iPhone Cover Orange (by FDG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. dabigkahuna

dabigkahuna Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1181 dabigkahuna, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
    Well, I assume it is new. Never saw it mentioned that I recall. Important to drop things as soon as possible, even if you have to drop them from higher up than you otherwise would.

2. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Oh, since you use an iphone 4, can you give me your scores on the following levels? These are the ones where I am particularly behind compared to pantsjo and ctay's scores. I want to see if someone has stumbled on a way to stop the clock faster on the ip4. Here are the levels I'm most interested in and my score on each:

17 (977)
    58 (973)
    103 (978)
    108 (977)
    112 (978)
    136 (968)
    183 (973)

I periodically work on these levels, hoping I'll stumble across a way to stop the darn counter faster. Even on ones where everything seems to have stopped moving, the timer won't stop.

On some of these, my 3G doesn't have this problem. Probably most are just differences in hardware, but I still hope to find some approach that works.

3. Jfoles13

Jfoles13 Member

Mar 16, 2011
    My scores on those levels:

17 (974)
    58 (972)
    103 (972)
    108 (972)
    112 (975)
    136 (967)
    183 (978)

I've never managed to get the slow-mo on level 7 longer than 30-40 seconds, and I've never tried the other methods to stop the clock quicker. Once I do those things, I'll let you know what my scores are.

Regarding those levels in which the clock runs for nearly 10 seconds after everything is completely still, I wonder if it would make sense to write to the developers? Because clearly the programming of those levels is different than the rest of the game.

I did write to the developers once with no response though, so I'm not sure that would do any good. Quite awhile ago I was playing level 18, and the game did some weird glitch where the congratulations screen came up that I completed the game, and it had reset the record score for that level to zero. At that time, I couldn't repeat my score, so I asked if they could credit me the points I originally had, because it affected my leader board position. Since then I've gotten 990 on that level, so I corrected it myself.

As far as level 183, it stops at 178 every time without slow-mo (haven't used that yet on the new set of levels), so I'm not sure why your timer isn't stopping sooner. I just tried dropping the 2 wheels quickly and the timer stopped at 988, so it doesn't seem to be one of those strange levels.

4. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I probably shouldn't have listed 183 - I was just looking at my list and saw the low score, but I have gotten it to stop much higher but didn't get the luck I needed to win. I saw none of your other scores were higher so it just may not be possible on the ip4. But I'll probably keep trying from time to time anyway. I know sometimes dropping things differently can affect a score slightly even though there seems to be no reason.

5. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1185 dabigkahuna, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
    Just got 989 on lvl 183 and 988 on lvl 103 with the ip4.

Also, using the 3G, I've gotten 992 on 18 of the newest 20 levels!

6. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1186 dabigkahuna, May 29, 2011
    I haven't completely figured out slo-mo. I just let it run all night, screen on, on level 7. Generally that keeps getting it slower, but I've had it get a bit faster a couple times for one night.

What "other methods" are you referring to for stopping the clock quicker? All I know is that generally (not always) you have to stop the oranges from moving. Sometimes you have to stop everything from moving.

I don't particularly care that some levels the clock will keep running (other than it may well waste a lot of my time trying them in hopes of discovering a solution!). But it does bug me some that different hardware react differently. I don't care too much that the version of the iTouch ctay uses can get 992 points on some levels and the iphone 4 can't do better than 991 (the 3G phone can get 992 on many more).

But it does bug me that there are some levels where the clock stops much differently. For example, on level 58 I can't do better than 973 with my iphone 4. But the 3G will stop the clock at 992! That's way too much difference! If it wasn't for big differences like that, I might be able to compete with ctay and pantjo on the leaderboard (the 3G iOS doesn't include the leaderboard so my top score doesn't show). There are some levels where the ip4 scores better, but not very many and not by such big margins. The worse one for the 3G is level 93 where I lag my iphone 4 score by 9 and the record by 10.

Oh, lost my slo-mo just now. I have no idea why since the game was still in the task bar when not using it, as usual. Apparently it simply completely quit on its own since it took longer to start.

7. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Got level 8 up to 992 on the 3G. Also got level 31 to stop the timer at 992, but can't get the luck I need with gaps to miss both oranges.

