iPhone Cover Orange (by FDG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. iPancho

iPancho Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Gelderland
    You're right. With the right timing you can swing the arms over the top to create a roof.

2. dabigkahuna

dabigkahuna Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    You really are good at figuring these things out. I used to be that creative - decades ago! Brain is slowing down!

I did manage to pass Shaun today. Won't last. Clearly he hasn't been playing much since he was ahead of me on the original 160 levels. But it's still the highest I've ever been besides when I was the first of the high score players to do get started on the new levels.

3. iPancho

Aug 10, 2010
    Gelderland
    High Score List Update

I've put up the new levels on my list. Anybody got anything better? I think there must be better scores out there, at least for levels 173, 178 & 179.

4. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Geez, I can't even match any. Not sure, but I think my best on any is at least 3 behind and most are much more. I assume slo-mo is needed for most of those. I have SOME slo-mo, but not a lot yet. And ctay needs to retire! How does he get some many of those scores? Over half? Not fair! :)

5. iPancho

Aug 10, 2010
    Gelderland
    #885 iPancho, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    Well, Ctay plays on an iPod, and the theory is that on the iPod you get at least one point extra on each level compared to iPhone players. She will deny this, of course ;)

By the way:
    IMG_0490.PNG
    (of course, at least 99% never seriously played for a high score. Still it looks cool; #1 of a million)

6. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Yep, very big deal. Still can't figure out how the heck you get some of those scores. Even level 7 - which I mess with fairly regularly since I use it to get into slo-mo, I can't get past 979. I can't see any other option other than to either drop the wheel so the orange hits it or try to drop the wheel so the wheel drops down on top of the rolling orange as it leaves the ramp. Neither one stops the timer soon enough to get higher. There are other levels that have similar issues - where you seem to have done all you can, fairly quickly, but the timer just keeps going and going.

I want to find out if there are solutions I'm just missing or, just maybe, do some levels actually act differently on different phones.

7. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Regarding the iphone vs. ipod, this is what I think might be true. Those who use the newest iphone (4) may be at a disadvantage. Those who use the older iphones and ipods are able to get the "extra point". However, the extra point seems to be limited to those levels that have only ONE object to drop. The extra point on ALL levels was a speculation from Shaun. On the other hand, I believe I can get the extra point because I have quicker reflexes. :D
    I also believe that there is, what I call the "ipod curse", which limits one's ability to play Cat Physics as one would be able to do if an iphone were used.

And, Big K, after you figure out the solution (that is the fun part) the points (the hard part) are mostly gained by gimmicks and a magic wand:)

8. ctay

ctay Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2010
    #888 ctay, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    Yes, the timer aspect can be a very frustrating component in this game! Level 7 as I recall is a matter of timing of wheel and orange... wish I could recall how I got the 988 :( but I don't think it was anything unusual just dropping the wheel asap and my notes say "best in regular motion". the iphone 4 high score is...987

9. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I've been able to figure out the solutions - at normal speed - on all of them except 180. I did beat it, but with the help of a little slo-mo. Needed iPancho's help to get the proper strategy at regular speed. As usual, it was obvious once I knew. I had figured those little protrusions were important but failed to consider working things "backwards". That's the kind of stuff I used to be really good at!

10. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #890 dabigkahuna, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    By "best in regular motion", would that mean not slo-mo?

When I get done polishing up my scores on the last 20 levels, I'm going to go back and try to get my really bad scores fixed on the rest - considering how many times I've tried, I'll probably need help.

Oh, I finally matched a couple of those top scores for the last 20 levels and came within one for a couple others. Still working my way through them again.

11. Jfoles13

Jfoles13 Member

Mar 16, 2011
    I guess there is a secret that I don't know yet, a way to stop the timer quicker? I can't figure out what these "protrusions" are.

12. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Well, there are some levels where you do everything, all objects seem to have stopped moving - which usually is the most you need to do to stop the countdown - but it just keeps counting for quite awhile longer. Don't know why. Some apparently have gotten around them because the high level scores show they must have, but darn if I know how they did it.

As for level 180, the log-like object at the top/center of the screen has two little protrusions near the bottom. If you drop the barrels at the right time, they'll spin the rotating arms around enough to lay against them, thus providing a roof of protection.

13. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #893 dabigkahuna, Apr 10, 2011
    I suspect this may already have been beaten, but just not updated yet, but I have a new high score on level 173 (162 pts).

As best I can remember, I drop a wheel to push the right orange to the left. Then, as soon is it pushed the lever down, I drop another wheel from a low position onto that tiny slanted section before the lever to push it faster.

Next wheel is dropped down the gap just before the orange is going to fall in. This sets off the bombs which raise the right lever.

While this process is going on, I drop the last wheel by the left orange to push it right. Then I hope for the best that things fall into place below so the rain that falls down the open area misses. Probably requires slo-mo.

And based on what I saw, this same strategy should give a few more points at least because I had a longer gap than I intended between the right level going up and the left one going down.

14. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    One more high score: Level 178 (979 pts).

Can't help much as basically it was just the luck on bouncing raindrops. Did the same thing more times than I can count and lost. Needed slo-mo.

15. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    A third high score: Level 163 (989 pts).

Slo-mo definitely needed.

16. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    A fourth! Level 165 (989 pts).

Slo-mo required.

17. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #897 dabigkahuna, Apr 10, 2011
    Going to be real annoying when the new list is put up and my new high scores turn out not to be the highest after all.

Updated 173 = 962 pts

18. Jfoles13

Jfoles13 Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Thanks for clarifying that. I had already figured out lvl 180; I had just misunderstood your post, thinking that iPancho told you about protrusions in those levels in which the timer runs for awhile after all items are still, and that was the secret to stopping the timer lol.

I haven't used slow-mo yet on the new set of levels, hopefully I can get many more points after I implement that.

19. Jfoles13

Jfoles13 Member

Mar 16, 2011
    My game keeps freezing when I check the high scores. So I have to completely close out the game to be able to play again, preventing me from building up any slow-mo. Is this happening to anyone else? I guess I'll just have to stop checking the leaderboard via the game, & only through game center.

20. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I've had it take awhile sometimes for the high scores to come up. And I think there were a couple times I couldn't tap "Done" or other high score lists and have anything happen.

But - and I may be wrong about this - I could press the home button to get out of the game, but then just start it again (the game would still be in the task bar) and the game would work and at the speed it was where I left off.