Universal Contra: Evolution (by PunchBox Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jan 21, 2013.

1. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I loved up up down down left right left right BA BA start when I was barely a teenager.

However I quickly purchased Contra for IPad when it was accidentally released close to a month ago and the controls were lousy. I'm hoping that this version is not only updated to English, but the controls are a lot more solid than the first attempt.

I'm on Eastern time and will purchase the English version.

Perhaps I will simply be able to download it for free.

I'll take one for the team either way and report back.

2. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Wait, why has his been pulled?

3. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Contra was pulled a month ago after it was released for several hours. I purchased it in the US app store. I had a feeling this would happen. The developer mentioned somewhere that improvements needed to be made.

As far as I know, Contra is scheduled for release tomorrow morning around 5am in New Zealand, and will make its way around the world like all other titles do.

I don't know how much Konami has to do with this remake.

4. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I've waiting much about this game on US AppStore, but until now, I can't see the game. And now, I think that I've lost time to do it. :(

5. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Imho, the diagonal shooting caused some trouble and the jump button on the right side had a bit too little active zone. Despite that, they are very responsive! You used 'lousy' and that is just Not True, again imho.

Also, iphone version speaking, it was hold in perfect english. But now i can see the update out in my swiss app store, but this time it's only written in japanese !? I'm gonna wait until somebody can confirm that it's safe.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just updated and played it. Got to the end of the first level, i think it plays well

When i died it said to continue i could use 65 gold or something to continue (i had 2000) so theres a lot of continues there!

Only had a quick go but plays well, 3 different control schemes, joystick, movable joystick or the old skool arrow buttons.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Trying the HD version's update now. Hopefully the controls aren't as abysmal as they used to be.

8. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    i'm updating too...it says brand new levels as first point....woooowww!!

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well, I'll be damned. I don't know what it is...but this is actually playable!

And enjoyable (!!!)

10. nissportrk

nissportrk Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Verdict is in: More Annoying In App Purchases! New controls are a little better, still pretty hard to use I think. I'll probably end up deleting this; I think the developers need to be compensated, but IAP just kills the fun of the games for me.

11. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Updated as well.
    My two issues i had about three posts ago are way better than before, great. Even the graphics seems to be a tic crisper on my iphone5 now.
    Another nice surprise was that you unlock the missions earlier, since quite a grinding was/is needed.
    The iaps are the same as before, meaning, you can't earn diamonds while playing, just buying for real cash. You need diamonds to buy continues or the real good weapons, but they are way too expensive.
    Another new thing is that you can spend 200 ingame cash for a weapon, but you don't know which one you get. I play every day since the game came out and i earn 1500 cash for that (daily log in).

I still think it'a an easy recommendation for one buck !

12. Terwilke

Terwilke Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I haven't used them but you can just pay coins instead of diamonds to continue. That's a step up Punchbox... But I figure we should have a way to earn diamonds since we have already purchased the game

13. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Contra code is $60. Somebody is rotting in their grave.
    Game is playable though. Music not as good as original, its a tad slower. Finished level 4 though. Seems easier than original. Harder difficulty levels likely reach the original difficulty.

Not too sad i bought it, nostalgia rules. Wish there was a perfect original port though, original music/ graphics. Maybe iap reskin, lolz

14. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Yep, right. I just died in level 8 and a continue here was 1698$. I like this.

15. SrMomo

SrMomo Active Member

Apr 11, 2013
    I'm glad that everybody seems to be happy with the new update. Has anyone seen the "new" levels?

16. MrToffee79

MrToffee79 Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    What confuses me is that this game actually is in the german store but only in chinese/korean.

17. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Just curious, but did you mean, "..somebody's rolling in their grave..", instead of "rotting"?
    Well, just because everyone rots in their grave, bad Contra game or not. #

18. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    I wanna get this game, but have a question.

Lets say someone keeps dying, does that mean they will have to pay for constant continues or is there a way to buy permanent continues.

19. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    I wanna get this game, but have a question.

Lets say someone keeps dying, does that mean they will have to pay for constant continues or is there a way to buy permanent continues?

20. SrMomo

SrMomo Active Member

Apr 11, 2013
    For what I've seen, you start now with 5 lives, if you lose all of those, depending on the level you die and If you want to continue, there is an amount of "gold" that you have to pay. This gold can be achieved by playing the game and leveling up. You can also pay "diamonds" but these can't be obtained by only playing, you have to pay real money if you want more.