Universal Cosmonautica (by Chasing Carrots)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Looks interesting and I'm a sucker for space games (have been since Elite in 1984)

is this worth a buy in its current state?

2. eksaint

eksaint Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Yes, air 2. Same bug, very annoying.long load times, great game

3. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

#63 Baracus, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    I think if you are after a more light hearted game of this style compared to the more serious and dry heavyweights then yes it's worth it for sure. It's got some fun language and a uniqe feel. I'm gonna play some more tonight now you mention it :D

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

[​IMG]

[thread=267422][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267395][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267549][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267325][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267172][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267340][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267338][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267339][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267343][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267242][​IMG][/thread]

Cosmonautica

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

July 30th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo

5. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Bought this on a bit of a whim.

Slightly put off by massively dodgy maps, with unreadable planet names.

Rapidly grew to love it, though.

Have played about 4-5hrs, attempted hardcore warfare once (backside handed to me on a plate), largely negotiating trading & transport missions.

Attempted to play it whilst working on something else (at work), and lost cash badly. Which IMO is a good sign - needs SOME attention.

Have not found it particularly humorous, but have found it to be a decent space / trading / grinding game.

6. Opiate

Opiate Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Btw I found out what that button does when in combat (the one beside you "fly circle, flee, fly by, etc.) - it's an evade button. Use it when an enemy is firing at you and you can use that button to try to dodge some shots. Personally though I find combat reeeally hard in this .. I also have the third ship too (the piranha one) which is more geared for Combat but maybe I'm just really bad it. I would say Smuggling is my favourite thing to do in the game so far, you can't beat the rush when you get by customs with a bunch of illegal goods and proceed to make a nice sum of credits from it! But watch out for getting caught as you can get a hefty fine (depending on the amount of illegal goods) and a ban from that station for a certain amount of days.

7. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I wanna play this, but don't want to start playing until the graphics res is fixed, as I don't want to ruin it for myself... And want to play it at its best, as I've been waiting a while for this to come out.

Please fix asap devs

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Me too. I would love to buy and play the heck out of this game. Before that I would like to see Chasing Carrots optimize things.

9. Ragn4rok 74

Ragn4rok 74 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Can anyone offer any advice on a good setup for your initial ship and crew?

10. ingenii

ingenii Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I tried a little bit of everything and quickly ran out of space in my ship. I regret getting a turret and a shooter so soon, since I have not fired even a single shot in anger.

Getting a repairer and a cleaner early on was good. I also added some passenger seating and find that that is a good, easy early money maker. I supplement that with some trading by buying some of whatever a planet is exporting and selling when I arrive wherever my passengers are going.

Keep an eye on what shifts you have everyone working. If you have half of your crew on the first and second watches and the other half on the third and fourth watches, you only need half as many beds.

11. Ragn4rok 74

Oct 9, 2014
    Thanks for the tips!

12. Luckithroe

Luckithroe Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Did they announce such an update already?

13. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Yeah :)

14. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    #74 Bischi777, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    So I bought this game even if I was put off from some of the comments here. And I'm glad i did.

I'm only about 3 hours inn and about to buy my first new ship, so I can't give any detailed reviews. There are still some things i don't quite get like research or battle.

But so far i'm loving it! It has a really nice Bullfrog (RIP) vibe and reminds me also of Startopia (yes i'm old). While the graphics are not hi-res i didn't find them off putting. The Game is deep but not too complicated like star base orion (which might be great but i never got the grip of it) and i can't wait to finish work to get gaming some more.

So if you like this kind of game don't let the graphics get in your way of buying it. But I don't recommend the phone version which is just too small even on my 6+.

15. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Would agree with most of what ingenious posted. Don't even bother with ℅mbat until you've got a robust ship, well equipped with torpedoes. Can't remember what I've currently got (42 empty slots, 2 turrets, torpedo) by owt less than that was a combat catastrophe. Even with a hacker and shields.

Turrets can't do enough damage to take someone down (it's hard enough with torpedoes), and a one-star difficulty combat enemy will be in a piranha thingy well able to march your own one / two turret set up. Ie, it's pointless fighting them. Best you'll end up with is a draw. And you may well lose ££££.

I started off recruiting carrotians. With enough facilities (need more as they level up) I've yet to have any serious beef from them. Also worth noting that resting on planets refills need bars / restocks morale so you can last without a gym with a few l4 characters for a while.

My best money earners have been cargo. Particularly missions asking for robots @2,800 or food @750. Needs capital up front (you only get paid at the end of the mission) but eg I've got well over 60 food units to a fast food joint. At c.3-400 credits profit per unit, that's a result.

Robots are gnarlier (far more capital needed) but I've turned well over 20-30,000 units on a single mission.

Currently running w/56 cargo spaces. Will take opportunistic passengers (8 slots atm) and 1-2 star battles for lulz. Still can't guarantee a kill on two-star, which says something about how hard battles can be.

16. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Combat ready! Sort of.

Attached Files:

17. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Nice!

How many labs do you guys have?

18. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I've only got one, and have only ever had one. I should probably re-emphasise that I've only got a low / mid level ship, but it's decent enough for most purposes.

And with a willingness to do a bit of cautious trading / grinding (and not much of a focus on researching galactic exploration) I've researched every element (and so unlocked every room / weapon / upgraded room element).

19. Ragn4rok 74

Oct 9, 2014
    Awesome! Thanks I was wondering about combat and when to worry about it so you answered my question.

20. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I am properly pleased with this result!

Got 18t of chemicals through a couple of combat victories (haven't seen them sold anywhere) so held onto them until I could find a mission that needed em.

$1,900 per unit, in return for no unit cost - but, to be rigorous, the cost of ammunition and repairs (tbf, probably about $7-10,000 over 19 units, thoroughly defrayed by bounty payments).

And 29 units of robots, ballpark $8-900 profit/unit. (Bounced back and forth between robot manufacturers three times, clearing out their stock, before heading on to my target planet).

I reckon that's comfortably over $48,000 profit from one mission.

Time to visit the shipyard!

Attached Files: