iPad Cooking Mama + Lite are out $6.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ness_, Feb 26, 2009.

1. ness_

ness_ Member

Feb 19, 2009
    ;student
    ;California
    #1 ness_, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
    Looks like Cooking Mama just came out. Here's the link.

[App Store Link, $6.99]

[​IMG]

2. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member

Link is broken for me.

I was actually thinking the other day that the iPhone is practically begging for a game like this. Not that I'm a fan of Cooking Mama, but it has a lot of casual appeal and I think between the accelerometer and touch features that there's a lot of potential. I'd probably play the Lite version (if there is one) to get some ideas.

3. ness_

ness_ Member

Feb 19, 2009
    ;student
    ;California
    Oh alright thanks, I did a search in the app store and saw a lite version come up in search but no app.
    I'll get a better link, but if you want to see it, it should come up on app store search.

4. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  5. This game is totally not what I thought it was going to be -- unless mama is one of the new recipes mentioned in the first screenshot.

Personally though, I think my mama would come out tough and gamey.

6. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand you... Please explain.

7. ItzWei

ItzWei Active Member

Dec 14, 2008
    yes, please tell us more!
    I REALLY WANT THIS GAME. but I don't know if the 7$ is worth it..

8. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco

hahahahahahaha lmao

9. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    I guess he wants to cook mama.
    Anyone tried? The ds version was nice and there is a 2nd chapter too. The only thing that I dislike on the ds version is that when you cook all the recipes there is not much more to do, there is not much replay after that, but is a fun game for a time

10. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Fun one of the most novel game ever to come out for the DS that makes even boys want to cook, but there lies the problem, chances are alot of people already played the DS version.
    And Im sure the accelerometer would bring some new feeling to the game over the DS, I really wouldnt spend another 6 bucks on pretty much the same game.

If you havent played cooking mama before, try it, its a very good game which Im sure even your wife would get a kick out of and Im sure its well worth 6 bucks.
    But if you have played it before like me, I have even finished cooking mama 2.
    Why would you want to play this all over again?

11. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I already own cooking mama 1 and 2 on DS and cooking mama wii - well, actually I took the last one for my mama. Anyway I think I will pass, enough mama for me.

12. See, without context, the title could imply that the game is about ... um ... y'know ... roasting mom.

In the oven.

Yeah, lame joke. Never mind. Carry on.

13. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I played Cooking Mama on the DS. I kinda think it costs too much compared to the other stuff I like here.

14. Porsupah

Porsupah Well-Known Member

Is there any word yet on how this compares to the previous versions? The price is certainly far better than over in DS-land, but less so if it turns out to be some microscopic subsection of the real thing.

Not that I mind too much either way - I have Zen Bound. ^_^

15. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I hope they come out with a lite version. Sounds fun.

16. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    They should, it's showing up in the search just not live yet... I played 1 and 2 on DS and I actually liked them, I just want to try the lite first to make sure I like it still....

17. sushibox

sushibox Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Chief Design Lead (corporate): Web/Interactive/Pri
    Nashville, TN
    #17 sushibox, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
    This game really has to be taken with a grain of salt, no pun intended. I own the previous incarnations of Cooking Mama, and therefore I'm most likely bias towards this being a pleasurable experience, but it's most definitely not a game for everyone.

Something that you've really got to understand before you spend the money on this, is that it's extremely similar to it's predecessors. It really earns some points in my book for style and execution, and for just about anyone interested it would leave a really nice first impression. The downside of this game is that it doesn't have content that really allows it to hold up over time. The re-play factor is extremely limited, and from where I'm at in the game it seems that the initial recipe collection is smaller than the previous games. That means that this will probably not take terribly long to play through entirely, and of course once you accomplish this there's little more to do in the game other than re-play existing recipes to perfect what you've already done. The mini-games are repetitive and as I said, once you're done you're basically done unless you want to start the process all over, or just play through specific recipes simply for the fun of it. With all that said, the $6.99 price tag is a little steep, and will most likely leave a sour taste in anyones mouth (again, no pun intended) that wanted a game that would give them something to do for a good long time.

Now this isn't all doom and gloom, because as I said before I'm actually a fan of the series. For someone that is either really interested in the games, or has played them before and is willing to give this one a shot, I say the $6.99 price tag is definitely worth it (however I suspect it won't be too terribly long into this game's life before we see a price drop). I saw this on TA last night in bed, and lost it entirely, purchasing it almost immediately. I've been playing it on and off all day, and I can honestly say it was worth the purchase, and I love it. It has an amazing amount of polish, the use of the iDevice is wonderful and very natural, and the content is exactly what I expected. Let me break it down, in a positive way, for what this game really is good for.

Content:
    Like I said, this seems to have less recipes than it's predecessors. You start out with 4 recipes, and by accomplishing them correctly enough will unlock the next set. The main "Let's Cook" screen has Mama standing in front of a countertop with the four dishes, and two heart shaped arrows that can be tapped or swiped to continue to the next array of options. There seems to be four "countertops" of recipes total (although the last countertop has only 3 question marks displayed) which leaves us with 15 dishes total (however this may change depending on there being unlockable recipes that you can open up by completing all of them, or all of them on gold medal. From the main menu of the game there's also a "Cooking Contest" option, which seems to be the standard "practice" mode for the existing mini-games (such as chop, cut, stew, add, etc...) where you play through three rounds of progressively increasing difficulty on the same mini-game.

