Universal Cosmonautica (by Chasing Carrots)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    My first bigger ship :)

Attached Files:

2. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Startopia!!! Oh man, I loved that game!!
    With this reference you have almost sold me on this one :)

3. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #83 Quoad, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    Just bought the 55-room ship :D

Haven't filled every room yet but, after a couple of bounty missions (offered $44k not to kill each one! Turned down the first offer & for c.$30k of goods - 10 units of dodgy magazines and 8 of chemicals appears to be fairly common pirate fare). Accepted the second.

Piracy is beginning to look rewarding.

(Most irritating ship I've fought had either 2 or 3 scientists / shield gens. Was able to pretty much constantly block. Offensively hopeless, but tremendous defence - fought me to a standstill, mostly out of boredom!)

Currently have a crew with three l5 shooters on board. Which is a big commitment to guns. Not entirely sure it's a great build for anything else - the repairs robot / unit doesn't appear particularly up to the job a l5 repairer was doing.

4. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Right.

I've just traveled from the outermost planet in a system (prison planet), through the cataport, across two systems, and out to a mid-belt system (total travel time about 9 days?) in order to see if it was worth transporting rare goods across systems.

Result: the 50 units of souvenirs I picked up for 600 went for 865 each (at a travel agent planet). An utterly pointless export :D And, moreover, the estate agent will only take 30 units (at the moment, at least).

5. GDMT

GDMT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hiroshima, Japan
    Playing this on my 6+. Its a really fun game but the screen issues somewhat bothers me a lot. Like reading the text that are at the screen edges annoys me to the fact that i cant finish the damn text. Hopefully they fix this or maybe make a better port. Im not bothered with the graphics at all. Just hoping the devs fix the text issues and the crew icons when dragging get way off mark lol.

6. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I was wondering if I got the iPad version, modified the ipa, and install it on my iPhone... If that would make the graphics better than the official iPhone release?

7. Opiate

Opiate Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2015
    I also got the 55 room ship, and now it crashes within the minute of playing because it's almost too much for my iPod to run. With some fiddling around I used to be able to play for a good few hours without any crash or real problem, but since I got that ship its game over here! Oh well, was a good run - hopefully an update will come out soon addressing all these issues but for now I guess I gotta sit tight! It's an iPod 5th gen too incase anyone was wondering.

8. GDMT

GDMT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hiroshima, Japan
    I dont think there'll be any change at all but its worth a shot.

9. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Pretty lost so far.. After three hours or so I've only been able to complete the first mission.. Every other mission I've accepted I haven't completed.. Maybe I'm missing a certain room or haven't researched what I need to.. So yeah I guess I better watch some YouTube videos or catch a twitch stream.. I do like the game, just need to learn how to play.. Seems ridicoulsy deep

10. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #90 Quoad, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Which missions are you struggling with? Research won't unlock anything related to mission completion, except new systems (and access to new goods - which ime are *never* worth cross-galactic transportation).

Buy one cargo bay and room for two passengers, and things should ease up. Don't bother with any guns or ammo until you're well into the game (and can at least afford a ship that stocks torpedoes)

Never take combat missions (you can exclude them from "listed" missions by clicking on the fist tab on planets' mission screens).

Be deeply wary of "find x units of x materials" missions, unless you know a place that sells them - you won't find iron or medicine (for example) in your starting system. You won't find chemicals, minerals, souvenirs or tools either. The only missions of this kind that are worth going for (until you've gained access to new systems) are robots. Robots, food and wood. (If you can access wood? Can't remember if there's wood production in the inner circles of the first Galaxy).

Smuggling missions - well worth it if you're low on cash. Always bribe the customs officer. Be aware that "bribes" scale up in proportion to your ready cash, though - so if you've got £100k in the bank, the value of the bribe will come very near to / exceed the value of the goods you're smuggling. If skint, they're cracking earners though - c.800 credits for a top end bribe and 80% chance of success, iirc.

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #91 sapphire_neo, Aug 7, 2015
  12. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    Also my first upgrade ship.
    cosmonautica 2.jpg

I find once you unlock the outer rings in the galaxy's, the chances of coming across pirates increases a lot. Hence the gun turrets for self defence.

13. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Have they proven effective? Think I found I - at best - drew in most early encounters with pirates. Though, tbf, I didn't have either hackers or a shield...

Can also flee!

14. farmboy74

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    Not really proven that effective in early encounters as most pirates seem to have guns, torpedoes, hackers and shields!. More of a deterrent I hope as before I upgraded my ship I was running with no guns and always had to look for the "diplomatic" solution which usually involved high value cash transactions.

15. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #95 Quoad, Aug 7, 2015
    Ahhh. Let me know if deterrents work!

Afaik, the cash sum that's asked for is almost a 100% reflection of either how much hull you've got left, or how (proportionately) badly you're losing. So... pinging a few rounds off their hull won't do much if they've got torpedoes (and you can't defend against them).

The pilot's "flee" option worked for me, I think, 100% of the time. No cash loss, no cargo loss, just turn around and run.

I have vague recollections of being caught once, but might be confused on that.

As an addendum, I've never been able to catch a fleeing pirate ship either (deeply frustrating when their hull is a half inch off tanking!) which leads me to wonder if "fleeing" ships automatically go faster (as I've fled from pirates in a small tanker, and failed to catch them in a big un.)

E2a: there is also a turret upgrade which, I think, doubles the damage of bullets (to 20pts). That does begin to make the turret slightly more interesting - still wouldn't put it near anything with a shield and torpedoes tho! Two turrets @20 damage each, and that's beginning to be worth long-range pinging (before smashing em from up close w torps!)

Still want to try cannons :D

16. farmboy74

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    I'm looking forward to be able to stock torpedoes and cannons, downside to that is I need a bigger ship!

17. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    I took a crack at a combat mission.. That went south quickly... Got my butt kicked.. Then I tried a few smuggling missions.. I'd get to my destination but then didn't know what to do next.. It was a bit frustrating :(... I'm sure dedicating some more time to the game while at home rather than at work would make things easier.. I appreciate the help my friend ###

18. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    What's your overall thoughts on the game. I love the concept but I would like to see the developer address some of the issues.

19. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    It's hard to say because I haven't fully grasped what I'm doing.. UI could use some work for sure but once you get passed that and the learning curve the potential seems sky high..

@klink send me your GC name via PM.. I think I also saw you on Twitter but wasn't 100% sure.. Send me your Twitter handle as well ##

20. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    If you've definitely accepted a smuggling mission, the cargo should be taking up hold space (visible within the standard HUD, top right-ish, x units in addition to what you've purposefully bought). Can also check that the mission is live in the missions tab of your NODE screen (should also show destination planet).

Fly to the destination planet, and a customs officer *should* automatically appear, alongside a notice identifying your current chances of success of getting past him. (Probably 20-30%). However... Should also be a bribe / "oops I dropped my wallet" option - top bribe (£800ish if skint) boosts your chances of success to 80%.

If you're landing on the right planet and the mission is live, but the customs officer doesn't appear, then you've found a glitch!