Universal Cosmonautica (by Chasing Carrots)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    This will need a lot of work before they get me interested again. I'm happy that i could dodge the bullet, thanks to some early impressions. I will return the favour.

2. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Even without the crashing I didn't really like this game it's much too slow for me during the voyage to other planets and I don't really get off on just sitting here watching the crew sit on the toilet. Not my cup of tea at all.

3. Aezio26

Aezio26 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Director
    Newark on Trent, England
    You could say it's "repulsive" just my little joke there..moving on.

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm curious if those seeing it as lo res on iPad Airs went into options and disabled the "scan lines" effect? I could see the game's default to scan lines making it appear more pixelated than it actually really is.

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    So I picked it up despite all the negative feedback because I'm a sucker for this sort of hybrid and this theme in particular. I haven't faced any crashes on iPad 4 so far, although the performance is less than stellar. The gameplay seems like it could be ridiculously deep. Only about 30 minutes in and I'm loving it just for the presentation alone.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Not much of a tutorial that I could find, just some detail behind what each of the game's many sub sections do the first time you access them, so this will likely be a game you need to just explore the UI yourself for quite a bit just to figure out what exactly is going on. Fairly intuitive once you get it, but a bit overwhelming at first.

I made the mistake thinking the initial ship was ready to go right off, but really all the game starts you with is a super bare bones hull with a bridge, toilet, and engine. Things like crew, crew quarters, cargo holds, and weapon systems all need to be installed by you before you set out into space.

7. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    The start to that trailer gave me flashbacks to Space Colony... -watches trailer again-

8. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I might just get this and wait until it gets patched up before playing.. I buy pretty much every steam port that's released on iOS.. So yeah I'll take the plunge

9. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    @LordGek ,

Sounds tedious. I hate tedium. And even the screen shots look lo-res and blurry.

10. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I took a punt on this as well.
    Folks, it's really not that bad resolution. It's just there's no anti-aliasing and it's not retina so you can see some jaggies on 3D models when there is slight angled edges but it's really nowhere near as bad as these comments make it sound.

The first intro video maybe casts a bad impression coz the game logo is not anti-aliased and is animated so it kind of flickers a bit.

I installed to my Mini3 and iPhone6 and haven't had a crash yet. Seems perfectly playable on the smallers screen but I'll stick with the Mini.

Game seems to have a ton of stuff to do and a fun feel to it. Only spent about an hour so far but it beats the pants off things like Tiny Tower whilst being of a similar vein in some ways.

Anyway I wouldn't hold out for a retina update. I'm sure if they could have managed it they would but it probably crippled performance.

As LG said the 'scan lines' option turned to off can make a difference but I think it runs a touch faster with it on.

11. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Hmm, I came on here to post how impressed I was with the game's performance on my crappy iPad 3, but it seems that I am in the minority. I don't know if there is an issue with the iPad air or something but it runs absolutely fine for me and looks great.

I've only had a chance to play for a little over an hour so far, but I haven't had any problems at all.

12. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    It's just a shame to work so hard on a game and then skimp on the final steps of polishing it. It might have loads of potential but the experience is compromised by graphical and stability issues. For me to consider purchasing it I would need to see improvement via updates.

13. Opiate

Opiate Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Yeah I played it for a bit and I find it can be a bit laggy sometimes and it does crash a bit often for me - like when I go to a different galaxy and land on a station it almost always crashes but I just restart the app and it's fine for a another run. That being said I am having a lot of fun with this so far! It's pretty hard starting out in my opinion but that's what draws me in personally, and to the person who said it takes way too long to travel somewhere ... Have you tried speeding up the time? You can fast forward time and it's not bad at all in my opinion.

Long story short, one of the coolest original games on the App Store! Seriously guys give it a chance and put some more time in it cause a lot of fun can be had ;)

14. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Rant on [

That's what depress me most, all the potential. Developers please polish, polish, and polish some more. This is especially true for ports. As an example this was a made many people choose Sproggiwood over Desktop Dungeons.
    ] Rant off

I promise no more rants about this game. Or at least until I buy it. #

15. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    I think Opiate's "put some more time in it" was directed to us, not to developers to polish the game more, meaning not to give up after 5 minutes just because the graphic looks low res or the UI too small or the game doesn't explain much.
    I'm afraid mobile gaming calls in for instant gratification and games that require a considerable amount of time to be understood and are not supa-hi-rez-shiny are quickly discarded :/

16. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    That's kinda uh bull crap though because if there are problems, these need to be fixed. It's not up to us, the consumer, to be ok with the game crashing, it doing a very bad job explaining itself, the UI being too small etc

17. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Fun game so far, dev's are pretty social over on the steam forums.

18. LarryWP

LarryWP Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2013
    I notice too that they are responding to a lot of bug issues over at Steam. The game has bugs still but the devs are right on top of the complaints. That's always a good sign. I'm convinced that they will be fixing the iOS version soon.

;)

19. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm enjoying the game immensely. So much charm and flavor. It's exactly what I had been expecting of the game. Let the deluge of ports continue! Next up, Dungeon of the Endless and Prison Architect :D

20. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Dungeon of the endless is coming to iPad actually