Cracked screen question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Pocketnova, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I already assume there is no fix other than getting the screen repaired (Which, for an almost three year old device, seems a bit of a waste), but I thought I would ask here anyway. I have an iPad mini that got a rather large crack about six months ago which hasn't bothered me all too much until about yesterday when it would appear that some pressure is on the screen making random actions (page switches, random apps being open etc.) rendering it practically unusable. I had no idea how I could find anything online about this, so I decided to ask here if there was anything I could do to make it any more usable. Thank you!

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    If there is anything you can do, you should find it on ifixit.com .
    However, with a broken screen I highly doubt that you can e.g. glue it.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Well, you can pick up a new screen for it through ebay for between $14 and $25. I believe it's a fairly simple fix involving a little soldering/heat gun action. Just Google or youtube 'how to replace touch screen for iPad mini' and you'll find little videos walking you through it! Good luck, man!

4. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    #4 Pocketnova, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    [QOUTE=bigrand1;3495201]Well, you can pick up a new screen for it through ebay for between $14 and $25. I believe it's a fairly simple fix involving a little soldering/heat gun action. Just Google or youtube 'how to replace touch screen for iPad mini' and you'll find little videos walking you through it! Good luck, man![/QUOTE]

Thank you so much! Definitely sounds a lot better than spending 200 or so dollars sending it to Apple.

5. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    I'll take a look at that site ASAP. Thanks for helping me out!

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
  7. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Thank you so much! Definitely sounds a lot better than spending 200 or so dollars sending it to Apple.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome! Any time I can help I will try to! ;) I'm always into getting what I want spending as little as I can!
    To me, the hardest part of this replacement is to make sure you have solder on every single pin and you align both pieces just so when putting the two pieces back together. :D