disappointing that those beta testers did not point this out rather than just busy enjoying the game, zzz...