Universal Craft The World - Pocket Edition (By Dekovir, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 12, 2014.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #221 macplash, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Cyrus, of course, your house can be above and below the ground, it's not a problem at all. When you unlock statues and towers in later stages, there's no reason to build them underground. House border is a matter of totem. Totem has limited range. To have your shelter "active", you need to fill all the holes (which you probably know already if you noticed the glow around the shelter's border). But as I said, totem has limited range, I'm not sure how much it is exactly, 10-12 blocks to both sides I guess? Anyway, you can build more totems and place them strategically around your shelter. That solves your problem. Just keep in mind that each totem has it's own comfort measurments so if you've got nice place build underground and your dwarves are happy, it might be green (above 70% I guess) but also if you neglect some other part of your shelter and dwarves are not feeling comfortable there, that totem might be yellow or even red. So be sure to decorate your place equally. Have fun;)

EDIT: here's the screen how my shelter looked like when I finished the first level. I started playing this game on Steam a few days ago because there's new update (1.0.008) and even new beta update (1.0.009b) with a lot of improvements and bug fixes but I sure have the iOS version still installed and trying to beat the desert world there;)
    [​IMG]

2. cyrus

cyrus Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Again, thank you mac. I was being very thick and hadn't filled in the back walls above ground. Doh! All sorted now. I've also added my second totem as you suggested and all my problems are now solved. Thanks again! Loving this game!!

3. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Hello,

I'm thinking of buying this, it's £7.99 so pricey. is it worth the money or should I look at something else?
    (I like junk Jack x and Minecraft games)

4. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    The first level you supposed to build a shelter.. Mind telling me how long you played until it completed? At first I thought it was a 5 min kind of game per level

5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    There are 3 different worlds at the moment. According to FB page the 4th is in the creation process and from what I've seen, it looks gorgeous. This is definitely not a 5 minutes per level kind of game. What you see on my screenshot took me around 12 hours. But I didn't rush myself. You should be able to complete the first world in couple of hours I guess. Maybe 7-8, don't know, it depends. It's the smallest one after all. this game has incredible production value. For the price you pay, you'll get tens of hours of great fun in return. It's quite rare. I'm still playing both, iOS and Steam versions. It's just a great game, what can I say?

6. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I think it's easily worth £7.99. As macplash says above there's hours of gameplay, in terms of price per hour it's the best value iOS game I've bought.
    I haven't played Junk Jack but from what I've read they appear to be similar games.

7. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    I need help :(

I bought this yesterday and yes it's a superb game but I'm really struggling badly.

I can cope with 1-3 dwarves but when it gets to 4+ It's just too hectic and I totally panic and struggle. I would like to limit the dwarves to 3 but there's no option for that. As apple don't give refunds it's play it or delete it and I'd rather not waste my money.

Can you suggest how I can cope with many dwarves? :(

8. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #228 JasonLL, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
    My advice is build underground as your first shelter and don't let the amount of dwarves worry you too much. Multitasking in the game is mostly automatic and if a job requires multiple dwarves they will tend to the task. If a dwarf is waiting around near their supply then just let them be. The most important thing to me at the beginning for the dwarves is food and protection (weapons and shelter). This really is a game that gets easier to deal with the more you play, keep at it and soon you will command an army of dwarves with ease.

Haven't watched the video myself but this is the most relevant video according to YouTube, this might help you out a bit:

http://youtu.be/R28R60Ce4l0

Couple of quick tips to start out
    - If the dwarf selection screen is open down at the bottom half of the screen tap on your supply pile to close that screen and go back to the equip/craft/quickbar.
    - Build tables and place your food on the table by placing the desired food in the quickbar, activating it by tapping on the food in the quickbar, then tap on the table.
    - Pinecones are edible food for your dwarves.

9. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    If you have an iPhone 5 or below don't get it. The devs didn't even bother testing this game on iPhone 5 or older devices. The game is completely unplayable in mid-late stage where the FPS drops to something ridiculous like 2-3 during enemy raids and stays at like 5-10 outside of raids. This is because your house becomes huge and the tunnels become way too extensive. It plays perfectly fine the first few hours of a map btw. I'm not sure how the performance is on iPhone 5S/6, it might be playable on 6 but on 5S I seriously doubt it's much better.

10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #230 macplash, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
    As JasonLL wrote, dwarves acting automatic most of the time. The easiest way to control them and not to lose touch with what they're doing is to keep their paths short and tasks simple. If you're sending your dwarves to build a wall, don't mark unnecessarily big areas, always just a few blocks. The same goes for mining. Let them do the work little by little. Sometimes there's the danger of them falling somewhere or getting lost and you want to be aware of their appearance and location. Also, you can control any dwarf manually if necessary. It's quite usefull when they lost their paths. Manual control just resets whatever they're doing. And, last but not least, once you build the shelter, you can "lock" all dwarves inside so they're not wander by themselves without your awareness. It's all about practice. Just give the game a chance and don't give up in early stages. You'll be rewarded with hours and hours of great fun. Trust me, it's worth it.

11. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I've had no problems on iPhone 5S or iPad Air.

to add to what others have said, you don't need to micromanage them. Just mark the tasks you want done and they will get on with it.

Some more tips:

When digging, only mark two rows at a time. This is because with three rows and above, if you are unlucky you'll end up with dwarves digging out row 3 first and creating a tunnel, they will be able to reach up and dig row 2 above but they won't be able to get to row 1. If you get them to dig only two rows at once nothing can go wrong, you can just leave them to it.

When building foreground blocks, only build one row at a time. If you mark two rows to be built, the top row might get built first meaning the dwarves can't reach the bottom row to build it.

Oh and watch out for ants underground, they are dangerous.

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Just noticed this is "half price" at the moment.

13. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Surprised no one else noticed / commented? It was on my wishlist and I noticed it right away and picked it up.

I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to build my house but I'm sure it'll come to me after playing more.

Note: It's back to full price now so it was a one-day unannounced sale it seems.

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    New update!

Might be time I stopped letting this languish in my backlog and put some real hours into it!

15. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    I've been playing this for about a week so far (only about 4 hours actually playing) still playing the first world and I'm loving it.
    the fact you just set tasks and your little army of guys go off and do it is what makes it my favourite game in this genre (at least on touch screen anyway)
    stuff like junk jack and terraria I never liked the one character/virtual controls but this is brilliant. I'm really enjoying expanding my base and sending them off exploring.
    it just fits and works so well for touch screen and plays great on my retina mini and 5s.
    well worth the money.

16. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
  17. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    So... is this fun?

18. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    It's definitely fun, but you need to know what you're getting into. If you expect Minecraft or Terraria you'll be disappointed and likely annoyed by the dwarf AI. This is more about managing your team of dwarves. Think of it as more productive Sims with a lot of mining, building and combat.

19. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    This just got a major update with 2 new DLC packs with lots of new content. Glad to see this still being supported all these years later, buying the DLC to support the Devs.:D

20. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Same here, i love this game!