Universal CounterSpy (by Sony Computer Entertainment America)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #81 Pipipitchu, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Maybe I'm a better swipper than you because my inputs always have the expected result. I don't know if you played on the phone. I'm playing on the iPad, so the bigger screen might be making things easier for me. Controls could be better, but they are not bad in my opinion. Just not really what the game needs.

I couldn't agree more that Sony and Dynamighty need accurate and constructive feedback to understand this game's flaws, to fix them and to make a (even) better work on future releases. This is their first game on this platform.

I'm only worring about people beginning to be toxic saying "this game is crap", giving 1 star reviews and this kind of thing. I have seen this happening before on the App Store. This would be unfair and could kill Sony's first attempt on mobiles.

2. maikelg

maikelg Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    So you're not a counterspy at all, you're just a spy.

3. I'll wait for a price cut. This a steal yes, for us. Not for them. Hope they'll add more content later.

4. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #84 sapphire_neo, Sep 5, 2014
    I really should have educated myself more on the port before picking it up. I guess it was to be expected that Sony would hold back content for its own platforms. Oh well, lesson learned. While Square Enix charges full price for its ports, at least it delivers a complete experience. I pounced on this before looking because I've been dreaming of Mark of the Ninja for iOS and this looked very similar.

5. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Yeh this IS very reminiscent of Shadow Complex. Love the graphics and gameplay. Just had a quick look and everything seems ok. Just takes a little while to get used to the controls then everything is fine. Nice to see Sony joining iOS club and not giving us iap fueled rubbish and giving us a full price game! If there is less maybe they're seeing how it does. I like it.

6. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    This is a release sale, the price is already cut.

7. I know. But not enough man. Same price you have Valiant Heroes.

8. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Fixed it for you :p

9. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #89 MrMojoRisin, Sep 5, 2014
    Ya, as others have already said, this is NOT a port of the full game. The devs even said in an interview that this was just to give you a taste so you would buy the full game. I was surprised that they are even charging for this.

I was looking forward to checking it out, but I've already bought the real version for PS3, so I guess I'll be sticking to that one.

Great game on PS3, though. Just not worth $5 (or even more later) for what is really just a demo.

Edit: Just a clarification to my comments, if you do not have a PS3, PS4 or Vita, then this probably IS worth at least $5, if you can handle the controls, that is. But if you have a Sony console, then just pay a bit more and get the real game. This is not a substitute for that version.

10. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    I'm really liking this....so much so I'm gonna buy it for the Vita / ps4.

Bravo Sony...and at a couple of quid its a steal

P.s take the 'demo' statement as a pinch of salt...ive wasted half a day playing this so far!

11. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    #91 MrMojoRisin, Sep 5, 2014
    I've wasted way more time than that on some demos. :cool:

But yeah, it's more of a "lite" version than a demo. But if you have a Sony console, you could have saved $5 and just watched a review or two. Then you have known that the Sony version is definitely worth a purchase.

I was really looking forward to a mobile version of this game. But everything they said about it until now lead me to believe it was going to be a free "marketting tool" for the full game, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get myself to pay for it.

12. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Wow, this looks great - watched 5 minutes of RedRibbon's play through and bought. Controls look serviceable (at least in RR's hands :) ), though a bit too complex for mobile. I'd bet you'd forget all of the commands if you left the game for a couple days. Looks/story alone get this a 5/5...

13. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    OK - impressions on the first mission... controls not as bad as were initially reported (at least for me). I think the trick is to play on a desktop with both hands free - I think this would be really hard to try to hold your iPad and work the controls. Speaking of which - I have not tried on iPhone yet, but would think it'd be a bit more difficult with your fingers in the way. Everything seemed super responsive, and the art, animation, music and design are top notch.
    I do wonder if there are scene changes as you progress, or if I've already seen everything and they just throw more guards/cameras at you. Would be nice if they had included the entire game, not just the USSR - but for this price, this is a steal (which I'll sell to C.O.U.N.T.E.R. in for a semi-automatic with extra ammo).

14. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    How do you avoid the cameras? I can dash through some, but there are some that are right above safes. Can't seem to avoid changing defcon 'cause I have to linger and loot the safe.

15. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #95 Pipipitchu, Sep 5, 2014
    I just shoot'em all right between the eyes. Good comunist camera is a dead comunist camera ;)

I've finished the second level and I still have no problems with the controls. It's weird and feels wrong, but it doen't feel broken and it's working well enough for me so far.

16. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Still enjoying this, but I REALLY wish I could fight the US. If given the opportunity, I'd much rather fight the Americans rather than the Russians. I wish I owned a PS4 or Vita so I could play the full game. Well, This one is still worth the five dollars, since it does play very well, if you can get used to the controls.

17. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    As my Slovak grandfather says, "Goddamn Russians!"

18. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    A lot of people that haven't tried this seem to think the controls are terrible.
    To the point it's coming up in other threads. They really aren't that bad. It's annoying when you have others games to compare it to that have aced the controls and the controls here are just ok.
    The game itself is a ton of fun and well worth the mild awkwardness of the controls.
    If I owned a ps4 I'd buy a copy for that based on my time with this game...
    Not defending the lack of control options. It was a bad move to not include a more traditional option. Just pointing out that 4 out of 5 people that play it find them usable.
    Now I'm off to drop another couple bucks on the other new stealth game this week.

19. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    You actually end up fighting against BOTH in the full console game. You CAN just concentrate on one if you really wanted to, but each side always has one mission each to offer, and they each offer different rewards and risks, so you end up switching back and forth if you want to play optimally.

20. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

The cameras should be moving their view forwards and backwards, while they move between the two positions they should be making a half-circle where they look into the background for a moment. It's while they do this that you can walk (or run) through undetected.

The green cameras can be shot and destroyed with any weapon, the orange armored ones require a weapon that shoots something explosive to be taken out.

(At least that's how it is in the full Vita version of the game, I don't feel like spending ~3,85€ on a less complete version of the game on my shield tablet since I already own and completed it on Vita, so I don't know if both camera types are in the mobile version of the game, etc.)