Universal CounterSpy (by Sony Computer Entertainment America)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    This times a million. I actually don't have a problem with the control scheme in theory, but my problem is that it doesn't work reliably to the point the game is practically unplayable for me. I'm on iPhone 5s latest version of iOS. I dunno if it's just a weird bug affecting only a few people or what, but it's definitely a problem and it's definitely not just "get better at the controls" as some have suggested.

2. I think the game was made for tablets first.
    I understand for iPhone gameplay problems.

3. Jubelio

Jubelio Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    The TA review was done on an iPad, so its not just iPhones.

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Well ... I played it now around 12 hours ... after 30 minutes I had never any more problems with the controls. I like them more than most of the virtual D-Pads ... :cool:

5. I agree with that.

6. Jubelio

Jubelio Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    So you arent seeing any of the bugs at all? I am definitely seeing the bugs some others are reporting and even having played an extensive amount myself they still seem to be getting in the way. Don't get me wrong, I like the design of the control scheme for the most part(although having so many actions tied to double tap seems a little wreckless) and I don't think virtual d-pad is the answer.

7. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Well, if the controls are at 95% ... then the controls of games like Bioshock at 90 - 92% ... so ... I would say it is not perfect but it is better than most other games.

8. Jubelio

Jubelio Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    oh ok, that makes sense. I can understand some people being more affected by it than others.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Well, I'm not seeing any bugs either. Maybe it's device and/or settings issue. Therefore for devs:

iPhone 4S latest iOS non-JB Spanish language setting and 2GB free space --> works OK (I reboot prior to playing to avoid crashes due to memory issues).

10. IronJupiter50

IronJupiter50 Active Member

Mar 28, 2014
    It looks like there is partial controller support. I can walk, run, and jump. But I can't seem to aim, shoot, or interact. I really hope the devs fix this in an update.

For me, the touch controls are ok. Not great, but usable. Although, I don't like the tap and hold to aim. It's hard to move the aiming reticle around without without letting go (maybe I just need more practice). I kind of wish there was some way to bring up the aiming reticle (like an on screen button or gesture). And then I could just swipe to move the aiming reticle around. Then press the button again to holster.

11. DynamightyDave

Sep 6, 2014
    Making Videogames
    San Franscisco
    We did not do any work to support controllers. Now that people are asking about it, its definitely something we will look at. What controllers are people using? I know the iOS ones all follow requirements set by Apple.

I'm really curious about some people reporting the game not registering inputs, whereas others report no problem. TO be honest I'm not sure what this could be. Are most people reporting this on iOS devices?

12. DynamightyDave

Sep 6, 2014
    Making Videogames
    San Franscisco
    When aiming, the speed at which the reticle moves is actually on a curve based on the speed that you move your thumb. If you need to cover a lot of ground with aim, try moving your thumb quicker and you will see the reticle go faster.

We did this so that people could fine tune aiming as well as cover large areas. See if this helps?

13. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    Downloaded, such a fun game, THESE are the kinds of games I expect on the iOS AT LEAST!

It remembers me a lot to the old Splinter Cell games on Symbian.

14. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    #214 bigjack66, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    And my statement is my opinion only! I'm equally entitled to it! I don't want to go back to playing the games that were out when I was a, well I was a twenty yr old and 8bit was all we had back then and looked forward to the day when things improved. Now we've got games like this that I can hold in my hand! I don't want to go back to that, this is what I wanted. To the young uns 8bit is ooh retro, to us it's all we had!

15. IronJupiter50

IronJupiter50 Active Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Thanks for the tips. I think it is a matter of practice and getting used to a new control scheme. Also I initially used my thumb, but now I find it much easier to use my index finger.

And I must say, this is really a fun game. Love the art style!

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I reinstalled and did world 1 with all the challenges, first 7 levels of world 2 with all the challenges and the first two stages of world 3 with all the challenges, and it still doesn't hook me, so I deleted it. It's just a permutation of possibilities to find the right path. I already had enough of this many years ago with the old Pitman for the Game Boy :p thanks for your interest anyway :)

Back on topic: @DynamightyDave: Any chance the memory usage of the game can be further optimized to try and have a slightly smoother experience on an iPhone 4S?

17. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    #217 Nobunaga, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Beat the game on the hardest difficulty earlier.
    I'm still not going to say the controls are perfect.
    I'd still enjoy having options.
    I've learnt what situations they can be sticky in though, and I tend to just tackle problems in a way that bypasses the issues.
    I'll be keeping this on my device for a little while and hoping for a content update for American missions.
    Edit: as other people have said, I'd be more than willing to pay for DLC content.
    A side question, what is the perk for the dead drop (psn) account link?

18. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I've played the game for around seven hours now and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Like a few others on here, I did find the controls a little fiddly at first but they do actually work pretty well once you get the hang of it.

The randomly generated levels work a treat, and help to extend the gameplay experience, although the addition of the US missions would be welcome for a change of scenery. I would happily pay to unlock the "other side" via IAP if this option was included in a future update.

This is a great little game, and with a bit of fine tuning to the controls it could be even better. I gave it a 5-star rating on the app store because I feel that it deserves to do well.

19. yorrick

yorrick Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Any more news on whether this game will be released in Australia?
    The game came out a week ago and it seems like SCEA doesn't like Australia.

Perhaps it is all the dangerous/feral/poisonous animals and insects like the red back and funnel web spider, brown snake, box jellyfish and Clive Palmer.

20. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    This game is great. The controls are very good, too. Yes, you've to get used to them but after 15 minutes you play fluently. I enjoy this game and style so much. I hope Dynamighty will also add the stuff from the console version.