Countdown to One Billion Apps Downloaded

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by schooze, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Read it again
    I said the date does make sense

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Whoops. My bad

3. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Because it is now the 20th and still 14.3 Million away from 1 billion. ;)

4. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh, oh my God. I won! I ******** won! I won $10,000! hOLY ****. I won.....THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY OF MY LIFE! HELL YES! Woohooo! Now I have a Macbook! HAHAHAHAHAHA- oh, nevermind. It's just another cease and desist from Apple.

5. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Lol. Cease and desist what?

P.S. the person who downloads the billionth app gets the prizes. In case some of you can't seem to figure that out.

6. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    That's for me to know and you to never find out.;):p;)

7. brewstermax

Lol. Ok then. If you're important enough for Apple to email to stop something, it's pretty big. DH, tsk tsk.

8. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Actually that just means the contest is over..

http://www.apple.com/itunes/billion-app-countdown/rules.html
    # Timing. The Promotion shall run from 12:01 a.m. EDT on April 10, 2009 and ends with the downloading of the 1 billionth app (“Promotion Period”). For purposes of the Promotion, the downloading of the 1 billionth app is considered to be either the downloading of the 1 billionth app from iTunes or the receipt of the non-purchase entry after the download of the 999,999,999th app, whichever comes first. Only entries submitted in this time period will be accepted. Sponsor’s computer is the official time keeping device for this promotion.

9. brewstermax

Perhaps. But, the way I see it, they either will win, or be given so much other stuff for being "one billion" that it won't matter. That would be amazing to be 1,000,000,000

10. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I remember when they did this for the 1 Billionth Song downloaded. iTunes was an absolute mess when it was super close to 1 Billion...

11. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    That is why the billionth downloaded app does not automatically win anything this time.. they won it all in the song contest.

12. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Well has you guys already know, cause arn posted it on the front page they have reached a billion downloads now just to see if any of us Touch Arcaders win.

13. Ostinato

Ostinato Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    #33 Ostinato, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
    I'm pretty sure the counter on the website doesn't represent actual apps being sold in realtime. But hey, you can always go ahead, wait till it says 999,999,975 and start buying apps like crazy. :)

Edit: oh it's already over. Oh well, I wouldn't know what to buy for ten grand in the store anyway :p

14. brewstermax

It is actually live. Or less than 5 seconds behind. It is close enough. There are actually that many people buying that many apps at any given time. Come on 2 billion. I expect 2 billion by say, November?

15. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    How's about this; TA will get $20 thousand if 1 billion apps are purchased by its members. Of course, there will be questions to check and/or a login check.

16. brewstermax

Why? Arn isn't doing the whole doctor thing, so he runs TA and MacRumors full time. It'd be nice, but honestly, I don't see it as possible.

17. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    I wasn't serious. There'd be no way it would ever work.:p

18. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Don't know if you guys saw this or not but the 1 billionth app downloaded was bump http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=305479724&mt=8 it is used to exchange information from phone to phone or touch to touch, because of it being the 1 billionth download it got a feature on itunes, its free though and now #59 top free. I can only imagine what luck it would have been for a developer if it was a paid app.

19. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, I was surprised that a 13 year old (lucky b******) that won downloaded bump and not some random game or entertainment app.

I actually thought the winner was gonna be picked at random after a billion download, not the billionth download. I haven't downloaded anything all week. Ah well, I have my Touch, my Mac Pro that's apparently gonna last me through college (I'm takin' care of the puppy as if it were my own), I don't need a Time Capsule since I'm neither a musician, artist, or film maker, but those $10,000 worth of iTune credits... I could've used those... coulda used those...