iPad Cooking Star (by Glu) is out

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Fletch, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    #1 Fletch, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    [app]Cooking Star[/app] is now available on the app store. Sounds similar to Cooking Mama, but (supposedly) better. It's currently priced at $2.99.

2. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    $3 seems steep, so I will wait for some initial impressions.

3. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

sky burger vs cooking star.....which should I get? :confused:

...j/k.

can't wait to hear thoughts on the game, looks neat!

4. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    i was waitingfor this. thanks for the notice. gotta be downloading this tomorrow since im gettig sleepy right now.

5. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
  6. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    Now it's only missing Cops and Robbers and the minigolf game from the games they anounced
    I'm waiting for cops n robbers hope it will hit soon
    I will wait for impresions of this one but they have to be really nice to make me buy it

7. TideTime

TideTime Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Interesting, but I'm surprised there's only 8 mini games. Anyone have more insight on this?

8. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I have been waiting for this one. I hope it's better than Cooking Mama..

9. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Am I the only one that read Choking Star? :confused:

10. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Possibly ;) Are you going to TOFTT?

11. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Not on this one, have too many games to go :D

12. eggrolls11

eggrolls11 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    The gameplay looks a bit repetitive... :D I think I'll pass...

13. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I picked this one up as soon as I saw it on the app store, so I'll post impressions tomorrow. I'm not actually a fan of Cooking Mama, but this one looked interesting.

14. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I just bought this. I'll post impressions in a bit.

15. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Ok, here are my impressions:

There are 3 different modes; Story Mode, Challenge and Today's Special.

Story Mode
    - You play each of the 8 mini games and if you get over 70 points you unlock the new difficulty for that mini game. If you finish a mini game at the highest difficulty (5 stars) you unlock a challenge dish in Challenge and a recipe.

Challenge
    - You "try to beat your own record", I'm not really sure what it means by that because I haven't played for very long.

Today's Special
    - You get 5 different dishes (mini games) at different difficulty levels to do each day. If you get a combined score above the target score you unlock a recipe. The recipes are real recipes that you can cook in your own kitchen.

In each of these modes you are basically just repeating the same 8 mini games again and again in different difficulties. This isn't a particularly bad thing but more variety would be appreciated.

Here are what the mini games are:

Kebab
    - You have to touch the kebabs when the arrow shows and then flip your device to turn the kebab over. You then shake your device to add spices.

Rice Ball
    - You tilt your device to move the rice ball around to collect the flour. You have to do this without hitting water or letting the ball fall off the chopping board.

Tofu
    - You have to cut up the tofu into the right size pieces when it goes in slow motion. Basically you have to swipe in the right directions before the slow motion time runs out.

Burger - You have to catch the right ingredients as they fall from above, much like Sky Burger. You can also tap the wrong ingredients to move them out of the way. I don't like the tilt controls much for this game they seem to lag a bit.

Chowder
    - You have to stir the chowder in the right direction while stopping the wrong ingredients from going in it by tapping them. This mini game confused me as I wasn't sure which ingredients were good and which were bad; it's pretty obvious that egg shells and fish bones are bad ingredients but I wasn't sure about others.

Escargot
    - You have to remember how many drops of water are in each shell and then tap the shells the right amount of times. At higher difficulties the shells are moved about to confuse you.

Meatballs - You have to "flick the meatballs off the cutting board to bounce it into the pot". Tilting your device changes the direction of the ball. This mini game confused me slightly, I'm still not really sure how to make the meatballs go in the right direction...

Borscht
    - You have to tap the valves while the bubbles are in the circles along to the rhythm. This is basically Tap Tap but in a cooking game.

Overall I think this game is worth $2.99, although at the moment you could get bored of the current mini games, but if new mini games are added periodically then it shouldn't be very repetitive. I haven't got Cooking Mama so I can't compare them but for half the price and mini games which suit the iDevice I think Cooking Star is probably better.

Finally here are some screen shots:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These are the mini games Burger, Tofu, Kebab and Meatballs.

16. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Thanks for the impressions, I might get it because it seems quite intresting.

17. Selina

Selina Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Kent, England
    Hmmm.... just tried to get this, on the basis that I like Build-a-lot so much, but it seems it is being modified - I just hope in a good way.... :)

18. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I just may buy this. Just maybe...

I agree though, I feel more minigames should be added. 8 doesn't seem like a lot.

19. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I hope that it's not a price drop so soon, I only bought it a few hours ago... :(

Then again if there is a price drop it will be better for everyone else. Still...

20. Swordplay

Swordplay Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Chicago
    Looks great! I love cooking mama but it was too short for 7 bucks. I hope this game last longer.