Difficulty:
    If you're a veteran to the Cooking Mama games, this is almost exactly like the DS/Wii incarnations in almost every respect. This means, unfortunately, that the things you'll be doing in the iDevice version are also exactly like the other incarnations, so if you were looking for "something new" I've yet to find it. That doesn't detract from the overall fun of the game, but I jumped into the menu right away earning a gold medal on my first attempt creating Potato Salad. Now I assume the recipes will become more complex, but seeing as the mini-games themselves remain virtually the same, this game doesn't pose very much of a challenge for those seeking something to give them a run for their money. In fact it would seem that, in my short time playing it (5 gold medals, 3 silver), you aren't penalized when you screw up all the time as you were in the other versions. For instance, it was important during a "Chop!" mini-game to chop the veggies finely, however here as long as you chop the veggies within the time limit you get a perfect score. I could be reading this wrong, but it seems much easier to make Mama happy on an iDevice.

Presentation:
    This is really where this game shines. This is extremely polished, in almost every way. I watched a video review of this, where the guy on the video finds it difficult to sauté and remarks something along the lines of "see, sometimes they stick, it's a little glitchy". However you don't necessarily need to us the device like a frying pan (shaking it forward away from you and back) to accomplish this task, you can simply shift the food around in the pan using your fingers as if it were a spatula. From the between-game Mama splash screens (from starry-eyed proud to fiery-eyed pissed) this retains all of the character that the other games have. The mini-games are of course throwbacks to the other games, and play almost the same. Swipe across a potato to cut it in half, swirl your finger in a bowl to mix or stir, slice your finger down a carrot to peel it, and tilt the device around to spread butter on a pan. You can even lightly toss the device from one hand to the next to form hamburger patties or use the device like the handle of a frying pan and virtually flip and sauté food by jerking the iphone towards/away from you (however like I said before there are actually more than one way to accomplish the tasks before you). The music is repetitive, but cute in the traditional Cooking Mama style. As soon as the theme begins to play I recognized it and began to whistle along with it. From the menu-change chimes to the sizzle of a pan and the sloshing sound of kneading dough, this retains all of the feel of the other Mama games without a doubt. The only thing I really miss is the "WUNDAFUR! BETTUH ZEN MAMAH!" you'd get ever time you did something right in the Wii version. That woman's poor iterations made the Wii version something special, that's for sure.

Endurance and Lasting Appeal:
    Unfortunately, even as a fan of the series, this is where the game seems to let me down. Now, like I said I'm only a handful of recipes into the game. There could be hidden unlockables that I'm totally unaware of, however if there aren't and the only menu I have to look forward too are the initial 15, I'll be a little let down. This of course can be remedied by way of updates, adding to the menu, which can give this game limitless potential... well maybe not limitless, but I digress. As I said before, once you chop, you've chopped. The next time you chop, it's the same, regardless if it's bamboo shoots or garlic. Once you've sliced meat, you know what you're looking at. There are only a few "firsts" here, so playing through the game may seem a little repetitive. As I also said before though, I'm bias pro this game, so I have absolutely no problem with that, and almost find it comforting that I can go into a recipe and say "Wow I don't know how to steam veggies yet, but I can certainly chop and slice, so at least I'll get somewhat of a good score." As it stands though, this game seems like it's going to be very short, especially in comparison to other iDevice fare (some of which have unlimited potential for new game interaction). Nothing in Cooking Mama is unlimited, and no matter how slow you are at completing the game, eventually you will. My suggestion is to pace yourself and enjoy the game. Don't decide to rush through it, and in two days be upset that you've just wasted $7.00 on a game that really only took three hours total to beat. There is a decent amount of content here, especially for the price, but re-playability, that I'm not sure of. Once beaten, I can imagine that most people won't return to Mama's kitchen unless they are either really bored, or updates bring new menu items.

Overall:
    I think this game is awesome, but like I said before I'm bias. As soon as I saw Cooking Mama on the TA "newest games" page I gasped. "Could it be!? COOKING MAMA OH CRAP!" and downloaded it as fast as my fingers could type in my iTunes password. I don't regret the decision at all, and have been enjoying it with bells on all day. I really like this running brand, and hope to see Cooking Mama games remain moderately successful. Frankly I can see a lot of potential in this game, and as I said with it's very natural use of the iDevice, I can't see anything truely wrong with it. You get what you pay for, and if you were looking for a fun, solid title that looks like there was some good thought put into it (regardless if you've played the others) this may be for you. If you're unsure, wait for the Lite version to appear, or for a price drop, but I think that it's worth a shot at least eventually. This is a little light on content, but there's still plenty of content there, however that line in the sand is a tough call to it's worth versus it's weight. If you're a fan, it's a no-brainer, however with the content the game currently has the price may seem a little steep to some, so that's definitely something that should be heavily considered before tossing money at it.

If you liked the other Mama games, buy it, you won't be disappointed, as long as you understand what your getting yourself into. This has all of the magic of the other games and certainly won't disappoint. I've had nothing but fun with it, and I've only completed a few of the recipes (because I'm trying to get a gold medal in each one before I continue). Like I said, pace yourself and you'll hopefully have just as much fun as I am, and the game may last a little bit longer. With that said, happy cooking!

18. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    Sushi u gonna write review

19. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Longest Post I've ever seen Sushi. I already have the DS on, so I'll pass.

20. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    sorry too slow