Universal CounterSpy (by Sony Computer Entertainment America)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 4, 2014.

1. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Not to sound selfish but that's great news! Definitely picking this one up

2. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Yay it's out on my appstore as well! Seems so sudden and weird for a game like that but at least it's here!

3. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Screw all of you! :p If you get the chance please leave some impressions! I'm really excited for a new stealth.

4. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    What's your opinion about the controls? Good?

By the way it was a dumb move to release it today instead of yesterday.

5. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    First impressions - the game looks great but I am having serious issues with the controls. It doesn't seem to detect my swipes half the time. Just walking around is problematic. It's hit or miss whether the character moves at times. Maybe it's just me but the controls feel wrong.

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#26 Sanuku, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Game Impressions

I have only so far played the Game for around one hour so all I can tell you is the Control Sytsem that was choosen by the Developer (Swipe + Hold, Swipe + Tap, Double TAP, Tap + Hold + Aim,... is weird and kinda hard to get used to the first 30. Minutes but afterwards you kinda accept that they did tried something new and that I can either accept it or ask Apple for a refund.

I have also to mention that coming from the PSN Build it was the first couple of Minutes barely playable for me because the Game did felt often as if it wasn`t responding to my commands at all.

Often I had swiped once and the Game was noticing it only half ot the time and afterwards I did swipe slower and the Game did then react. There also seem to be either a bug because sometimes the Game does accept one swipe as a run and sometimes it does believe you did swipe twice and start running.

It also most of the time doesn`t help the Gameplay Flow that you for whatever reason have to end commands first with a Tap and afterwards you are able to do the next command.

Example:

I was running in the Gameplay Video above and instead of just Tap + Aim to start aiming with my Weapon the Game did interpret it as a Tap with both Thumbs to choose a different Weapons but that command is Tap + Hold two Thumbs and showed up the Weapon Menu while I was Tap + Holding one Thumb on the Left Side and then after a second adding a second Thumb on the right side to start the Aiming Process.

This doesn`t only happen once but twice and the next Mission I will see if it`s a Bug in the Control System or if I just need more time to practice or if I simple always have to make to stop my Agent when he is running with a Tap and then afterwards Tap + Hold and then Aim to be able to use my Weapon.

If that all sound as confussion to you as it does to me let me just show you how confussing it might get when you actually see a Screenshot of the Control System in all it`s glory:

[​IMG]

I still like the Game very much and will keep playing it tonight and the rest of the Week but I sincerly hope that the Developer will show up and announce that they know that the current System isn`t perfect and that they will add a Virtual Control System with four Buttons for all those lazy Bastards of us all that don`t want to learn for every new Game that is out another new Control System also the Console Version does use the exact Old School System and for the hell of all Control Geeks out that I don`t see any reason why the Developer tried to reinvent the (Controller) Wheel a second time.

I second that. A Virtual Joystick with a four Button Control System would really improve for everyone that is coming from the PSN their gaming experience.

7. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Wow, thank you for the awesomely detailed information Sanuku! Definitely picking this up regardless but it's nice to go in forerwarned. I guess a console game is always going to have make some sacrifices in terms of intuitiveness but hopefully some feedback will help improve it down the road.

Still shocked that this came out of nowhere on a Thursday and isn't a soft launch though!

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #28 psj3809, Sep 5, 2014
    Thanks Sanuku. Think I'll sadly pass in this one for now till the controls get sorted out. I've never been much of a swiper !

Again why don't devs go the easy route and go with a joystick as they work well on iOS. The controls you describe seem a bit of a nightmare.

9. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Some developers try to do things more suitable to touch screen, I appreciate that, but I think a virtual joystick should always be available as an alternative.

10. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

It`s not a total Nightmare but the current issues are clearly there and I am unsure why the Game was released (rushed out?) in it`s current form without taking the bit of extra time to actually fine tune the Control a bit more or at least add a second Control Option since the Team at Sony can`t tell me that noone though about that the Control System might be one of the downside of the Mobile Build while the rest of the Game does work more or less flawless.

Note:

The Core Gameplay is still awesome but the current Control Issues are making it really an very rough experiance and if I would have to judge the Game in it`s current form I would rate it with a low 3/5 instead of a straight and strong 4/5.

I deeply hope that it wasn`t ment to be launched tonight and that the current build was just leaked out and that there will be a relaunch with a better Control System then the current one since it might really make a lof ot Action Game Fans blaim the Mobile Community again for another Console Port that got half-assed released just to squeeze it into some time-window some Publisher had put on the table.

I love seeing Developers & Publisher trying out new things on Mobile but at the same time seeing a Game more or less stripped down of it`s Gameplay Flow because someone thought that they might be innovate,...it`s just hard to understand their reasoning for not adding any classic control system at all.

11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#31 Sanuku, Sep 5, 2014
    Game Impressions

@DerKleine posted two Weeks ago footage of the Console Build and as probably everyone will notice straight from the first couple of minutes of Gameplay things are much, much more smoother if it comes to the overall Gameplay Flow compared to the Mobile Build.

At the same time I would like to note that the Loading Times are much, much shorter on the PlayStation 4 and on iOS then on the PlayStation Vita which kinda shocked me a lot since I was already expecting to seem them to be between the Vita & PlayStation 4 Build.

Again as I had already mentioned a couple of times before: The Game does still has it`s own charm, I just wish it would have the same Control System it does have on the PlayStation, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3 (Just with a Virtual Stick!) instead of the current One that sadly doesn`t fit, at least in my eyes, any action-based Platformer.

12. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
  13. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Still not on the Aus store :(

14. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    The game is really good and worth the actual 4.99 price and yes the controls system is a little bit odd, but just until you get used to it, but the game is great.

15. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I'm buying even with the control's problems to grab the release sale and to support PS Vita games coming to the App Store. And because I love stealth games and there are few of them on iOS.

16. Gafferman

Gafferman Active Member

Jun 30, 2014
    So I played the game on the Vita and loved it (though felt the roguelike elements weren't really enough of a draw to play through the story multiple times), but I remember the devs saying when they were doing press for the PS-versions, that the iOS would be a more downscaled complimentary experience.

Has anyone played both versions and noticed any obvious differences - besides the ethnicity of the player character?

17. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    So I've only done the first two missions, but I get the feeling I'm only going to be fighting the USSR. I'd love to be proven wrong. (since the ability to combat both the US and the USSR was so different, as it really helps paint the picture that both sides were in the wrong) The game is a lot of fun though, but it seems some features require a copy on a Sony platform, which is a bit annoying as I was hoping for the full game. That aside I'm looking forword to playing more. It's definitely worth the five dollars, though.

18. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Totally agree

19. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Compatible with iPhone 4? Or editable display options and settings?

20. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer