Universal CounterSpy (by Sony Computer Entertainment America)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 4, 2014.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    What do you mean with "fighting only the USSR"? Are there 2 sides on the PS versions and only 1 side on iOS? Also, what features are locked which require a Sony platform to unlock? Gameplay looks great in the videos, but all those "buts" have me undecided...

2. I want please more comments about the game. Before it's back in full price. Thanks !

3. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    #43 Nobunaga, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    I'm pretty much always on your side in this discussion. Or when people say tilt only is the best and other options aren't needed.
    This game doesn't change that. The controls are serviceable but far from perfect.
    I'd take a left, right, shoot, jump always on screen and an "interactive" button that pops up 10/10 times over this. Stealth inc. style would be perfect. For the in cover sections, Major Mayhem pretty much nailed it. This isn't as smooth there either.
    Controls are the major flaw with this title.
    I (even with the fight against controls) really enjoyed my first play through.
    It might be down scaled from its sony platform counterparts. For what it is and how cheap it is, I'm glad I picked it up.
    Edit: To anyone on the fence,
    Pros
    - procedurally generated. Never the same level twice.
    - art style.
    - rogue like elements.
    - stealth game on iOS. Not enough of them to be too picky.
    Cons
    - controls
    - in order to get some bonuses you need to link it to a sony system copy. Bonuses seem to be minimal. Maybe someone else could elaborate more. I don't own a ps3/4/vita.
    - controls.

4. Guys. There'll be un update. Don't blame too much Sony. They don't have made iOS games that much. So, i think it's normal this is not perfect from the start for this game. But is it playable or not ?

5. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Sure. Playable. Serviceable controls. Whatever.
    It's not terrible. Just far from ideal.
    I made it through a whole play through with these controls. Only swore at them a couple times.

6. Haha, controls are that bad xD

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Don't blame sony ? New to ios? Rubbish excuses. Indie devs create great first games. There's 10000's of iOS games where you can see what works well and what doesn't. It's idiotic the way they've done their controls. Crazy decision. Didn't they employ testers? Don't understand how big companies like Sony can make these strange dev decisions

8. Those indie devs you're talking have what, maybe two games they are working on at the same time. Sony ? Maybe 10 or 20. And just for console. So yeah don't blame Sony for that because even if they are rich, they don't have a good studio for mobile plateforme to help them to do well. Don't compare Sony to indie devs. Indie are often focused on one plateforme because they know it. Sony has to deal with all console they have. But not mobile. Hope you understand my point now.

9. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I wonder if they will give us some traditional control options in an update?

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I wish this blasted game was on my store so I could comment on the controls, but...(and no, I'm not defending Sony)...idiotic? You guys need to keep in mind you're playing on a touchscreen, and whether you like it or not, some developers choose to implement controls that simply wouldn't work on other platforms, because...you know? They can. I know it wouldn't hurt to implement other controls, but there's no need to insult people (yes, people work at Sony) who worked their asses off to come up with something "unique" to a platform.

11. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Unfortunately you're so right.
    Ratchet&Clank (Nov. 2013) never showed up in my swiss app store either, so i'll won't be able to kick the big two nations butts, ever.
    Gifting an app outside countries is not possible, right ?

12. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    WHY ISNT THIS OUT IN AUSTRALIA!!!
    Yes I was yelling..

13. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    It kind of works with MFi controller. Movement on Logitech but can work out how to roll etc. Maybe need to crack open the SteelSeries but can only try later. It's funny all the stuff with controls as I used to complain about controls until I saw my kids just adapt to any control scheme if they liked a game. I pretty much tend to do the same thing now as it's actually what I used to do when I was a boy too. Anyhow looks great but I want to finish Mikey first.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #54 metalcasket, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Yep, never got Ratchet & Clank either (probably means we won't be getting that Sackboy game either :/)...and nah, we can't gift internationally. :(

You have every right to. I feel the same way. :(

EDIT: Tried contacting the developers on Twitter. I know this is an issue with Sony and not them, but they may have some insight. Hopefully they'll respond.

EDIT: It's out on Android too...and again, not available in Lebanon. WHA78WTSGHFKHWEFHKLWEKFOWEUPFJNWE,RLJWP

15. Although I (mostly) agree with everyone re: the controls, this game is quite wonderful. In fact. It's the most fun I have had with an ios game in a while.

I also think the hold left side of the screen to aim, press right to shoot, in the 3rd person sections is quite perfectly implemented. Plenty of headshots for me and I am not even that great at that sort of thing.

The graphics are really neat, exploring the stages is fun. Like I said, combat is great.

This came out of nowhere and quite surprised me. I get a sort of super metroid meets goldeneye 64 kind of vibe playing it. That is a VERY good thing.

But yes, the controls, especially the most basic one, walking, are a bit of a fuss. I can deal till an update. It's worth it because it's fun. When an update hits for on screen controls though? I will be one happy bunny.

16. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Sony is publisher but who is the dev? Do they have any other games on iOS?

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Dynamighty...and nah, they don't.

18. dylanfan007

dylanfan007 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Played it on my vita and loved it and for 4.99$ it's a steal.This is the sort of game you keep playing until your battery runs out and then you put it on charge start with again.:)

Simply awesome deal.

19. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Looks like Shadow Complex by Chair, which was a great arcade game on Xbox 360. I've been wishing they'd bring a version out on iOS for ages. This looks like it fits the bill perfectly. Watched the vid. Looks great and downloaded it instantly. I'm just hoping it's as good as it looks.

20. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I've just played the first mission and yes, the controls are different from what we are used to see on a side scroller game, but it's not bad. I would move nome naturally and precisely with a vstick, but so far its not a big problem to me. It's kinda intuitive and it's responsive. Every time I swipe it reads it right and the character do what I wanted. If the game gets more fast paced it might be a problem, tough.

Besides that I'm playing on an iPad 3 and I have no problems like crashes, bugs or low framerate.