I've played these levels many times on the 3G. That I could suddenly get an extra point would seem to show that there can me small differences in how they play sometimes. I remember one level (forget which), where I could drop a wheel in a wagon and it would get stuck under a platform. Then suddenly it no longer got stuck! Later it went back to getting stuck again.

I've also noticed streaks that may fit this pattern. I'd play a bunch of levels on the 3G and just not seem to be able to raise the scores. Then I'd play later covering the same levels and I'd easily knock them off.

8. Jfoles13

Jfoles13 Member

Mar 16, 2011
    I worded it wrong, I meant the things you can do to get less rain drops or create gaps in the rain.

#3 on the leader board got over 1300 points in one day? Seriously what is the point of hacking the leader board, just to annoy the other people who actually play the game?

9. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1189 dabigkahuna, May 29, 2011
    How do you know he got 1300 in one day? But if he did, that wouldn't surprise me. I mean, what if there was one level he couldn't figure out and finally did? That's close to 1000 right there. Or if he learned any of the tricks we know, he could go back through all the levels and make big gains. That's what I used to do as I learned new tactics from posts here.

So I don't know if he is a hacker.

10. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Well, after too many tries to count, I finally got 992 on level 31 (3G phone). I may make one more run through of all the levels I have less than that score on to see if I can make any more progress, but I may well have topped things out with that hardware.

I also finally picked up more points on the Valentine version. I added 7 pts on level 7, moving me into a tie 6th place overall. Need slo-mo to do anything better, but I can't find a way to do that - yet!

11. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Big K
    I realize you have spent many hours working on the known high score list, and I find your comparisons of each idevice interesting. It is obvious that the apple 3g is the superior idevice to use when playing CO; however, most of the players do not use it to play this game. Most use the iphone4 or an ipod which have a legitimate connection to the Game Center. I would prefer to see the known high scores of those idevices and I think those scores would be more helpful or inspiring to any new players. Perhaps you could keep your current known high score chart which would include the 3g but restore the known high scores list for the iphone4 and ipod users.

Thanks...

12. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I thought about that when I eventually realized how the 3G could score so high - but by that time I no longer had the old high score list! So I just continued except for the latest 20 levels which are only on the iphone 4.

I could take my own high scores from the ip4 and put them in and then you could let me know which ones you have higher scores on. That would cover most of them, but not all.

What do you think? It will take awhile, for sure.

13. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    That sounds fine, Big K, take your time.
    also, check your PMs.

14. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I have made a second sheet to leave off the 3G high scores. For some reason I can't get it to show up at the link. Sent a message to Pantjo to see if he can get it to work since it is his original spreadsheet. I can see both when editing, but the new one (without the 3G scores) won't show up otherwise. Hope he is still around the forum to get the message!

Meanwhile, I just finished going back through over 40 pages of messages, making notes of when new high scores were announced or scores higher than I have on my ip4 so I can add that info into the spreadsheet so there will be fewer for others to identify or show higher scores than what I have.

15. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Just finished entering everything I have - lots of places to fill in with names and possibly higher scores than I have.

Right now, I have you down for 37 of the high scores but I'm sure before I did the 3G that you had over 50 and I'm pretty sure it was over 60 so if ever get this list to show, you'll have a lot of stuff to update me on.

16. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Not to worry, Big K, I am sure you did a fine job. No need to update you about my scores; I am sure you have and /or P'jo have matched them. I am going back to playing C&E and Mexiball this afternoon. Great brain games. You might like to try them.

17. asumsky

asumsky Member

May 31, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    this game looks sick

sweet, i'm getting this game right now. love the art style. i cant believe i haven't heard of this before . . . will post impressions when i play it

18. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    The hackers are back! :(
    I am moving on to another game. Good luck to everyone on this one.

19. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #1199 dabigkahuna, May 31, 2011
    Have fun - hope to see you back when we get new levels.

20. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    But I'd like to get the names write. I'm missing almost all of Pantsjo's. He had, I think, something around 30+. Yeah, I've probably matched almost all of them - can't be all because he had more total points than I did.

Regardless, when I get it to show, there WILL be scores that are not as high as you or he have and we'll need those adjusted or the list will just be wrong.