Universal CounterSpy (by Sony Computer Entertainment America)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 4, 2014.

1. iosomfg

iosomfg Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2014
    And what about bluetooth controllers support?

I own both platforms Vita and iPad but I can't decide which one I should buy :)
    iOS lower price
    Vita better control (and some bonuses?)

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Occasionally, they can actually be comparable.

For those of us who find the gameplay experience as good on our iDevices (immersion- as well as control-wise), or even actually PREFER playing on a phone over a console, a ten dollar discount is a very pleasant bonus.

And when the expensive alternative is a PSP Vita, which is closer in experience to an iDevice than a regular console, with only 20% gain in screen estate over an iPhone, and a considerable loss when compared to an iPad, and which only offers physical buttons as its other potential advantage (something that is highly subjective, and that I often consider a drawback) beyond the small increase in screen size, 10 dollars is indeed a remarkable discrepancy.

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Whaaaaat?! This is out on iOS?!

The AppStore gods have rewarded us!

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Other than the controlls the iOS version will probably be better, if it's exactly the same content wise. The loading times are AWFUL in the Vita version, and if you have a somewhat recent iPad it'll probably look & play better on the big screen. (In the Vita version it can be hard to tell if an enemy is wearing a helmet or not)

5. Shifaan

Shifaan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2013
    What? Is this game not coming out in Australia at all?

6. iosomfg

iosomfg Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Der-Kleine: Thank you.
    Yes I have iPad Air but still.. the controls and price :)

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Great game, above average port, worthless controls.

8. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Guess I'll be sitting this one out till an update then :(

9. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #69 Pipipitchu, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Have you play it?

I wouldn't say worthless control, I would say unusual controls. It's weird, but it's responsive. Feels wrong, but not broken. And I think it's a great port, I didn't find any important flaws beside the controls.

By the way this is the first game Sony released on iOS. This might be a good sign.

10. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I have played it. The movement controls are not responsive at all and they are the single most important aspect of any stealth game.

And of course, it's a hugely positive moment for the App Store that Sony has released a game on iOS and Android alongside all its platforms but that does not mean the game should get a free pass. The game is really fun, the controls are not. Dynamighty and Sony need accurate and constructive feedback to understand what works on mobile, not just pats on the back for simply porting a game to the platform.

11. Greatgoat

Greatgoat Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I don't write review because my english is bad. But this game is good, i have no problem with the controls! Good game!

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think Pipipitchu meant just what she/he wrote; not a pat on the back, not a free pass, not that we would forgo criticism, only that it might be a good sign if Sony decides to invest in the platform.

Let's hope they are not adverse to patching and expanding the controls, though. Would be a shame if the game sold and reviewed badly due to control issues, and this new venue of theirs closes before they've actually released a polished port.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To be fair i havent played it but i'm going by videos i've seen and also lots of peoples impressions here. Granted its only $5 so i may go for it anyway but i can imagine 5 minutes later i wont be enjoying it due to the controls and then its a waste of money (wasted a lot of money on apps recently)

Still think its odd when people know what works well control wise for platformers/stealth games/shoot em ups but new games come out with strange control schemes which divide people

14. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #74 ScotDamn, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    I'm all about giving touchscreen games the credit they deserve, but when compared to a dedicated gaming console, yeah it's not the same at all. One being built for gaming alone and one adapted..

Having a dedicated control system isn't subjective, it's obviously superior. Sure it's kinda like - oh snap - this touchscreen system kinda does work well with certain gaming genres, mainly turn-based games - but you're reaching otherwise. Look at that gesture scheme :0

15. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Great game in my opinion. I didn't had a slightest problem with the controls since the beginning. They were always responsive and smooth. Could this be a bug for some users?
    However, I really enjoy it!

(Playing on Mini Retina iOS 7.1.1)

16. Korgath

Korgath Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I competed the game. I think it can be said that this is half the content of the Playstation versions since you only fight against the USSR (no US missions). Hence the price I guess.

Feels kinda like a teaser that way, "hey, if you want more, buy the full version on Playstation".

Still it was a fun couple of hours. And the controls didn't bother me to much.

17. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    This. The most informative post thus far. Thanks for the info.

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks, this was what I was looking for. A half-baked game is not what I need atm... Maybe they'll do the same as what happened with UMK3, where half the rooster of fighters was added in an update, but as it is now, I'll pass.

19. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Ya. That's a total bummer. The game trailer for the full fledged game on page 1 got me really excited but I don't even want to play a game that's only half of the full version. If it can run on Vita, it can run on iOS. Hoping they add the full game down the road. Heck, they can even charge me again for it but I won't bite until such a day happens. Shame.

20. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    From upcoming thread

"The mobile version is something that we are really excited about. We didn’t want to approach this as just a companion app for the main game but rather to make sure it delivers a full game experience that both connects with and supplements the progress you make on PlayStation.

On mobile, you play a field operative that has more limited access to the resources of the Agency, experiencing a subset of the same levels that you play on PlayStation. You’ll still collect blueprints and dossiers though, and you will be able to combine the progress you are making across all the platforms. If you sync your mobile game with Vita or PlayStation 3, you’ll be able to share some of the cool exclusive PlayStation content, such as unique spy weapons, with your mobile “field operative.”